Rolling Stones SACDs--Initial Impressions
Aug 27, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
It's obvious to me that they did this to keep from confusing the layperson and to make sure the CDs get placed in the general section instead of that tiny SACD section thats hidden throughout the store.

I fully blame Sony for the mess they've created of this, but I do believe the way the Stones remasters were handled was a GOOD step to correcting the problem. People who read their inner sleaves will discover that they already own some SACDs. Meanwhile it didn't scare anyone out of buyin them and the Stones are popular enough that all of the conneseuirs found out they were SACD through other means.

Fully agree. Plus, since almost all (not all, almost) of the Stones fans who will buy the remasters don't have an SACD player, it's not a big selling point. Also, there has been enough in the press for to alert those who may be interested that these are SACDs. I do think, though, that there should have been some label (albeit small) to denote that these have an SACD layer.

I also fully agree that SACDs should be transparent, in the sense that they should be hybrid disks, not single-layer. I think Sony has seen the error of their ways, but time will tell.

BTW, has anyone seen "Flowers?" "More Hot Rocks?" "12x5?"

Aug 27, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Well that sucked!
mad.gif

For those of you that did get them, did they at least have that little two-page booklet on SACD inside?

markl

No, not the ones I bougt. Overall, though, the repacking is first-rate. I was surprised.

Aug 27, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 80
gah, I'm going to pick em up tonight, still can't decide. Should I get Hot Rocks, The london years thing(is that available?), the singles collection(if I scrape up the money), or a couple regular cds?

Aug 27, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #19 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
gah, I'm going to pick em up tonight, still can't decide. Should I get Hot Rocks, The london years thing(is that available?), the singles collection(if I scrape up the money), or a couple regular cds?

The Singles Collection is aka The London Years. It was not available at Tower. When it becomes available it will be a 3-disc collection and the best compilation of the stuff released.

Hot Rocks is a 2-disc collection that WAS available at Tower last night and is basically a subset of that collection (give or take a couple of tracks).

Personally, if the quality is the same for every track, I plan to avoid the compilations since I'll end up buying the complete albums eventually anyway.

Aug 27, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 80
well, for now, I think I'll pick up hot rocks. So I can decide if i REALLY like the stones that much to buy everything. If not, I'll have a nice collection of their best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 80
I just ordered Hot Rocks too, andrzejpw...but for a different reason. I have remasters on CDs and new heavy vinyl. I just want to see if the SACDs are "hot" enough to make me want to buy this stuff again!

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 80
Quote:

I plan to avoid the compilations since I'll end up buying the complete albums eventually anyway.

But you'll be missing some songs that never appeared on the original releases. Like "Honky Tonk Woman." And "Jumpin' Jack Flash." And "We Love You." And "Child of the Moon."

Aug 27, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

But you'll be missing some songs that never appeared on the original releases. Like "Honky Tonk Woman." And "Jumpin' Jack Flash." And "We Love You." And "Child of the Moon."

Aren't these songs on some of the Virgin releases?

Aug 27, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #24 of 80
Quote:

Aren't these songs on some of the Virgin releases?

Maybe--I don't know. I also don't know the quality of the Virgin remasterings. Plus, the Virgin reissues aren't SACD.

What I'm really waiting for is an SACD of "Exile on Main Street."

Aug 28, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #26 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Well, I just got back from best buy. I bought Hot Rocks. Not bad! Now, just to rip my parents away from it. . . damn.
biggrin.gif

Cool...
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #27 of 80
I got my Let it Bleed today! SACD sounds great, especially "Love in Vain"
eek.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
I got my Let it Bleed today! SACD sounds great, especially "Love in Vain"
eek.gif

Where did you notice the largest improvements (if you had a previous version to compare to)? Listening to both "Beggars Banquet" and "Between the Buttons" I've noticed that the sound of acoustic guitars has become clearer and their overall focus has improved considerably. Also, percussion has become more pronounced (check "Backstreet Girl" on "Between the Buttons") than before.

Aug 28, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #30 of 80
Sorry FCJ, I'm a Stones n00b.
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I don't even have Beggar's Banquet or Between the Buttons yet. All in good time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back