Romi Audio - The official thread
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #332 of 928
I notice that most pair their BX2 with TOTL DAPs. Any advice if this amp is paired with the likes of M11, DX160? Will it be good enough or would any of you advice to add a better DAC? Thanks.

I would expect improvement, as you would be taking the miniature amplifier in the DAP out of the equation and replacing it with something even better than the TOTL DAPs out there. If the line out and DAC implementation is good enough, I think depends...

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #333 of 928
I notice that most pair their BX2 with TOTL DAPs. Any advice if this amp is paired with the likes of M11, DX160? Will it be good enough or would any of you advice to add a better DAC? Thanks.
What do you mean by TOTL DAPs? Do you focus on price, features or sound? If my example can help you, I have 2 TOTL sounding DAPs (DTR1 and Calyx M), which are pretty limited in terms of features, especially the Calyx M, and are relatively affordable. Does the BX2+ bring these DAPs to the next level? Oh yes. Adding transparency but no brightness. I am not listening to my DAPs without an amp since months.

Without parroting the previous post, the synergy between the amp and the DAP will depend on the DAC implementation and the LO from the DAP.

What the BX2+ is very good at, is to amplify the sound with smoothness, transparency and effortlessness. It's dead silent with sensitive IEMs and has enough power to drive full-size headphones. Difference between low and high gain is very noticeable.

A great amp indeed.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #335 of 928
What do you mean by TOTL DAPs? Do you focus on price, features or sound? If my example can help you, I have 2 TOTL sounding DAPs (DTR1 and Calyx M), which are pretty limited in terms of features, especially the Calyx M, and are relatively affordable. Does the BX2+ bring these DAPs to the next level? Oh yes. Adding transparency but no brightness. I am not listening to my DAPs without an amp since months.

Without parroting the previous post, the synergy between the amp and the DAP will depend on the DAC implementation and the LO from the DAP.

What the BX2+ is very good at, is to amplify the sound with smoothness, transparency and effortlessness. It's dead silent with sensitive IEMs and has enough power to drive full-size headphones. Difference between low and high gain is very noticeable.

A great amp indeed.
Although I do agree that the DTR1 is very good which I auditioned here in Singapore, I had an offer from a good friend of a M11 that he barely used for a good price, add to that the dual micro sd feature that I was looking for. I had no experience with the Calyx but I saw quite a number of positive reviews and how good it still compares to current DAPs. About the amp, I have read about it even before this forum started (by the way thanks for putting this up) and have developed a strong interest. I just wonder if anyone have their share of experience from the range of DAPs that I can more relate to. If none I am open to hear suggestions. I admit I was not able to refuse the recent sale and I am now checking the tracking number every time. I have positive expectation about this and if my DAP wont pair well then maybe Ill head back to Jaben again for the DTR1. This hobby is a journey anyway. Sorry for the long babble but thanks a lot.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #336 of 928
Although I do agree that the DTR1 is very good which I auditioned here in Singapore, I had an offer from a good friend of a M11 that he barely used for a good price, add to that the dual micro sd feature that I was looking for. I had no experience with the Calyx but I saw quite a number of positive reviews and how good it still compares to current DAPs. About the amp, I have read about it even before this forum started (by the way thanks for putting this up) and have developed a strong interest. I just wonder if anyone have their share of experience from the range of DAPs that I can more relate to. If none I am open to hear suggestions. I admit I was not able to refuse the recent sale and I am now checking the tracking number every time. I have positive expectation about this and if my DAP wont pair well then maybe Ill head back to Jaben again for the DTR1. This hobby is a journey anyway. Sorry for the long babble but thanks a lot.
Just report your impressions about M11/BX2+ combo, hope you can enjoy it:wink:

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #337 of 928
That's a nice thought. I just tried mine with both a Lotoo Paw6000 and a much older and lower tier Ibasso DX80 (though also solid on its own terms), each driving Audio-Technica AWKT. I confirm what others have said here: the BX2 + accentuates the technical merits of a DAP without altering the signature. Certainly, it will make every DAP you have sound better. Without the BX2 +, the DX80 sounds compressed, flat, grainy, and boxy. With the BX2+, the sound is tight, coherent, and more detailed than you might imagine judged by the DAP alone - a testament to the implementation of the DAC, I guess. As I've mentioned before, the only synergy that didn't work for me was with the Hugo 2, but I found the Hugo 2 to be picky with everything except the Sparkos Aries.

