Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #901 of 1,255
  There is no bass switch on the Capp MKII, it affects higher frequencies only. It has excellent bass though.

Is there a 7 driver Rose I didn't know about? :smiley:

Nah, that's the Rose No. 7, also known as the 3D7. It is a dual-driver hybrid. Very good bass, scooped mids, decent highs:

https://medium.com/resonance-reviews/rose-technologys-price-to-performance-staple-the-3d-7-is-worth-your-attention-c9c032e45bed#.fvm24fouw

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #902 of 1,255
THX Cinder, fell asleep before I could address Vap! That is a good review and prett much spot on, I did change out to a silver plated copper and it did bring the upper freqs out a tad more and to my liking. They are a great iem for the price and a decent silver plated cable for just a little more ups their game even more:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #903 of 1,255
I have had my Rose Auroras for a few days now.  I am not as experienced at reviews but I will post what I found.

Sound:
Bass is present but a little too boomy for my tastes.
Mids and lower treble seem to be where the detail is.  Overall warm signature with some treble roll off.  Good for me since I am sensitive to treble and hate sibilance.  Ironically these seem a little fatiguing due to the boomy bass as opposed to harsh treble.  I am hopeful that with some EQ experimenting, these will work well.  Right now the sound signature is not quite what I want.  I like ample bass but not when it is boomy. 

vs EPH100s.
Overall these are slower in bass (and more boomy) and lack some of the soundstage and clarity I had with my older Yamaha EPH100s.  They probably deliver more bass in terms of volume but not as nice in quality. 

Comfort:
I haven't had prior over ear style earbuds and was worried I wouldn't like these but so far, so good.  The cable is relatively light and doesn't seem to bother me.  The other advantage is that it seems to not get tangled up in a mess of knots like many others.  I didn't notice much cable noise when walking the dog.  I haven't gone cycling yet since I am back in Canada after living in Australia and subzero cycling is not appealing.  Overall comfort is quite good. 

Literally a few days after I ordered mine, they changed the product description at Pennon.  You can now customize colours.  I would have chosen red and blue or something to make it easy to differentiate left/right. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #904 of 1,255
  I have had my Rose Auroras for a few days now.  I am not as experienced at reviews but I will post what I found.

Sound:
Bass is present but a little too boomy for my tastes.
Mids and lower treble seem to be where the detail is.  Overall warm signature with some treble roll off.  Good for me since I am sensitive to treble and hate sibilance.  Ironically these seem a little fatiguing due to the boomy bass as opposed to harsh treble.  I am hopeful that with some EQ experimenting, these will work well.  Right now the sound signature is not quite what I want.  I like ample bass but not when it is boomy. 

vs EPH100s.
Overall these are slower in bass (and more boomy) and lack some of the soundstage and clarity I had with my older Yamaha EPH100s.  They probably deliver more bass in terms of volume but not as nice in quality. 

Comfort:
I haven't had prior over ear style earbuds and was worried I wouldn't like these but so far, so good.  The cable is relatively light and doesn't seem to bother me.  The other advantage is that it seems to not get tangled up in a mess of knots like many others.  I didn't notice much cable noise when walking the dog.  I haven't gone cycling yet since I am back in Canada after living in Australia and subzero cycling is not appealing.  Overall comfort is quite good. 

Literally a few days after I ordered mine, they changed the product description at Pennon.  You can now customize colours.  I would have chosen red and blue or something to make it easy to differentiate left/right. 

I think a silver plated cable helps magnitudes over the stock cable to clean it up. I wish it was the stock cable though. It makes it less boomy and a little tighter.

(or pure silver but that might make treble hot)

I was also kinda pissed when Penon offered the new color choices for that and the Capp after I've had mine for a few weeks.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #905 of 1,255
  I think a silver plated cable helps magnitudes over the stock cable to clean it up. I wish it was the stock cable though. It makes it less boomy and a little tighter.

(or pure silver but that might make treble hot)

I was also kinda pissed when Penon offered the new color choices for that and the Capp after I've had mine for a few weeks.

Yeah, me too. I'm salty as hell. You can even ask to customize the options further! Damn.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #907 of 1,255
Where can I get a silver plated cable without spending too much?

Exchange rate and shipping kills it for small items.  I just got new pads for my Denon D2000s.  Will end up close to $80 Canadian despite the massdrop discount and I still need to sort out a headband.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #908 of 1,255
  Where can I get a silver plated cable without spending too much?

Exchange rate and shipping kills it for small items.  I just got new pads for my Denon D2000s.  Will end up close to $80 Canadian despite the massdrop discount and I still need to sort out a headband.

10-12 anywhere on aliexpress

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #910 of 1,255
Ah, Aliexpress, where shipping is free but takes up to 4 months.  Will order anyways cause I am a cheap ass.
The few things I've ordered from various AliExpress all arrived within 10 days. Choosing ePacket for shipping has worked well for me. I ordered the cappuccino mk2 from Penon through AliExpress and penon shipped with FedEx which only took 3 days from HK to California

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #911 of 1,255
  I was actually thinking about hitting them up being like, are you serious guys? Let me send em back and get some new colors. I might just to see what they say at least.

Hey vapman. 

Just looking at the website I can see why you are pissed off. That is not on at all from Penon and think you are within your rights to send them an email explaining your dissapointment. As someone else has mentioned and not to rub salt into a wound, but they are even offering custom Capp MKII with colours etc. You can easily argue you would of gone for X option.

I am desperate to get a pair, but it is not just the cost but the customs. What do you guys and girls get charged for import? I get spanked here in the UK so would be looking at around an extra $80 just to get them into the country....

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #912 of 1,255
  Hey vapman. 

Just looking at the website I can see why you are pissed off. That is not on at all from Penon and think you are within your rights to send them an email explaining your dissapointment. As someone else has mentioned and not to rub salt into a wound, but they are even offering custom Capp MKII with colours etc. You can easily argue you would of gone for X option.

I am desperate to get a pair, but it is not just the cost but the customs. What do you guys and girls get charged for import? I get spanked here in the UK so would be looking at around an extra $80 just to get them into the country....

Can't help on the customs front, since I'm in the USA, however, most sellers should be willing to lower the customs value for you...

Will report back once I do get around to emailing them about it.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #913 of 1,255
  Can't help on the customs front, since I'm in the USA, however, most sellers should be willing to lower the customs value for you...

Will report back once I do get around to emailing them about it.

Well fingers crossed and would be good to hear if they do the right thing....

Also, thanks for the idea of slightly adjusting for customs. Most helpful.

Cheers

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #915 of 1,255
Well the Rose guy failed at making my custom BR5, he stopped replying to my messages, only said "sorry" after a my several attempts at contacting him, so I got a refund from Taobao. I would guess he had trouble creating it and gave up or something. He isn't very professional. Least he could do is tell me what was going on rather than ignore my messages. He originally said would take 5 days to make the iem, I gave him 4 weeks. I will not be buying any Rose iem's in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back