Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #796 of 1,255
  I think the mini2 should be. but did they ever make a mini before? At least i wish the mini2 was more of a budget offering than it is. It had better be pretty dang good for 99 and having any knowles in it, at all.

Also I was lookin at the Capp mk2 page... uh, what's up with the stock cable? It looks like a horrible mess

Cap mk2 owners, does it at least sound good? This looks so ridiculous I don't even know where to start with it. I really wish I had a spare MMCX for this. barf

BTW, I REALLY dislike the Pudding cable too.  It's just an obnoxious argumentative piece of junk that doesn't want to easily bend.  If only my Pudding was MMCX.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #797 of 1,255
  I think the mini2 should be. but did they ever make a mini before? At least i wish the mini2 was more of a budget offering than it is. It had better be pretty dang good for 99 and having any knowles in it, at all.

Also I was lookin at the Capp mk2 page... uh, what's up with the stock cable? It looks like a horrible mess

Cap mk2 owners, does it at least sound good? This looks so ridiculous I don't even know where to start with it. I really wish I had a spare MMCX for this. barf

It does sound good.Really good. The cable isn't that bad once you get used to it, and if you buy the Van-Gough Blue version it looks quite nice. This version, on the other hand, does not. 

I've switched the stock cable for a spare 90-degree Ares II I had laying around.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #798 of 1,255
  It does sound good.Really good. The cable isn't that bad once you get used to it, and if you buy the Van-Gough Blue version it looks quite nice. This version, on the other hand, does not. 

I've switched the stock cable for a spare 90-degree Ares II I had laying around.

Phew, cause I got the Van Gogh. If Penon ever ships it! 
angry_face.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #799 of 1,255
  Phew, cause I got the Van Gogh. If Penon ever ships it! 
angry_face.gif

Van Gogh blue is beautiful, who would want these ugly red/blue pairs ?
biggrin.gif

The stock cable is quite stiff, being pure mono-strand copper (2 big strands per side).
I went for a balanced silver-plated copper FiiO cable, to slightly reduce bass impact and extend treble a bit. The usual effect and balanced does add a bit of air and soundstage, at least with Cayin N5.

Pure bass lovers should keep the stock cable. Thick copper strands usually maximize bass with my IEMs I had in the past.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #800 of 1,255
  Van Gogh blue is beautiful, who would want these ugly red/blue pairs ?
biggrin.gif

The stock cable is quite stiff, being pure mono-strand copper (2 big strands per side).
I went for a balanced silver-plated copper FiiO cable, to slightly reduce bass impact and extend treble a bit. The usual effect and balanced does add a bit of air and soundstage, at least with Cayin N5.

Pure bass lovers should keep the stock cable. Thick copper strands usually maximize bass with my IEMs I had in the past.

Well, considering the way electricity works, most people should be fine as both copper and silver are above the minimum conductivity barriers for replaying music.

I've tested three copper cables and one silver cable. No differences on my end.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #802 of 1,255
Hey @FUYU

I am just curious when you are expected to get your Mini2? Did they send it DHL?

I asked penon to just send my Cappuccino after a few days of not being able to decide on the Mini2, but I'll get one for myself depending on your review 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #803 of 1,255
  Hey @FUYU

I am just curious when you are expected to get your Mini2? Did they send it DHL?

I asked penon to just send my Cappuccino after a few days of not being able to decide on the Mini2, but I'll get one for myself depending on your review 
biggrin.gif

I'm also trying to get a hold of Penon Audio, as I too want a Mini2. It's about time I got a tiny IEM. The last one I had was the AAW Q (which was immensely small). I should probably go find that and give a good listen, as its been a while.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #804 of 1,255
  I'm also trying to get a hold of Penon Audio, as I too want a Mini2. It's about time I got a tiny IEM. The last one I had was the AAW Q (which was immensely small). I should probably go find that and give a good listen, as its been a while.

Give em an email soon... apparently my Capp mk2 will be in the hands of DHL very soon... and i'd love to hear more mini2 reviews in return. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Might convince me to get one.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #805 of 1,255
Hey @FUYU

I asked penon to just send my Cappuccino after a few days of not being able to decide on the Mini2, but I'll get one for myself depending on your review :D

No clue to be honest. I chose their standard shipping option. My experience with DHL is mediocre at best, hence I try to avoid it as much as possible.
The only other thing I've ever ordered from Penon was the VE Monk and TY-32, which took around 2 weeks. Guess it will be around the same for the Mini2.
Not that I mind though. My expectations are quite low TBH. I was more attracted to the (what seems like) deep insertion and isolation for on the road.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #808 of 1,255
I'm thinking to order the blue shell mmcx BR5, I know it didn't get a spectacular review and that it's light on bass and treble, but I dig how it has beefy capacitors and resistors in it's crossover, the only other iem crossover with beefy components I know about is Sony Z5. Also seems like the BR5 has a lot of damping in the bass and treble BA output's to put the mids forward, I'm talking with the Taobao store to get my BR5 tuned more to my liking. Penon gave me this graph of the stock BR5. I might try get a custom tuned Pudding if this goes well, but I have to admit the Rose Taobao person isn't easy to talk to and seems like I'm getting no where...

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #809 of 1,255
  I'm thinking to order the blue shell mmcx BR5, I know it didn't get a spectacular review and that it's light on bass and treble, but I dig how it has beefy capacitors and resistors in it's crossover, the only other iem crossover with beefy components I know about is Sony Z5. Also seems like the BR5 has a lot of damping in the bass and treble BA output's to put the mids forward, I'm talking with the Taobao store to get my BR5 tuned more to my liking. Penon gave me this graph of the stock BR5. I might try get a custom tuned Pudding if this goes well, but I have to admit the Rose Taobao person isn't easy to talk to and seems like I'm getting no where...

I am pretty sure that's the graph they used to have for the Rose mini2? isnt it also on a page or two ago? 
very weird regardless with all these graphs w/o context

edit i guess it isn't posted in this thread but i am still 99% sure we have seen that graph before.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #810 of 1,255
I am pretty sure that's the graph they used to have for the Rose mini2? isnt it also on a page or two ago? 
very weird regardless with all these graphs w/o context

edit i guess it isn't posted in this thread but i am still 99% sure we have seen that graph before.

Not quite. Either way, both graphs seem very balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back