Rooth-Null Audio Elpis 2-drivers hybrid custom IEM
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #108 of 122
  Has anyone read legit reviews of the elpis? Or can you guys do a short overall review? Thanks

There are people working on one (not me, but others I know) --- so just sit tidy. It's no longer at the preorder price anymore, so no need to rush.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #110 of 122
Just got mine and I am very surprised by the sound. First thing that grips me is coherence. Only gripe so far is the sibilance but it has alr gotten better after 3 hours. Slight hollowness in the mids as well. But overall presentation and detail level are amazing. I love the way it sounds I think I just need a warmer or mid centric source to pair it. Probably dx50.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #111 of 122
So here's my review of the Null Audio Elpis:

Since the video is quite long, here is a “Too Long, Didn’t Watch” summary:

This is a review of the current shipping version of the Elpis, which has some revisions to the sound signature. Listening was done with a mix of lossless ALAC and 256k+ AAC/MP3 files on an Objective2 amplifier + ODAC and an iPhone 5.
The Elpis has a somewhat V-shaped sound with dry, hot treble. It is a well-integrated hybrid, though the BA unit makes itself known with a treble section that is quite forward and aggressive. On this revised version, bass is quite fast and tight, though packs plenty of punch and depth. The treble is at the limit of what I could consider listenable, and on some genres of music can begin to get quite spitty or splashy. On slower or acoustic tracks, the treble adds some nice atmospherics. Adding more impedance (perhaps a cheap 75 Ohm Etymotic ER-4P to ER-4S adaptor) tames the BA unit and makes the Elpis more of an all-rounder.

I've got some more comparisons with the 1Plus2 and the ATH-CK100Pro earphones over at Tomscy2000's website, cymbacavum.com. so check that out if you want a read :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #112 of 122
So here's my review of the Null Audio Elpis:

Since the video is quite long, here is a “Too Long, Didn’t Watch” summary:

This is a review of the current shipping version of the Elpis, which has some revisions to the sound signature. Listening was done with a mix of lossless ALAC and 256k+ AAC/MP3 files on an Objective2 amplifier + ODAC and an iPhone 5.
The Elpis has a somewhat V-shaped sound with dry, hot treble. It is a well-integrated hybrid, though the BA unit makes itself known with a treble section that is quite forward and aggressive. On this revised version, bass is quite fast and tight, though packs plenty of punch and depth. The treble is at the limit of what I could consider listenable, and on some genres of music can begin to get quite spitty or splashy. On slower or acoustic tracks, the treble adds some nice atmospherics. Adding more impedance (perhaps a cheap 75 Ohm Etymotic ER-4P to ER-4S adaptor) tames the BA unit and makes the Elpis more of an all-rounder.

I've got some more comparisons with the 1Plus2 and the ATH-CK100Pro earphones over at Tomscy2000's website, cymbacavum.com. so check that out if you want a read :)

NIce review! I am still waiting for my elpis, from 25 April.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #113 of 122
So I just learnt from comments and emails that Null Audio has currently suspended all new orders of the Elpis until December until their production is reorganised in Singapore.

There is a thread over at hadwarezone.com.sg where (presumably) Kevin Wang has made some statements about the Elpis"

Greetings guys, all pending Elpis is confirmed at work and expected to ship all before 20th November.

During this run for Elpis, we have absolutely enjoyed no priority in production for Elpis. Rooth/UM has their own problem with 3DD production and all. As many of you know UM and Rooth share same production line, so we are also badly affected. Honestly I felt tricked because boss of Rooth/UM's parent company personally promised me 8 weeks before we kicked off the project.

Now the Elpis and Elpis 3 project will be separated from Rooth and inherited by local company Advanced AcousticWerkes. We have suspended sale of Elpis rough til end of December, it will not resume until we have the transition successfully carried out. AAW will also be doing some reshell services, lead-time will be kept under 2 weeks by better production process and limiting sales if necessary.

There are some more comments and details on this page: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/headphones-earphones-portable-media-devices-314/rooth-null-audio-elpis-2-drivers-hybrid-custom-iem-4185154-192.html

Once production has been reorganised I will try to order a pair from Null Audio, but please keep in mind that I am known to the company (and I don't know how simple it will be to anonymise my order) so my experience may not reflect the experience of a standard customer.

I do think the Elpis is a very promising product and hopefully Null Audio sorts out their growing pains...

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #114 of 122
I finally received my elipis today, I ordered mine from treoo on 25 April and they received my ear impression on 2 May.
It is funny that their last email on 5 Nov said that "We will update you with a tracking number for the courier delivery of your order once we have finished processing your items after receiving it."
However I have not received any further email and received the elpis today.
The build quality of the elpis is quite good and the cable is very soft.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #116 of 122
I don’t know if it is just me, I had been reading the reviews and quite a few of people mentioning there is bass. However my piece, the bass doesn’t sound apparent on my AK 120

I have not tried it with my DX50. Will try it tonight. I am hoping for a warmer sound, thinking it will be achievable with hybrid.

However I am surprise with the details it is picking up.

regards

Gwee

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #117 of 122
Hi guys,

Ordered the Elpis around middle of April together with my classmate. After getting my free ear impression done by Kevin @ his Null Audio Studio, I started my long long wait. Well.. after half a year of waiting with not much update on the delays, my Elpis finally arrived at my doorstep. (3 days ago) My set arrived with no problem, the fitting is good, except the right side to fit less tightly than the left one. Shall make use of the refit period to confirm this. 

Was expecting a darker purple, but still satisfied. (Apologies for the lousy picture quality.)

Picture of the 2 Elpis.

Cable: Null Audio Arete (Half Nylon sleeved below the Y split.)
Ordered a full sleeve, but glad my dealer is currently sorting out the issue with me to get it corrected.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #119 of 122
The wait is pretty well worth it.. Got the final tuning of the Elpis and I'd say that the mids really opened up by a lot, bass is not as boomy as before, Arête cable did a pretty good job.. Bass was a little lacking this time but any copper cables would do the trick.. For the price that Null Audio is asking for, it's definitely a good catch, especially those looking for a starter pair of customs and wouldn't mind the wait.. =)

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #120 of 122
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but any more impressions of these? I'm and EDM guy and these look like they might be a great buy for the price. Last few comments mention weaker bass though. Just wondering what those users can compare it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back