Rookie choices
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mike2992

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am certainly new to this site and defiantly new to the world of monitors and headphones. I'm writing this thread because for the past 4 yrs I have used Bose ie2 and believed that they were truly amazing and rich in detail, made me truly fall I love with music. I do not perform on a stage nor do I play instruments I just truly love music. I recently broke my bose ie2's and thought about upgrading. Did some research and came across the company Shure. 1000$ is the limit I'm willing to spend , which hopefully shows you guys how much I love music . I saw they had the se535 and their best earphone which is the se846. I guess what I'm asking is how much a difference is there between those two headphones and the bose ie2. I'm really looking for a earphone that will make the music I listen to( hip hop, r&b , rap) sink me in as if the music is all around me. appreciate answers from anyone since I am a child to this world lol thank you

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet :)

What kind of equipment (make/model) are you going to use your headphones with? The SE545 have a very high 119db sensitivity, and some amps have problems with hiss when driving them. The SE846 are 9 ohm impedance, which means you want to have a very low impedance output amp.

Meanwhile, I think most people would agree that there are a lot of good headphones better than the IE2, even in the under $200 range.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 8
Meanwhile, I think most people would agree that there are a lot of good headphones better than the IE2, even in the under $200 range.

Definitely agree. I also think maybe it would be best to test the waters before spending $1000. There are too many headphones that fall within that range to talk about here with just as many unique sound signatures. Maybe you should have a listen to some headphones locally so you know what kind of sound signature you like.

Edit: Also thought I should leave this and this here. These are great starting points, both created by fellow head-fiers. Be sure to read through some of the posts found under Other Useful Links in the second link.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 8
welcome, "child" :p

whilst u are in deep confusion/contemplation/bewilderment....
wanting to punt in a big way...
do take a look at this :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717275/narmoos-new-s1-dual-dynamic-supremus
http://www.narmoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

It is an impressive twin driver, made in USA, very easy to power off your ipod/iphone...
gaining quite a following in the thread.

BE PATIENT n HAVE FUN !!

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet :)

What kind of equipment (make/model) are you going to use your headphones with? The SE545 have a very high 119db sensitivity, and some amps have problems with hiss when driving them. The SE846 are 9 ohm impedance, which means you want to have a very low impedance output amp.

From what I've read the iPod nano 7th gen should be great with the se846, now it really comes down to the experience . The reason I want to buy the se846 is because the love for music! I'm sure I sound ignorant but I truly want to go all in and not cut corners. The same way I bought those bose headphones 4 yrs ago, they had me relisten to every single song I had heard growing up. Thanks for the feedback you guys learned so much already . Didn't even know an iPod nano had an impedance output, to be honest I didn't even know impedance was a word...:xf_eek:

If anyone has the se846... Please tell me I'm making a wise decision :frowning2:

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 8
My upgrade path was this:

CAL! original
Superlux 668B
Koss KSC75 have great mids and treble but they are odd, specialty, and lack bass
JVC HA S500 are great 'fun' portable cans but expect no transparency and no soundstage. Not audiophile at all.
Superlux 681 Burgundy or ProSonus HD7. These are great bargains. With a few mods - cable, foam, pads - they will bring you nearly mid-fi trifecta sound for 1/15th the price.
TakStar 80. Another great bargain. To move up beyond these $60 closed cans requires leaping to $300.

From that the next step up are the mid-fi trifecta - HD600, DT880 and AKG Q/K 701/2. $300.

You would spend little and experience much with the above 6 purchases. You would be out less than $300 and have a good idea of what you want.
THEN you can drop $600 or $1k.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 8
great lis
think he is luking for iems....pls come up with a revised list for his agony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back