Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #1,051 of 1,255
Quite obvious :D

just do it

I did, don't worry. To quote:
"rose mini6 use 2 times mini2 configuration and 2pcs of the Knowles gdxx mids driver"
I have no clue what this gdxx driver refers to beyond the fact that its Knowles. In any case the MIni6 is 6-Driver 3-Way in terms of configuration. So Sonion 2600 x2, Mystery Knowles x2 (ED is my guess) and Knowles WBFK x2.
Additionally they provided me with a frequency graph. However there is no reference to compare, so take that with a big grain of salt.

mini2 frequency graphic.png

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #1,052 of 1,255
@ryanjsoo As my ears are by no means as refined as yours, I'll do my best. To me, the Pudding's strongest feature is it's bass, although this is a very subjective assessment as I prefer a fun sound vs analytical. I'd imagine it's a very capable basshead IEM when properly EQ'd and pushed in that direction, but considering I've never heard a true basshead IEM I can't say for sure. With the sub-bass region pushed as far as the Opus #1 is capable, vocals are pushed slightly back, but are still more than forward enough for the task. With no EQ, the bass is a little elevated over the vocals when called for, but not by much, with vocals feeling fairly close, but not directly in your head. Cymbals have a nice splash to them, but by no means do not feel hot or close. I have zero treble sensitivity, so me judging what is considered too much for some is a difficult assessment as I've yet to hear anything that's too much to my ears. It does not feel as if it's treble-heavy however. I'm a horrible judge of sound stage as I have virtually no depth perception due to a noticeable difference in prescription between my two eyes, but the track I'm listening to to refresh my memory feels a little closed in, so I wouldn't be surprised if sound stage is a bit closed. As I'm primarily an earbud listener, what may be somewhat spacious for IEMs might feel more closed in for earbuds, so keep that in mind. A track I often listen to to get a feel for a phone is Nobuo Uematsu - Memoro de la Stono, which usually can give me a sense of space, but it does feel a little more closed in especially when compared to something like the Mojito. It reminds me of listening to music at a club vs a stadium show. Overall, to my ears it has a bit of a fun slant to the sound, with an elevated bass that reminds me a little of the IE800, with vocals fairly close behind. As with the other two Rose products I own, it's very easily driven, using 80/160 Opus #1 volume in balanced and no EQ. The tip I'm using is a short bi-flange made by Hifiman that's often included with their IEMs as it's for me the best at comfort & isolation for the tips I own.

I hope that helps somewhat in making a decision. I also remember thinking when I got it that if I had to choose between my IE800 & Pudding, I'd chose the IE800, but if that broke I'd feel with the Pudding I had a good enough IEM that I wouldn't feel the need to replace it. This is also an assessment coming from nowhere close to the high-end IEM experience many on Head-Fi have.

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,053 of 1,255
I did, don't worry. To quote:
"rose mini6 use 2 times mini2 configuration and 2pcs of the Knowles gdxx mids driver"
I have no clue what this gdxx driver refers to beyond the fact that its Knowles. In any case the MIni6 is 6-Driver 3-Way in terms of configuration. So Sonion 2600 x2, Mystery Knowles x2 (ED is my guess) and Knowles WBFK x2.
Additionally they provided me with a frequency graph. However there is no reference to compare, so take that with a big grain of salt.

I guess they are referring to one of these Knowles GD drivers: http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products...sories/Hearing-instrument-receivers/GD-series

Oct 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,054 of 1,255
Oct 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,056 of 1,255
@Saoshyant Thanks for your detailed impressions! I have the ie800 as well, actually very familiar with it, so the pudding definitely sounds interesting to me. I'll be heading to Asia at the end of the year, hopefully, I'll be able to try one out.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #1,057 of 1,255
I had a chat to Rose today and received some basic info about the Mini 6 for those that are curious. For reference, I appreciate a mid-forward sound but personally enjoy a balanced sound, even a slightly u-shaped one. The Mini 2 was bang on in terms of my tonal preferences and one of my favourites around that price despite end to end extension and some other aspects not blowing me away.

The Mini 6 was initially marketed as a midrange focussed earphone, but Rose are aiming for a similar tonality to the Mini 2 which is great in my books since the similarly priced BR5 MKII already offers a nice midrange focused tuning. They especially focussed on improving the bass performance of the Mini 6 when compared to the Mini 2 in addition to greater detailing; apparently it's more detailed than the BR5 MKII which I found to be a very well detailed earphone for the price. And, quoting Rose directly, "comparing the Mini 2 to the Mini 6 would be like comparing the EMX500 to the HD650".

So it's looking like a pretty interesting model, I'm especially curious about bass since it's using the same drivers as the Mini 2, just two of them. I'll be getting my hands on one when they start rolling out and will be sure to address any questions you guys might have in addition to confirming Rose's claims. Hope that helps some curious buyers out!

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #1,061 of 1,255
Can anyone provide a frequency graph of BR5 MKII?

I've posted my measurements on frequency-response.blogspot.com. It's important to note that my calibration and compensation (diffuse-field compensation) are not perfect though and subtract too much level around 3 and 6 kHz, so the results shouldn't be seen as absolute but relative but still provide good use if you compare them among each other and/or keep in mind that you should, in your mind, add up to 10 dB more level around 3 kHz and about 5 dB more around 6 kHz to get to what would be the actual diffuse-field-compensated measurement of the particular IEM.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #1,062 of 1,255
Ordered Rose Masyas a couple of weeks ago from Penon Audio (standard shipping). They shipped fast and the parcel reached my city in the north of Sweden much sooner than expected.
Unfortunately the local postal office seem to have misplaced it during sorting and the package is nowhere to be found.. Imagine my dissapointment..

Anyone have any experience in dealing with Penon in matters like this?

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,063 of 1,255
@HerrWallen I had a similar encounter with USPS, said delivered online 3/4 days earlier than the item actually delivered. I emailed Penon in between and was basically told there was nothing they can do if the problem is with the local shipping service. Everything was resolved in the end but not with any help from Penon. (Nor do I think it is their responsibility to resolve the problem either though)

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #1,064 of 1,255
Well, I'm hoping that my shipment will turn up eventually, dealing with the Swedish postal service is a special ring of hell I'd gladly stay away from.

Nor do I think it is their responsibility to resolve the problem either though

I suspected that, was hoping for more though (in my sad depressed state) but thank you anyway for that.
Ironically, if my order had been within Sweden it is the sellers responsability to reimburse me as the customer and claim that cost off of the postalservice so I'm between chairs here.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,065 of 1,255
@HerrWallenEverything was resolved in the end but not with any help from Penon. (Nor do I think it is their responsibility to resolve the problem either though)
Honestly I'm baffled when I read this.

It is always the responsability of the sender to manage issues with shipment.
Because you have absolutely no mean to act as the recipient.
What can vary is the actions the sender can take depending on how the shipment was made.

If the shipment was made without tracking and insurance, there is obviously not much anyone can do, meaning it is up to the sender to do a commercial gesture or not in the end.
If the shipment was made with tracking and insurance, then a true investigation can be made, and the buyer can be either refunded or get a replacement item after some time (usually after a month to be sure the item was declared lost after investigating).

Penon also offers DHL shipment, although you'll have to pay VAT to DHL upon arrival for Europe. It is much safer than normal mail for expensive items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back