Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Sep 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #2,776 of 3,218
digger945, the added R fixes the short-to-ground problem, but the other issue of dependency on source output impedance still stands, and the adjustment range is actually made worse by the added R.

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #2,777 of 3,218
Yea I kinda new that adding the resistor would make the shunt even less effective. It(the whole thing) was just an adjustable idea for a fixed solution... so to speak. I see now how the lower(and fluctuating with adjustment) impedance would maybe not be a good idea for a source/pre.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #2,778 of 3,218
I'm making progress on my build. So far, the power button boards and power supply are finished, and they work perfectly. The only problem I had was an ID10T problem when I was hooking up the power button.

Note to self: B stands for button, not Blue LED.

I'm still waiting for the Beta 22 kits to arrive from Glass Jar Audio, so I'm going to work on the various panel connections next.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #2,779 of 3,218
Hi, I am planning on building a balanced 4-board β22. I had no experience on building an amp. Other than 4-board of β22 and 2 boards of σ22, case, volume control and plugs, what else do I need? How is the wirings done in a balanced 4-board β22? Do I need a pair of ε22 board? What about the heatsinks? Can anyone enlighten me on this and the important points to take note of if I were to build it? Is there any step by step guide available? Thanks for your help guys.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #2,780 of 3,218

Quote:
Hi, I am planning on building a balanced 4-board β22. I had no experience on building an amp. Where can the ground/left/right channel amplifier module be bought from. Other than 4-board of β22 and 2 boards of σ22, case, volume control and plugs, what else do I need? How is the wirings done in a balanced 4-board β22? What about the heatsinks? Can anyone enlighten me on this and the important points to take note of if I were to build it? Is there any step by step guide available? Thanks for your help guys.

I do not want to sound mean, however I think you are in over your head.  B22 is one of the more complex builds you can do, and doing a balanced just adds more complexity.  The answer to your questions are detailed on amb site. 

I would strongly recommend you build a few other easier projects before you jump into building a balanced B22.  You may think that you want to save money by jumping straight to the B22 but chances are if you do that you will waste much more money in mistakes than you would ever spend on several smaller projects.

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #2,781 of 3,218

Please get some insulated quick connects for your high voltage AC lines.  They are cheap and easy to find at the local hardware store and can save you from a very life costly mistake.  If you can not find insulated ones then just cover the connectors with some heat shrink.
Quote:
I'm making progress on my build. So far, the power button boards and power supply are finished, and they work perfectly. The only problem I had was an ID10T problem when I was hooking up the power button.

Note to self: B stands for button, not Blue LED.

I'm still waiting for the Beta 22 kits to arrive from Glass Jar Audio, so I'm going to work on the various panel connections next.

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #2,782 of 3,218

Quote:
I do not want to sound mean, however I think you are in over your head.  B22 is one of the more complex builds you can do, and doing a balanced just adds more complexity.  The answer to your questions are detailed on amb site. 

I would strongly recommend you build a few other easier projects before you jump into building a balanced B22.  You may think that you want to save money by jumping straight to the B22 but chances are if you do that you will waste much more money in mistakes than you would ever spend on several smaller projects.

Thanks for your reply. What project would you recommend me to start of with?

Sep 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #2,783 of 3,218
Quote:
Please get some insulated quick connects for your high voltage AC lines.  They are cheap and easy to find at the local hardware store and can save you from a very life costly mistake.  If you can not find insulated ones then just cover the connectors with some heat shrink.

That's my plan. I just have it setup like that temporarily. I will be working on the rest of the panel connections soon, and I will rewire the AC socket and switch then.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #2,789 of 3,218
Quote:
I am in the process of building an Opus DAC. As soon as I finish this I will be moving on to my Beta and Sigma. I have the DIY itch and I feel the need to scratch it.

May I ask why you decided to build an Opus rather than a Buffalo II DAC? I'm curious because I was considering building a Buffalo II after I finish my Beta 22.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #2,790 of 3,218
I chose it for three reasons. One is it's cost. I have always loved music and now that I have weened myself away from mp3's I have decided to make myself some nice components to listen to music. That said, this is all new to me. The cost to get into the Opus dac is much more palatable to me at this point in my newly found interest in high fidelity equipment. The second reason was all the rave reviews on the units. Not just here at Head-Fi but all over the web. Third reason would be that I can purchase the Opus pieces at a time. Three Opus boards, the psu and a usb interface. Oh yeah, and the enclosures. Still haven't figured out what I am going to use. I think wood and have some metal fabricated for the ends top and bottom. Keeping the build modular keeps me from taking a big hit in the pocket book.
Considering I am just starting down this road I don't even have a good iron yet. That is about $100 to add to the project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back