Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,896 of 3,218
Looks like the par-metal ones already have vents in them, that is a huge plus.  I guess that when working with front panel express (it is pretty easy, I am just worried about making the holes the right dimension) I can find the mounting specs (hole size, spacing, etc) in the datasheet for the part I am looking to mount?

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,898 of 3,218
What do people use for punching holes in the bottom of a case in order to mount the PCBs?  I am totally comfortable with soldering (not as much so with measuring, probably going to read around before I ask anything about that), but I am totally clueless on casework.  Is it prohibitively expensive to have Par-Metal punch all the holes I need when I order from them?

I haven't actually started my build yet due to budgetary setbacks, but I want to know how to do things so I know what tools I need. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2,899 of 3,218
You should use search & try to find some build threads around here (not necessarily just for this project)... IIRC there are some good ones around, showing tools, techniques, etc.

I think many use a good hand drill or drill press (w/center-punch, masking tape) to make their PCB standoff holes, etc.  The expense of proper, fancy professional-looking casework (machined cases, FPE endplates, etc) is higher than doing those manually.  But it does take some skill, planning, tools & practice to get decent looking results using a raw case & manual "machining".

For warm/hot projects one thing that's hard to manage manually & have it come out nice is enclosure ventilation.  I had to resort to some greenlee punch hackery to get adequate ventilation in my budget 2-ch beta22 build:

Note: I've since asked the ebay seller of this case to offer one w/more top panel ventilation & he has - search "Metal Cabinet Project Box HB-350-1" - you could use one of those cases for the PS & one for the AMP box of a 2-ch build.  They're once example of a low-cost serviceable case if you wanted to try to go the manual route.   I'm planning to pick some of those cases up once I clear the decks of my in-progress projects:)

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2,900 of 3,218
Jun 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,901 of 3,218
Jun 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,902 of 3,218
I had seen those adhesive stand-offs before.  I am just not sure how well they will stand up to shipping, as I will be moving to the other side of the world in the foreseeable future.  My main concern is all the heatsinks on these boards may be too heavy if a case ends up sideways in a box or something.

cfcubed, thanks for the tips.  I will search around more and check out those enclosures.  I was thinking of going with Par-Metal 20 series as they already have more than adequate ventilation.  They are just a little large for a 2 channel build, but I can deal with that.

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2,903 of 3,218
If I use an aluminum case for my Sigma22 and one for my Beta22 with the B22 stacked on top of the S22, will an unshielded transformer cause any hum in my B22?  I have read that aluminum is a totally useless an as EMI shield.  I was going to stack 2 Par-Metal 20 series cases on top of eachother, even though they are way bigger than what I need for a 2 channel build.  Will I have problems without a shielded toroid?

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,904 of 3,218
Quote:
If I use an aluminum case for my Sigma22 and one for my Beta22 with the B22 stacked on top of the S22, will an unshielded transformer cause any hum in my B22?  I have read that aluminum is a totally useless an as EMI shield.  I was going to stack 2 Par-Metal 20 series cases on top of eachother, even though they are way bigger than what I need for a 2 channel build.  Will I have problems without a shielded toroid?

I've built one B22/S22 combo with four transformers in it and I didn't hear any hum.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,905 of 3,218
Can anyone answer my noobie question? How much would all of the parts for 3 boards cost?

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #2,906 of 3,218
I realize its hard for newcomers to judge but 3-channel really is a unfortunate local to head-fi fad - not technically justified - you can have an excellent amp with just 2 amp boards

http://www.glassjaraudio.com/product.sc?productId=5 is one kit source

for further cost savings you can buy open frame linear supplies pre-built for less than sigma22 kit prices, near the cost of new parts alone if you shop aggressively unless you find surplus/remaindered/used parts

the biggest step up in "quality" - in many of the parameters that are claimed to motivate "3-channel" construction - is "dual mono" - separate, isolated power supplies for each channel - but to get full advantage requires 4-pin "balanced" connectors/headphone cabling

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #2,907 of 3,218
Quote:
Can anyone answer my noobie question? How much would all of the parts for 3 boards cost?

I think you could get the beta22 boards (w/components) for ~$100 each. The sigma22 board (w/components) would cost another $100. Add in the step-down transformer, heatsinks, case, case components, internal wiring, power and transfer cables, and shipping and....I'm not sure where that leaves you. My educated guess would be <$500 if you're lucky. Can anyone give a more concrete number for a frugal-ish 2 channel build? I'm actually quite interested myself.

Quote:
I realize its hard for newcomers to judge but 3-channel really is a unfortunate local to head-fi fad - not technically justified - you can have an excellent amp with just 2 amp boards

http://www.glassjaraudio.com/product.sc?productId=5 is one kit source

for further cost savings you can buy open frame linear supplies pre-built for less than sigma22 kit prices, near the cost of new parts alone if you shop aggressively unless you find surplus/remaindered/used parts

the biggest step up in "quality" - in many of the parameters that are claimed to motivate "3-channel" construction - is "dual mono" - separate, isolated power supplies for each channel - but to get full advantage requires 4-pin "balanced" connectors/headphone cabling

Link? Or are they just out there?

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,908 of 3,218
Jul 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2,909 of 3,218
I have all the parts for my boards, but before I start I am planning everything out so I don't end up with a mess on my hands.
So, I am back with a few questions about parts for the S22.  I would like some suggestions as to what are some attractive power switches that are rated up to 250V (I will be adding a voltage selector).

I have found this one on my own so far:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/124166211120000/?qs=VO2%2fVXZcKR0q6Y2q9v1PLg%3d%3d

I was wondering if there are other good looking ones out there, preferably in black, rated for 250V.  Also, is this one safe to hook up to the power mains as a power switch?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

I also need suggestions for IEC power connectors (fuse?), and I found a voltage selector which should work with the transformer I have (series-parallel).  If anyone is interested, I plan to use this voltage selector:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/00334504/?qs=j1qng3XoT%2fnBgzwr5nRvnQ%3d%3d

I found the connectors I will use for the umbilical cable on p. 103 of this thread, but don't know what cable to use for it.

Finding the proper parts for the B22 is much easier as I understand that end better.  But I would like some suggestions for internal wiring wire (especially sheilded wire to wire to the pot on the front).

Thanks as always.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2,910 of 3,218
Quote:
I have all the parts for my boards, but before I start I am planning everything out so I don't end up with a mess on my hands.
So, I am back with a few questions about parts for the S22.  I would like some suggestions as to what are some attractive power switches that are rated up to 250V (I will be adding a voltage selector).

I have found this one on my own so far:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/124166211120000/?qs=VO2%2fVXZcKR0q6Y2q9v1PLg%3d%3d

I was wondering if there are other good looking ones out there, preferably in black, rated for 250V.  Also, is this one safe to hook up to the power mains as a power switch?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

I also need suggestions for IEC power connectors (fuse?), and I found a voltage selector which should work with the transformer I have (series-parallel).  If anyone is interested, I plan to use this voltage selector:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Schurter/00334504/?qs=j1qng3XoT%2fnBgzwr5nRvnQ%3d%3d

I found the connectors I will use for the umbilical cable on p. 103 of this thread, but don't know what cable to use for it.

Finding the proper parts for the B22 is much easier as I understand that end better.  But I would like some suggestions for internal wiring wire (especially sheilded wire to wire to the pot on the front).

Thanks as always.

Do not use the switch in your link because its a momentary switch. You will cut the power as soon as you let go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back