Roon. What is it and why do I want it ?
Feb 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #16 of 37
This is not true.
This is true only if you are using a Network DAC, Any USB DAC can work with the Roon Bridge using RAAT.

Thats what the OP I asked, by his question, I am assuming his Roon Core is in a different room and DAC in a different room. So he can use the devices from those company, load it with Roipee and make the DAC an endpoint.

If the USB DAC is not Roon certified, then he has to connect it directly to the Roon Core if he wishes to avoid using the other devices.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #17 of 37
Thats what the OP I asked, by his question, I am assuming his Roon Core is in a different room and DAC in a different room. So he can use the devices from those company, load it with Roipee and make the DAC an endpoint.

If the USB DAC is not Roon certified, then he has to connect it directly to the Roon Core if he wishes to avoid using the other devices.

I guess I am not understanding you... You are been broad with your answers. There is no such thing as certify USB DAC when using Roon Bridge which *IS* an endpoint. Roon Bridge can work with any network system IE: PC, Raspberry Pi, etc.... over the network. I do this now, using RAAT.

To my understanding of the OP statement is that he does not have ethernet from one room to the other.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #18 of 37
To my understanding of the OP statement is that he does not have ethernet from one room to the other.
Exactly my understanding, in that case he has to use the ROON bridge to make his DAC an endpoint. The reason I mentioned Allo and HifiBerry because they provide ready assembled Roon endpoints like the Allo Digione or HifiBerry Digi+ that can be used with DACs.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 37
Exactly my understanding, in that case he has to use the ROON bridge to make his DAC an endpoint. The reason I mentioned Allo and HifiBerry because they provide ready assembled Roon endpoints like the Allo Digione or HifiBerry Digi+ that can be used with DACs.

Where I really lost you was on this Certify USB DAC thing :) We are now on the same page :D

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #21 of 37
:) I mean to go from the server which has roon to the Headphone dac, I use USB & SPIDF . But how do I convert the ethernet signal to a SPDIF, Optical or USB for the other system ? My living room system only has those three digital inputs. Or is it not doable ?Thanks again !!!
Been using Roon for a year or more but recently switched to Audirvana since i removed a lot of the endpoints.

Well if you're source is in a different room, then you can use HifiBerry devices or Allo Digione devices and connect it to the source preamp/DAC with SPDIF or Digital Coax and that makes the DAC a Roon Endpoint.

It is important if you want to fully utilize Roon that you use this devices if the DAC is not Roon certified because then only you can stream through ROON over their RAAT protocol, else it doesnt make sense to use Roon. I used to use RME ADI-2 like this.

The cheapest solution is to use Google Chromecast Audio since it got Roon Certified but has a limit on the output bitrate.

I love Roon's PCM to DSD conversion, it was as good as HQPlayer. Also some people say Roon's room correction for 2 ch music is really great! But this wont matter if you only use headphones/IEMs.

THANKS!!!

ROON endpoints OMG I think I will need to hire someone under 50 to help. :) My speaker systems 2 channel is also part of my hometheaters 5.1 and it has room correction already but I would try the roon 2 channel correction

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #22 of 37

The server has ROON and a USB out so I am assuming it is certified. Yes the other system is in the other room and it's dac only had a SPDIF /and optical

Now whats the deal with the subscription is that for streaming ?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 37
:) I mean to go from the server which has roon to the Headphone dac, I use USB & SPIDF . But how do I convert the ethernet signal to a SPDIF, Optical or USB for the other system ? My living room system only has those three digital inputs. Or is it not doable ?Thanks again !!!

THANKS!!!

ROON endpoints OMG I think I will need to hire someone under 50 to help. :) My speaker systems 2 channel is also part of my hometheaters 5.1 and it has room correction already but I would try the roon 2 channel correction
Are you using the AVR also for 2ch or do you have an integrated amp connected with you're 5.1?

I would suggest using the Allo Digione or Hifiberry Digi+ (you can choose models in this) and then connect to the digital coaxial output from that to the digital input (optical or coaxial) of the AVR.

I used an integrated amp NAD C388 and used that for 2ch music, while AVR was for movies. I used a switch to change the source since my integrated amp didnt have a HT Bypass mode.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 37
Now whats the deal with the subscription is that for streaming ?

Thanks
You basically add your Qobuz or Tidal accounts in Roon Settings and then you can see all youre playlists, albums, etc in Roon console and then output it to a zone you have in Roon. Just getting a Roon subscription does not give you the streaming options from Tidal or Qobuz. But you can stream your local library after you add it to ROON.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #25 of 37

sorry for not being clearer I do have the ability to go room to room

Is there someone I can hire to set this up "geek squad"

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #26 of 37
sorry for not being clearer I do have the ability to go room to room

Is there someone I can hire to set this up "geek squad"

in that case, just connect the dac to the roon core servers usb and that will detect it as roon endpoint.

I'll suggest joining ROONLabs community, they are very helpful and has most of the answers there.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #27 of 37
I am taking your statement of *Genuinely curious!* as true, You sounded like a troll for a second :p
But to start with, you mentioned it your self. plex needs a client where roon does not unless using a PC.
And there many other reason that I will let you read from here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture

Roon is to music, what Plex is to Movies.

Plex is not a music application hence they are not the best for that use type aka the audiophiles....
But it is a movie content manager and is the best at it IMOH
I was genuinely serious. Note that Plex is a media application. Not just movies.

It can handle audio losslessly and plex pass will allow you to sync. Haven’t tested DSD yet but flac or standard lossless file like ALAC etc. work fine.

I’ve reviewed roon in the past briefly as an alternative to plex, and I still wasn’t sure what exactly the benefits of paying a monthly fee to them were.

I’ll look at that link you posted and I can ask roonlabscommunity - thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 37
I don’t quite understand the benefits of Roon vs. Plex - anyone that has used both care to provide some insight?

With plex you get lossless streaming to any internet or home network connected device with a plex app installed. They support many, many ecosystems. No DSP like mentioned above though. Genuinely curious!
Actually i have tried this with Plex and it works fine. I have lot of music on Google Drive which I added to Plex that is hosted on Cloud.
That way I can stream anywhere I want.

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #29 of 37
I was genuinely serious. Note that Plex is a media applicsitpn. It can handle audio pretty decently as long as it isn’t DSD (haven’t tested that yet).

I it is, but its not the best at it nor it is their priority. I been using plex before they forked out. :D

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #30 of 37
Lifetime is a must nuff said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back