Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jul 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #1,158 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used 2W 20 Ohm as there were no 22s in Frys.

While the resistance is ok, you need to make sure that it's a non-inductive type. I don't know which resistors you got from Fry's, but the Zobel network is intended to provide a form of high frequency compensation, and if the resistor is inductive, then it effectively nullifies the function of the Zobel.

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #1,159 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow great way to introduce your own board! would you happen to have a spare?

I only had one board made as I knew I would make a mistake somewhere, and boy did I!

If you notice in the photo the board has V3.0 on it, the schematic I uploaded is V3.3. I made quite a few stuff ups on that first version.

Some changes from the V3.0 to V3.3:
* Fixed the picaxe programming circuit
* Added in the output switching relays (yes I managed to forget to include them)
* Changed the circuit from having 4 independant LEDs for showing status to using 2 bidirectional LEDs (I originally was going to have the status LEDs very similar to namaanf's, but I wanted all of the buttons on the two cases to be the same, so it made sense to use them as indicators as well.)

You can't actually see the changes I made for these in the final pictures as they are underneath the board.

Jul 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #1,160 of 3,218
I've tested 4 Sigma22s today and so far, 2 good, 2 dead
redface.gif
redface.gif

Problem Sigma22 No.1:
I reversed CR2-CR4 J508/J511. Holy crap, I guess I will have to replace ALL the CRDs/BJTs/MOSFETs then? I shouldn't have rush like this.
Problem Sigma22 No.2:
Everything seemed fine at first, I used DMM to check the DC Voltage then. Suddenly fire and smoke came up from Q15.
Maybe I shorted V- to G by my probe accidently.
redface.gif

Resistors seems OK, so I guess I am replacing the MOSFETs only.
Any advice will help, thanks.

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #1,161 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by askforwhy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem Sigma22 No.2:
Everything seemed fine at first, I used DMM to check the DC Voltage then. Suddenly fire and smoke came up from Q15.
Maybe I shorted V- to G by my probe accidently.
redface.gif

Resistors seems OK, so I guess I am replacing the MOSFETs only.
Any advice will help, thanks.

this sounds EERILY familiar (read: exactly the same things happened to me).

however, after replacing all 4 mosfets as well as Q1 and Q2, I still did not have a working s22. upon testing even more of the transistors, I found Q3 had somehow blown itself - however, all that desoldering caused me to lift a trace, and I called it quits on that board. I'm now in the process of building another one

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #1,165 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the resistance is ok, you need to make sure that it's a non-inductive type. I don't know which resistors you got from Fry's, but the Zobel network is intended to provide a form of high frequency compensation, and if the resistor is inductive, then it effectively nullifies the function of the Zobel.

I'm not certain I got the exact type specified on your site but I think so, however, the amp was set to no output when it was turned on, ie, the 'phone/speaker switch was set to off in it's center position. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #1,166 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amp was set to no output when it was turned on, ie, the 'phone/speaker switch was set to off in it's center position. I don't know if this makes a difference.

It shouldn't make a difference, if everything is wired up correctly. Why not post some clear pics of your internal wiring?

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #1,168 of 3,218
It has been very weird thing happening to one of my beta22 boards. When the board is placed horizontally 75mV on R34 is pretty much stable, but as soon I flip it to vertical voltage is skyrocketing (within few seconds) to 120mV and up, when I flip it back to horizontal it takes few seconds for voltage to drop to preset value. I've inspected board visually and found nothing wrong.

I've noticed it during heatsinks change for a larger ones 2.5". I have 5-ch balanced/SE version. Firstly I built 3ch and later on I decided to add 2 more boards and make balanced. To fit two more boards I had to place a new ones vertically and decided to add larger heatsinks to compensate for loss of heat dissipation. And than I've find out that one of vertical boards is overheating after few months of normal functioning. What could be the problem? Thanks

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #1,169 of 3,218
qkizz, the heatsink fins dissipate heat most effectively when it's oriented veritcally (helps convection). If you change the board orientation then the temperature will inrease. Normally the MOSFETs should compensate for the increase a bit by their negative thermal coefficient, but you may still need to re-adjust VR2 to turn down the bias.

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #1,170 of 3,218
amb, I understand that. What is surprising to me, is that voltage start rising (2mv/s) the same second I flip the board. Within few seconds when it is happening the temp on heatsink won't even rise and I'm already at about 100mV. Would such a sudden change in heat dissipation off heatsinks trigger sudden change in bias?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back