Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Mar 11, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2,583 of 3,218
About to start ordering parts. One question though. If I can get all the caps and resistors for free, how much would I save if I buy the boards, heat sinks, etc, over the glass jar kit?

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2,584 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pompon believes in audible differences between power cables. Enough said
rolleyes.gif

It will be interesting to see if pompon hears differences between his silver cable and a standard power cable with this. It is my premise that differences in power cables can be attributed to the quality of the PSU (or lack thereof).

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2,585 of 3,218
I built my first cmoy last summer and plan on building a starving student next week. I've seen "beta 22" talked about, and seen a few finished builds in the "show off your builds" thread, but never really looked into it. I've taken a look at their website though, and lemme tell you, I've been drawn in. I mean, multiple inputs, multiple outputs, and a bunch of "discrete" crap I don't even understand? I build my own power supply?

This sounds like the ULTIMATE DIY project. Mark me down as "thinking about doing it". As soon as I graduate and get a job, I'm in.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2,586 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be interesting to see if pompon hears differences between his silver cable and a standard power cable with this. It is my premise that differences in power cables can be attributed to the quality of the PSU (or lack thereof).

I am not doing a powercable ... I just want to know what is the lenght I need to wire a B22 balanced.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #2,587 of 3,218
Length of what? Umbilical between the PSU and AMP?
Check the wiring and ground section of the b22 website for what AMB considers the longest length before causing problems.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2,588 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not doing a powercable ... I just want to know what is the lenght I need to wire a B22 balanced.

We can not answer that question for you. You need to layout your boards in the case figure where you are going to have your connectors and measure.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2,589 of 3,218
Just a note for anyone thinking of picking up a TKD attenuator for a build, and follow-up to my earlier comments about them.

I had written them asking if there was a 50K part available as it wasn't in the data sheet. Very friendly response, got back to me within a day. They will do custom builds with about a 30-45 day turnaround. No problems on a 50K, and they'll even do a 4-gang for balanced.

Far from cheap, but through the US distributor they sent me to, pricing works out to be a bit less for a custom 4-gang attenuator, including shipping, than it would be to buy 2 x stereo controls from Percy Audio + shipping.

-Mike

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2,590 of 3,218
Hi,
Lately I've noticed some power-off thump in one side with my ~2 years old balanced b22.
I'm not sure if this is a new thing for the amp or something that was always there.
(I've upgraded my headphones to HD800 recently)

I've rechecked all the voltages and for DC offset and everything seems in order.
Any idea where to look next?

Mar 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2,591 of 3,218
Does it thump with the volume set to minimum when you power off? The thump could be from the source if the volume is up. A β22/σ22 should emit almost no thump on power up or down.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #2,593 of 3,218
if there is a thump on turn on/off then something is not 'symmetrical'. one of the design goals (as I understand it) is to BE symmetrical so that things are 'even' at turn on and off times.

maybe some component has drifted over time, throwing off the careful internal balance? or a solder connection started showing some resistance?

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2,594 of 3,218
hey guys, just got around to testing my first sigma 22, and i am already ready to start onto the questions hah. i built the board for 30 volts, but i am getting +and- 22.03

would definately appreciate any help, i have triple checked all the values on the pars list, and they are correct as far as i could tell.

here are all the values i could easily get to

cr2 8.28
cr3 25.15
cr4 25.11
r1 46.01
r2 46.52

after bridge rectifiers : 46.5

i can possibly post hirez pics later tonight, thanks a lot guys!

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #2,595 of 3,218
With the power off and all capacitors discharged, measure the resistance of your R8 and R10. Are these what you expect?
With power on, measure the voltage across D5. What is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back