Rooth-Null Audio Elpis 2-drivers hybrid custom IEM
May 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #47 of 122
Quote:
  Does dampening the treble possibly mean more emphasis on other frequency??

Possibly, but we don't know what they plan to do. It probably means using a higher value acoustic damper, which mostly smooths out resonant peaks more, but it sometimes lowers absolute bandwidth as well (not always).

I personally don't know if they really need to dampen the treble more, although I wouldn't be adverse to it. I just hope that they've taken into account the fact that most listeners, when they use demo models, don't wear them properly and don't insert them deep enough. Shallow insertion often creates extra resonant peaks due to standing quarter-wavelength resonances, leading to a peakier response than it would be.

Silicone tips also tend to introduce unpredictable resonances. The Rooth demo shape is decent in that it allows for biflange tips to be worn without much overhang, but listeners may not know that. Even when demos are worn properly, they tend to sound a little thinner and more brittle sounding than a fully custom-fit CIEM.

May 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #48 of 122
Quote:
Well, it also sounds very different from the entry-level Rooth model, the LS2. The LS2 is probably the second-most neutral (most neutral being the LS6) model of the Rooth lineup; it's ruler-flat in the bass shelved at perhaps 2 dB above ER4P levels, and has just a bit of upper-midrange, lower treble emphasis over dead-neutral. The Elpis, by comparison, is very colored; much more like the LSX5.

I guess one would expect that when a company offers a "hybrid" iem they would not be going for the "neutral" sound signature. I have yet to drop by null audio's shop to demo all of them though, but I am definitely considering a Rooth universal of either the Elpis or LS2.

May 6, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #50 of 122
[quote
Possibly, but we don't know what they plan to do. It probably means using a higher value acoustic damper, which mostly smooths out resonant peaks more, but it sometimes lowers absolute bandwidth as well (not always).

I personally don't know if they really need to dampen the treble more, although I wouldn't be adverse to it. I just hope that they've taken into account the fact that most listeners, when they use demo models, don't wear them properly and don't insert them deep enough. Shallow insertion often creates extra resonant peaks due to standing quarter-wavelength resonances, leading to a peakier response than it would be.

Silicone tips also tend to introduce unpredictable resonances. The Rooth demo shape is decent in that it allows for biflange tips to be worn without much overhang, but listeners may not know that. Even when demos are worn properly, they tend to sound a little thinner and more brittle sounding than a fully custom-fit CIEM.
name="tomscy2000" url="/t/660815/rooth-null-audio-elpis-2-drivers-hybrid-custom-iem/45#post_9410576"]kevin gotta read this

[/quote]kevin gotta read this

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #53 of 122
There are two varients of the earphone, one which is the non-revise version and one is the revised version. IMHO the non-revise version without the bass port has sibilance and sounds kinda harsh. The bass is extremely strong but not very fast. The revised version has slightly lesser bass, but tighter and faster. Sibilance was also not present, which is a good thing.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #54 of 122
Quote:
There are two varients of the earphone, one which is the non-revise version and one is the revised version. IMHO the non-revise version without the bass port has sibilance and sounds kinda harsh. The bass is extremely strong but not very fast. The revised version has slightly lesser bass, but tighter and faster. Sibilance was also not present, which is a good thing.

Any quick comparisons?

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #56 of 122
Hi guys, i've tried out the revised elpis demo with bass port using the lune cable yesterday for about 2 hours.
The quantity of the sub-bass is alot too much for me,  the quality is fine though.

Also, highs at the 5-7khz range were dampened.
It doesn't sound harsh, but still airy :).
It is still bright though.

Overall this is a V Shape IEM.
Looking for a balance or warm sound? (This is not for you).

Strongly recommend the non bass port version.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #57 of 122
Quote:
Hi guys, i've tried out the revised elpis demo with bass port using the lune cable yesterday for about 2 hours.
The quantity of the sub-bass is alot too much for me,  the quality is fine though.

Also, highs at the 5-7khz range were dampened.
It doesn't sound harsh, but still airy :).
It is still bright though.

Overall this is a V Shape IEM.
Looking for a balance or warm sound? (This is not for you).

Strongly recommend the non bass port version.

Would this be a fine upgrade over the GR07? Cause I'm kinda stuck between this or V-moda M100... Or maybe save up a little for the 1964 V3 or Stage93 Trio. What do you guys think?

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #59 of 122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back