Roon is live
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #466 of 701
Streaming on it's own has minimal impact on performance requirements when compared to the other components of Roon, particularly EQ, so I wouldn't worry about it either way.

The answer will largely depend on your use of EQ, use of add on products, and to a lesser degree, library size and how dynamic it is - frequent changes will drive reindexing. In my case, I have a library of approximately 40000 songs (stored on another device), stream Qobuz, and lightly utilize EQ. My i3 NUC rarely goes over 15% CPU usage and I've never had any performance issues with the setup.

If you use processor intensive add ons like HQPlayer, an i5 NUC would be the minimum CPU and I'd recommend an I7.
I'm using an 2018 I3 Mac min as my Roon core (with 32GB RAM) and I was surprised at how little Roon pushes it. Although I don't run HQPlayer, I do use Roon parametric EQ and have found my bottom-of-the-line Mac mini to be sufficient.

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #467 of 701
I'm using an 2018 I3 Mac min as my Roon core (with 32GB RAM) and I was surprised at how little Roon pushes it. Although I don't run HQPlayer, I do use Roon parametric EQ and have found my bottom-of-the-line Mac mini to be sufficient.
Using the same: I think the amount of RAM has a big impact. I also think the endpoint DAC/Amps and speakers or HPs have by far a bigger effect. Listening tonight via Bluesound Node 2021 -> Flex 2i speakers with a bit of Roon PEQ thrown in to elevate the base and treble a bit and quite amazed at all I can hear that I was not picking up via my Sonore 2016 era 1.3 MicroRendu streaming to an IFi micro iDSD- the Flex’s have an incredibly fast bass element with great punch and slam and smooth liquid vocals and a sparkly upper treble with no hint of glare.

So INCREDIBLY not sorry I haven’t yet invested in a Roon Nucleus- the Mac is just FINE.

Jan 27, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #468 of 701
duplicate deleted

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #469 of 701
I for one love Roon, the only streaming hicup I have ever had was Tidal inexplicably deleted an account I had bought for my Dad. My Dad loves to make lists and it deleated all the work he had put into it. Wierd. I am a big supporter. I just wish the lifetime was lower.

One excellent feature in Roon is the ability to export a Soundiz .CSV of any Tidal playlist. I consider these as a backup in case of issues with Tidal.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #470 of 701
One excellent feature in Roon is the ability to export a Soundiz .CSV of any Tidal playlist. I consider these as a backup in case of issues with Tidal.
Thanks of this. I also use the CSV with Apple Music to create playlists for my Apple devices. Works great!

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #471 of 701
I’m loving Roon. After using a laptop as a core for a long time, I got an absolutely ridiculous deal on eBay for a NUC 6 for $106 with an ssd and ram already installed and a clean OS. Updated the bios and installed rock (this was very easy and I get really nervous with technical computer stuff, just follow the directions on the Roon site). Roon remote is now blazing fast and rock solid. Im so pumped about it I even convinced myself it sounds better, but I know that’s not true lol. Give it a shot, it’s fantastic not having to have to remember to boot up a laptop, keep it running so it doesn’t die etc.

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #472 of 701
I’m loving Roon. After using a laptop as a core for a long time, I got an absolutely ridiculous deal on eBay for a NUC 6 for $106 with an ssd and ram already installed and a clean OS. Updated the bios and installed rock (this was very easy and I get really nervous with technical computer stuff, just follow the directions on the Roon site). Roon remote is now blazing fast and rock solid. Im so pumped about it I even convinced myself it sounds better, but I know that’s not true lol. Give it a shot, it’s fantastic not having to have to remember to boot up a laptop, keep it running so it doesn’t die etc.
That is a smokin' deal. I have ROCK on a NUC also and it works great. Did it come with a storage SSD as well as the OS SSD? If so, that was really good deal, if not can you add a storage SSD? Depends on the case, though. It would speed up access even more having the music local on the NUC, even if you just plugged in an external drive.

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #473 of 701
Unfortunately, I'm hating Roon right now!
I logged out yesterday and have been trying to login countless times with the absolute correct credentials, and Roon keeps saying "subscription expired" when I have a "lifetime subscription". Started a thread on the Roon Community (which was given a new title) only to find that many members are having this same issue as well as other issue with Roon. To top it all off, there is no support right now, at all...not even 1 reply from the team. Anyone here have trouble logging out, then back into Roon?

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #474 of 701
Unless you have a huge huge library and use HQPlayer with very demanding filter and higher frequency upsampling, even a basic system with latest OS is enough for Roon.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #475 of 701
Unfortunately, I'm hating Roon right now!
I logged out yesterday and have been trying to login countless times with the absolute correct credentials, and Roon keeps saying "subscription expired" when I have a "lifetime subscription". Started a thread on the Roon Community (which was given a new title) only to find that many members are having this same issue as well as other issue with Roon. To top it all off, there is no support right now, at all...not even 1 reply from the team. Anyone here have trouble logging out, then back into Roon?
I have seen several threads over there that say they are having issues. I also saw one now two that said some of the authentication servers were down. Take that with a grain of salt as it was not from a Roon support person. I hesitate to log out and then back in to "test" it.... I need my music or it's real quiet around here.
Although this might be why I was having some difficultly getting one of my Rpi's with RoPieee running a day or so ago??

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #476 of 701
I have seen several threads over there that say they are having issues. I also saw one now two that said some of the authentication servers were down. Take that with a grain of salt as it was not from a Roon support person. I hesitate to log out and then back in to "test" it.... I need my music or it's real quiet around here.
Although this might be why I was having some difficultly getting one of my Rpi's with RoPieee running a day or so ago??
Although there were several posts about Roon having issues over the weekend I wasn't effected by any of them mentioned over there.
My issue was 100% my fault with my email address when trying to login. Prior to purchasing the lifetime subscription, I used my Verizon email address, but apparently when I purchased the lifetime subscription I changed the email address to an iCloud account. The funny thing was that I was able to login to the Roon Community and fully navigate it with my Verizon address. I could also login to roonlabs.com with my Verizon address, but it would say "Hello, Joseph" (as if I was logged in) but had a message saying "You don't have a Roon account" all while showing a prompt to 'log out' on the screen. Very strange. Anyway, all my own issue. Thanks for the reply, and I'm loving Roon again!

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #477 of 701
Gotta love this new Roon setting in their latest update 'prefer anything else over MQA'. I'll be setting that for sure.

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 12.51.50 PM.jpg

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #478 of 701
They finally added the option to skip "Clean" versions of songs! It's 'No' by default.
1657161972970.png

Attachments

• 1657161943716.png
    1657161943716.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #479 of 701
They finally added the option to skip "Clean" versions of songs! It's 'No' by default.
Per the More Info in Roon:
"This option controls which content is preferred in cases when both edited and explicit content are available."
So not necessarily "skipping" the clean version in all cases.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #480 of 701
I really wish Roon would consider adding Apple Music streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back