Rolling Stones SACDs--Initial Impressions
Sep 8, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #61 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Rick
Tower records shows same track listing as Best Buy, 23 tracks! I hope your list is right with 40 tracks. Virgin label release, still no mention if it is a hybrid.

Check here--it says 40 tracks.

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #62 of 80
FCJ
Ok, looks like 40 tracks to me then. What do you think of the two CDs, 1st CD looks great excellent collection. CD 2 I may argue a bit about songs included, I realize some of these are new songs stuck on as an "incentive", but couldn't we come up with better song selection on disc 2?

Sep 8, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

FCJ
Ok, looks like 40 tracks to me then. What do you think of the two CDs, 1st CD looks great excellent collection. CD 2 I may argue a bit about songs included, I realize some of these are new songs stuck on as an "incentive", but couldn't we come up with better song selection on disc 2?

BTW, I just checked the Tower listing. It lists only three (?) tracks on disk 2. Pretty bad, I'd say.

What bothers me about this collection, especially given the recent release of the back catalog, is that it duplicates songs that you can now get on at least 3-4 other CDs. For example, you can get "Street Fighting Man" on Beggars Banquet, Big Hits, vol II, the Singles Collection, and Hot Rocks. Why do you need it a fifth time?

Unless you're missing the Rolling Stones Records stuff (and if you don't I would get "Exile on Main Street" and "Sticky Fingers"), or you want the new stuff (I haven't heard it, so I can't comment) I would pass.

Oct 1, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
I just picked up Forty Licks at Costco for $19.99. It is 2 CD's 20 songs on each CD, and it is NOT a Hybrid.

That's a great price, too bad no Costco near me......wonder what Best Buy wants.......wait they have it for $17.99 on website, store price may be different. I'll buy it for $17.99!

I assume that Bob Ludwig remastered this version, can anyone verify this?

Oct 1, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #66 of 80
Quote:

originally posted by DarkAngel
I assume that Bob Ludwig remastered this version, can anyone verify this?

Yes, Bob Ludwig did indeed remaster this version.

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #67 of 80
Yessssssssssssssss!
Just picked this up at local Best Buy, $17.99! CD is marked $24.99
but sale price taken at register.
cool.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #68 of 80
$16.89 at Circuit City, but the guy who handles their DVD's and CD's knows me, and gives me the lowest advertised price in the area without my having to ask. Yep, actual customer service at CC, believe it or not
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #69 of 80
Quote:

Yessssssssssssssss!
Just picked this up at local Best Buy, $17.99! CD is marked $24.99
but sale price taken at register.
cool.gif

Cool, DA...

Guess I'll have to run down the street to the Costco...the nearest Best Buy is about twenty-five miles from here. I'm sure it will be cheaper than paying shipping charges to mail order it. I have all of this stuff on individual Cd's and Lp's, but this collection will be great for the automobile. I'm just sad that the disc's are not hybrids.

frown.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #71 of 80
I just did a quick comparison between 'Brown Sugar' on the original CD release of 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Brown Sugar' on the 40 Licks CD and it makes me wonder if improvement can be stated in excess of 100%, it is incredibly better in every way. Still I wish it were a Hybrid.

Anybody out there compare the Redbook layer and SACD layer on the same disc & song for any of the Hybrid Stones releases? Just curious.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:22 PM Post #72 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
Anybody out there compare the Redbook layer and SACD layer on the same disc & song for any of the Hybrid Stones releases? Just curious.

I have the Hot Rocks hybrids and there's absolutely no difference in the mix. The SACD side just sounds a lot fatter.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #73 of 80
Well I just came back from some CD shopping and saw the 40 Licks CD at Tower records for 19.99.

I thought this would be the perfect disk for me, as I have no Rolling Stones CDs yet. But I was suprised to learn that unlike all the other remastered releases this one is not a hybrid disk. Since I just bought a source that plays SACD, I decided to pass for the moment.

I wonder why they would release all the other remasters in hybrid format, but the one that will most likely appeal to "wider range" of listeners they didn't.

Oh well, slightly dissapointed, but I'll probably pick it up later anyway. I've decided not to let SACD determine my music buying. If I can get it in SACD format great, if not CD is sounding damn good on my new system, and will purchase whatever format to get the music I want.

However, I'm considering protesting against single layer SACDs that are priced higher than the CDs (look at the Lauryn Hill Unplugged for example). Considering they're selling hybrids at CD price levels, why would a buy a SACD only version costing more, this is just too much music industry profitering for me.

Zin

Oct 3, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #74 of 80
Since I recently picked up the Sony DVP-NS500V, I thought I would get one of these Rolling Stones remasters.I played it and it came out of the front speakers on my system, no where else. I thought something was wrong with the player or receiver. I changed all my settings and even went so far as to unhook the digital cable. The SACD indicator was on but not the multichannel. I finally figured out that SACD doesn't mean multichannel. Kinda like Dolby digital. There is 2 channel and multichannel. So now I have to go back and reset the reciever and player. Oh well....

I got the Hot Rocks double cd. I must agree that this is the best sounding Stones I've ever heard. What I did hear of it
biggrin.gif

btw mine came with a certificate stating that it is an inaugural edition hybrid disc.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #75 of 80
Just to add to this...

I own the hybrid remasters of both Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks. (Though I paid full price for More Hot Rocks, the first Hot Rocks was mis-marked $14.99 at my local Best Buy - and other copies of Hot Rocks had no price tag at all on them whatsoever! Yet Best Buy rings Hot Rocks up at its REAL price - $29.99. I was prepared to fork over the full $29.99 plus tax for that 2-CD/SACD hybrid set, and after I had waited for about 20 minutes just trying to get an answer, I finally paid the mis-marked $14.99 price.)

Sorry that I currently own neither a multichannel audio system nor an SACD player, but the sound quality of the remasters (in Redbook mode) is MUCH improved over previous masterings and remasterings. On previous masterings, the bass drum near the beginning of "Honky Tonk Women" was kinda muddled and boomy; on the new one, that same bass drum shows its TRUE depth extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back