P1080862.JPG

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #338 of 928
That's a nice thought. I just tried mine with both a Lotoo Paw6000 and a much older and lower tier Ibasso DX80 (though also solid on its own terms), each driving Audio-Technica AWKT. I confirm what others have said here: the BX2 + accentuates the technical merits of a DAP without altering the signature. Certainly, it will make every DAP you have sound better. Without the BX2 +, the DX80 sounds compressed, flat, grainy, and boxy. With the BX2+, the sound is tight, coherent, and more detailed than you might imagine judged by the DAP alone - a testament to the implementation of the DAC, I guess. As I've mentioned before, the only synergy that didn't work for me was with the Hugo 2, but I found the Hugo 2 to be picky with everything except the Sparkos Aries.

Finally after 5 days it has arrived from UK. Actually it was you and Jmills8 whom I first read about this and has followed since for impressions.
20210120_164225.jpg
20210120_164257.jpg
20210120_164201.jpg

I just opened the box out of excitement though I dont have time to try it out due to work. I guess its worth mentioning how difficult it was to put the leather case. I dont think I would be able to pull the amp out ever again 😅

Attachments

• 20210120_164257.jpg
    20210120_164257.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210120_164225.jpg
    20210120_164225.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #339 of 928
Finally after 5 days it has arrived from UK. Actually it was you and Jmills8 whom I first read about this and has followed since for impressions. 20210120_164225.jpg20210120_164257.jpg20210120_164201.jpg

I just opened the box out of excitement though I dont have time to try it out due to work. I guess its worth mentioning how difficult it was to put the leather case. I dont think I would be able to pull the amp out ever again 😅
Congrats! Let us know your impressions. What will you be driving with the amp?

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #341 of 928
Pure clean power! I was surprised by how light the BX-2 Plus is, this is great news for my portable setup! :beyersmile:

thumbnail_20210121_150620.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #342 of 928
Pure clean power! I was surprised by how light the BX-2 Plus is, this is great news for my portable setup! :beyersmile:

thumbnail_20210121_150620.jpg

How is the pairing with other DAPs? Any improvement, for example, over the stock DX300 sound? And how well does it drive the HEDDphone?

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #343 of 928
How is the pairing with other DAPs? Any improvement, for example, over the stock DX300 sound? And how well does it drive the HEDDphone?

HEDDphones are waiting their turn to be plugged in, I'll check soon and reply. :beyersmile:

For the sound, other than the overall improvement in dynamics, soundstage and lows, this AMP is clean and will accentuate the strength of the connected DAC/DAP. If your DAP has a wide soundstage, you'll find that it'll get slightly wider. Low end will be deeper and punchier too. Loving the sound of it connected to the DX300 and Cayin N6ii.

Now to test the Abyss 1266 TC and HEDDphones! :)

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #344 of 928

Spent the last hours testing both the HEDDs & Abyss TCs and could confirm that the BX-2 plus drives them to exquisite levels!

I was surprised that this light brick provides so much clean power that'll make your power hungry headsets sing! :beyersmile:

The pairing with the DX300 was fantastic! Airy, nice low end and no sibilance. Both layering, dynamics and transients were slightly enhanced too. It might not be needed for easy to drive headsets or iems, but for the larger cans, it's a way to take them with you and drive them excellently ! :)

20210121_161055.jpg

20210121_161550.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #345 of 928
Spent the last hours testing both the HEDDs & Abyss TCs and could confirm that the BX-2 plus drives them to exquisite levels!

I was surprised that this light brick provides so much clean power that'll make your power hungry headsets sing! :beyersmile:

The pairing with the DX300 was fantastic! Airy, nice low end and no sibilance. Both layering, dynamics and transients were slightly enhanced too. It might not be needed for easy to drive headsets or iems, but for the larger cans, it's a way to take them with you and drive them excellently ! :)

Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, it is very powerful. In high gain mode, I can barely go passed the 9:00 with my Solitaire P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back