Roon. What is it and why do I want it ?
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have a LapizatOr komputer that needs servicing. Unit is being sent back to Poland and will have ROON installed.
I am using the server as such; USB to my Headphone DAC and SPIDF to my main systems DAC. Server had built in wifi network.

Will I need to buy anything additional ?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 37
I don't stream any music
I only use My HI rez downloads and SACD collection converted to DSD. this is aprox 90 % of my music. The rest is 16 bit burned from CD's

Thanks

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 37
I tried roon, it’s nice. From what I experienced, it’s just playback software that catalogs your collection on hard disk, has the capabilities to stream from tidal and a couple of other pay services, and makes your entire collection available from many compatible “roon end points”. The metadata it pulls down for your music is nice, everything from reviews of albums, story of the band, artwork, and a plus is it analyzes the quality of your media and whether there is any degradation from source to destination. I think it might be a slick way to stream and retain the quality of your high Rez collection. For me though, it’s nice, but I don’t need it for the way I consume music, mainly Spotify.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 37
I am a Big Roon user, The fact that I can use multi room with and not be tight to one eco system is a plus to me.
There is many benefits to Roon. If you are a local music collector you will love it, But like @chanman96 said, if you are an online service streamer than is somewhat useless....

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 37
I am a Big Roon user, The fact that I can use multi room with and not be tight to one eco system is a plus to me.
There is many benefits to Roon. If you are a local music collector you will love it, But like @chanman96 said, if you are an online service streamer than is somewhat useless....

I have a 2tB HD music collection and a headphone and speaker system in the living room. I think the Roon is built into the server and my speaker system has a decent dac.

Feb 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 37
I have a 2tB HD music collection and a headphone and speaker system in the living room. I think the Roon is built into the server and my speaker system has a decent dac.

Than you will love Roon!

Your setup looks good but if you can, go Ethernet. Roon is bandwidth heavy and you could run in to issues over wifi, nonetheless It will work!

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 37
Than you will love Roon!

Your setup looks good but if you can, go Ethernet. Roon is bandwidth heavy and you could run in to issues over wifi, nonetheless It will work!

THNAKS!

Yes it has Ethernet

So how do I get it across the apartment to the speaker system and it's dac?

Feb 25, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 37
THNAKS!

Yes it has Ethernet

Well, That's a problem that only you can figure out :) typically you will have to run ethernet drops and install a switch, etc... If this is the case than give it a try using wifi.

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 37
Roon is great for multiroom purposes. But I find its ability to add DSPs easily is the most useful function for me. U can also use different DSPs for different end points.

Feb 26, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 37
I don’t quite understand the benefits of Roon vs. Plex - anyone that has used both care to provide some insight?

With plex you get lossless streaming to any internet or home network connected device with a plex app installed. They support many, many ecosystems. No DSP like mentioned above though. Genuinely curious!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #13 of 37
I don’t quite understand the benefits of Roon vs. Plex - anyone that has used both care to provide some insight?

With plex you get lossless streaming to any internet or home network connected device with a plex app installed. They support many, many ecosystems. No DSP like mentioned above though. Genuinely curious!

I am taking your statement of *Genuinely curious!* as true, You sounded like a troll for a second :p
But to start with, you mentioned it your self. plex needs a client where roon does not unless using a PC.
And there many other reason that I will let you read from here:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Architecture

Roon is to music, what Plex is to Movies.

Plex is not a music application hence they are not the best for that use type aka the audiophiles....
But it is a movie content manager and is the best at it IMOH

Feb 26, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #14 of 37
THNAKS!

Yes it has Ethernet

Been using Roon for a year or more but recently switched to Audirvana since i removed a lot of the endpoints.

Well if you're source is in a different room, then you can use HifiBerry devices or Allo Digione devices and connect it to the source preamp/DAC with SPDIF or Digital Coax and that makes the DAC a Roon Endpoint.

It is important if you want to fully utilize Roon that you use this devices if the DAC is not Roon certified because then only you can stream through ROON over their RAAT protocol, else it doesnt make sense to use Roon. I used to use RME ADI-2 like this.

The cheapest solution is to use Google Chromecast Audio since it got Roon Certified but has a limit on the output bitrate.

I love Roon's PCM to DSD conversion, it was as good as HQPlayer. Also some people say Roon's room correction for 2 ch music is really great! But this wont matter if you only use headphones/IEMs.

Feb 26, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 37
It is important if you want to fully utilize Roon that you use this devices if the DAC is not Roon certified because then only you can stream through ROON over their RAAT protocol, else it doesnt make sense to use Roon. I used to use RME ADI-2 like this.

This is not true.
This is true only if you are using a Network DAC, Any USB DAC can work with the Roon Bridge using RAAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back