Roller Coaster pics (56k warning)
Jun 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
My stepson is an electrician and recently moved to Houston to be with his fiance. He got a job pretty quickly with a local company and is currently working a contract at an amusement park in Galveston. He is doing some of the electrical work on a new roller coaster being built and took some pictures. I apologize for the large size, and I even shrunk them down. He has one of those panoramic cameras and the pics in their original size are absolutely amazing. I shrunk these down as much as I could while still keeping some of the beauty.

Hope you enjoy them.

Roller2.jpg

Roller3.jpg

Roller1.jpg

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 43
WOW!! do you have any more? please do post!!

My brother is a coaster enthusiast and an ACE member. He would enjoy these pics a ton
icon10.gif

thanks for sharing.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 43
Beautiful shots JMT. It must be great for your stepson to look at something that large and will bring that much enjoyment and know he was a part of it.

I like coasters, but I love photos of coasters. And seeing shots of the birth of a coaster is happier than the other end of its lifespan. Which of course can also be cool shots.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, those are some real nice pics. Post more if you have them.
They are made of wood? I would have thought they would use metal instead?
blink.gif

Yep. The wood roller coaster is definitely still alive and kickin'. Can't do intricate maneuvers like loops and heartline spirals with wood, but is still a great ride nonetheless.

Now I want to go to Six Flags over Georgia and ride the Great American Scream Machine again...

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are awesome pic's. And this is during the ride? That's some shutter speed and camera skill

No, the coaster is under construction. My stepson works for the electrical contractor.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. The wood roller coaster is definitely still alive and kickin'. Can't do intricate maneuvers like loops and heartline spirals with wood, but is still a great ride nonetheless.

Now I want to go to Six Flags over Georgia and ride the Great American Scream Machine again...

Actually, it was possible to do loops, but the loop structure itself had to be steel. King's Island had "Son of Beast" which had a loop, but it required the most uncomfortable, heavy trains. The weight actually caused damage last year, resulting in some injuries and the subsequent removal of the loop. It's a shame, as the loop was the best part, but the rest of the ride was immensely rough due to that uncomfortable, heavy, man-part cruel rolling stock.

Wood is making a HUGE comeback in the roller coaster world. All of the spectacular wood is being designed by the Gravity Group, who designed the coaster photo'd at the beginning of this thread.

I need to get to Holiday World and ride the Voyage, which many have said was their crowning achievement.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 43
Wow!! I love wooden coasters. Thanks for sharing
cool.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 43
I'm getting vertigo just looking at those photos!!!!!!
icon10.gif
NICE!!!!!

Man, wood roller coasters look so awesome compared to their metal/fiberglass counterparts. Since they tend to be more about height then acrobatics, I actually find them to be more of a thrill then the other types.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree, wood rollercoasters have a character all of their own. Man you brought back memories of my college days in the late 70's early 80's in Atlanta and riding the Great American Scream Machine. Lots of fun...
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 43
Wooden coasters are still my favorites. Of the coasters I have ridden, the only steel coaster that has been able to compete with the wooden coasters is the 'Nitro' at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. This thing is one hell of a ride.

nitro1.jpg

Six Flags is one of the only attractions around that almost makes it worth visiting this craphole known as New Jersey. If you ever find yourself in NJ, check out Six Flags - good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back