Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
top_thrill.JPG

Top Thrill Dragster @ Ceder Point Sandusky Ohio

Rendered version with great perspectives

Here is a decent video
hehe..was on that last night
wink.gif

IIRC, still the world's tallest, and fastest coaster --- 0-120mph @ 3.8sec @ 90 degrees!
very_evil_smiley.gif

AWESOME!
That all I can say...
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

IIRC, still the world's tallest, and fastest coaster --- 0-120mph @ 3.8sec @ 90 degrees!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Got beat by Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey in 2004. they went 38 feet taller and like 10 miles faster. Same ride essentially, but theres a 100 foot hill after the tower descent... with brakes on half of the tower.

Saturday, I managed to get to sit on Cedar Point's new coaster Maverick for 10+ re-rides without having to get up.
eggosmile.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the difference between metal and wooden coasters? Is there really that much difference in the 'feel'?

huge differences in feel, design, speed and "fun parts"

metal coasters tend to be taller, faster, and smoother, they usually rely on loops and rolls to acheive their thrills. many have banked corners which make the turn seem faster and quite a bit smoother.

wooden coasters are usually smaller and slower, but they compensate with a tighter and faster arrangement of "fun parts." wooden coasters have many small humps which over the crest of them, you get a second or so of true zero gravity, many also use turns which are not banked and provide tremendous lateral g forces, and make it seem as though the train is going to speed right off the side of the track. wooden coasters are usually less smooth and more rickety, with a classic rumble as they go around the track

both are good, i tend to prefer wooden coasters.

any there any chicago people that are in love with raging bull as much as i am(my favorite metal coaster)? its the smoothest ride ive ever been on, and keeps its speed up for nearly the whole time

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got beat by Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey in 2004. they went 38 feet taller and like 10 miles faster. Same ride essentially, but theres a 100 foot hill after the tower descent... with brakes on half of the tower.

Saturday, I managed to get to sit on Cedar Point's new coaster Maverick for 10+ re-rides without having to get up.
eggosmile.gif

I saw the Maverick...didn't get me all excited. so I skipped considering the line.

how did you get 10+ rerides again?

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it was possible to do loops, but the loop structure itself had to be steel. King's Island had "Son of Beast" which had a loop, but it required the most uncomfortable, heavy trains. The weight actually caused damage last year, resulting in some injuries and the subsequent removal of the loop. It's a shame, as the loop was the best part, but the rest of the ride was immensely rough due to that uncomfortable, heavy, man-part cruel rolling stock.

Wood is making a HUGE comeback in the roller coaster world. All of the spectacular wood is being designed by the Gravity Group, who designed the coaster photo'd at the beginning of this thread.

I need to get to Holiday World and ride the Voyage, which many have said was their crowning achievement.

I rode the Son of Beast with the wooden loop! The rough ride is an understatement. I think I got a headache from all the shaking that was going on with that coaster.

That same year I also went to Cedar Point to ride the "Millenium Force" coaster. I think it was shut down and started back up at least once during the wait in line. That made me worry just a little bit since it was new...

Good times!

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #38 of 43
Great pictures. Just looking at those makes my stomach queezy. Not a big roller coaster fan. :/

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wooden coasters are still my favorites. Of the coasters I have ridden, the only steel coaster that has been able to compete with the wooden coasters is the 'Nitro' at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. This thing is one hell of a ride.

nitro1.jpg

Six Flags is one of the only attractions around that almost makes it worth visiting this craphole known as New Jersey. If you ever find yourself in NJ, check out Six Flags - good stuff.

As one who lives in NJ, I can tell you that you definitely have a very narrow view of things. Just where exactly in New Jersey have you ACTUALLY been? It seems to me that you visited some armpit like Camden or Newark where things are really crappy and just made a blatant assumption that the rest of New Jersey is like that. I can tell you as one who lives there that it is completely untrue. New Jersey is the most desirable place to live in for a reason. The economy is huge and healthy and virtually every place I could possibly want to go is within short distance of my neighborhood, which is still a pretty standard, well-off middle class suburban area.

Don't make stupid statements like that without any idea of what you're talking about.

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by damayor521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait till you guys check out Griffon, the latest coaster in Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Currently the tallest floorless dive coaster in the world. The highlight is the first drop ... 205 feet up, 90 degrees down. But the kicker is that right when you're about to go down the drop, the ride comes to a slow stop, pausing at the top of the ride for 5 seconds before going down 90 degrees.

http://www.griffoncoaster.com/

Check out the ride videos!!! I can't wait to ride it this summer!

Exact same ride at Busch Gardens here in Tampa, FL US.

http://www.buschgardens.com/BGT/sheikra.aspx

Oct 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #42 of 43
Ah roller coasters...makes me want to play RCT again
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to be the biggest roller coaster buff back when I was a kid. I knew a lot about roller coasters and had been on a lot of the rides around the United States (I live about an hour away from Cedar Point and have ridden each ride here at least three times) including Nitro, Top Thrill, X-Flight, Dueling Dragons, Talon, etc. Then I grew up and ran into other things to do and haven't really been the roller coaster kid I used to. Man, I wanna ride a roller coaster again.

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

I saw the Maverick...didn't get me all excited. so I skipped considering the line.

how did you get 10+ rerides again?

I'm a CoasterBuzz Club member and we had our annual Halloween event at Cedar Point. We got some Exclusive Ride Time at about 10 am, and the park didn't open till noon... 11 am for resort guests.

Maverick actually is pretty good. It's got a bit of everything in it. How often do you get air on a drop, float through corkscrews, then get a boost from standstill to 70 mph?

My only complaint is the vibration the trans are getting the farther back you sit. (Thanks Intamin...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back