Room too small for floorstanders?
Feb 5, 2006 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a 16 feet x 9 feet rectangular room size. with 8 feet to the ceiling. All plaster walls with windows and drapes facing one end. My room is a bit on the acoustically dead side.

I was thinking of getting a floorstander but wonder whether my room will be too small. I currently have an EPOS ELS3 and bass is not loud enough though this could be the fault of the speaker itself. I have not tried a bigger standmount (mine is considered small it seems) so not sure whether that would solve all my problems. Also I can't get any home loans too so I could never get the definitive answer I need
frown.gif

I prefer not to have a subwoofer but might consider it.

I'm asking this more as a guide rather then a definitive advice. Most dealers said it should be ok but I've thought I better asked your opinions.

I'm currently using Cambridge Audio 640A version 2 and play mostly at moderate to loud volumes (sometimes). My cambridge dealer said it would not be able to handle Sonus Faber floorstanders to their best but can drive AE floorstanders pretty good so thats another thing to consider when auditioning. Will driving mid level bookshelfs be easier then floorstanders in general?
confused.gif

Thank you.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 15
There are a number of choices in floorstanders that should work in your room. I have System Audio 1730's (there are other models at varying price ranges that are the same size). They are 39.5 h, 5.5 w, 8.5 deep. The listening area I am in is not much bigger than yours. Totem Arro also comes to mind as smaller sized floorstander. I believe the Spendor S5e are reasonably sized. I've driven my 1730's with ASL Wave 8's (not optimally), Cayin A-50T. I am currently using a Naim Nait 5i (50w) so your 640A should be fine at 65w. The 1730's are 4 ohms and 89db.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 15
If the speakers are placed alongside the short wall, I think its fine. Is it carpeted and mostly empty?

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 15
If you want to use a sub,,check out SVS subwoofers,they look like a good buy,,and they also have sub tubes which may take up less floor space.

If you can find a Carver sub,,theyre very small,but powerful...so it wouldnt take up any room at all. I think the biggest Carver sub is an 11 inch cube. Good WAF,(wife acceptance factor)

Otherwise just use placement,like putting speakers closer to the wall for more bass,or in the corners of the room or in the corner but near the ceiling. Doing this will increase bass at the sacrifice of some soundstage and depth.

Using speakers without cones or feet sometimes increases bass also,but it could become boomy,depends.

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
If the speakers are placed alongside the short wall, I think its fine. Is it carpeted and mostly empty?

Its not carpetet but I can buy a carpet and roll it on the floor I guess. There's some furniture all around. A bed on the other end which is my listening position (which is a bit high, my standmount stands are approximately 30 inches...I guess I can remove the upper mattress to obtain a lower sitting position). Then there a table by the side so one of the speakers will have to be excatly side by side with the table. Other then that its empty. Perhaps finding a loudspeaker with a front port will make things easier.

My amp is actually 75 watts into 8 ohms. No mention of RMS though.

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 15
Large room requirements for floor standing speakers is a myth. It might looks funny but will still perform better than a lesser monitor speaker.

For example, my previous PSB Stratus Gold speakers, at 90lbs each, began their life with me in a 10x12 office with my computer. Not ideal but better than the NHT Series 2 it replaced. Looked funny, but sounded good.

You have 16x9 to play with, you'll be fine.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 15
Now, here's a good question: I have a room that's about the same dimensions, if not a little smaller. I'm pretty much set on floorstanders because of the added midrange driver in the particular model I'm buying. But, given the size of the room, wouldnt a bookshelf model fill the room decently enough? I'm pretty sure a bookshelf with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" tweeter would be plenty enough for a room that size, but that's a question I never bothered to ask.

Feb 6, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 15
There are plenty of bookshelf speakers that will fill a room that size. Amphion Helium 2's are great sounding book shelf speakers. System Audio SA505, and 705 would work as well. There are plenty of others, I just listed the ones I've either owned or heard extensively.

Feb 10, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcfis
Those Epos are good speakers, Is there a noticable trough in the bass? I would definately try placement first.

I change the position and they sound much better
orphsmile.gif

I would appreciate more bass extension though.

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 15
The room size is fine for floorstanders but will you have a clear path to place and listen to floorstanders? I currently listan to Triange Zerius 3 way floorstanders (very wide range mid driver augmented on bottom by a 6" front firing sub and on top with a tweeter, High sensitivity ~92 dB and as close to a single driver system as you can get) I love triangles especially in their price range the whole range has been Class A and B for years now. You can find any of the floorstanders (Zeruis which works best for me, Antal, or Celius(similar to the Zeruis but with an additional bass driver and even wider crossed over mid)) for 600-1000. They do lots of things right and fast.

I dont like the round robin experience of trying to find a sub in a small room for mini monitors. Its never ending

Feb 12, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 15
My room is only about 9' x 10' and I have a pair of line arrays (20" Wide x 22" Deep x 58" High) producing a very pleasing sound. The problem with a small room though is you really don't have a lot of options for placement. My speakers are in the only configuration they would actually fit in. I'd like there to be a little more space in between them but you gotta work with what you got
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back