Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #1,111 of 3,218
well the dimensions I could find, but not necessarily how high to stack them and you guys since having built with alot of the same parts would have more idea. The headqwize forum of b22 is gone and it had alot of info that would help me. I just see how so many others have input to help, and I would like to have a similar oppourtunity.

EDIT: also on searching here, I only found my own posts of questions, or someone saying BUILD IT, when I searched for 6 board B22. I just wanted to help to have as few roadbumps along the way, and not have to ship a chassis back and forth
frown.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #1,112 of 3,218
You may need to take into account any height below the board for standoffs/terminal blocks also. Otherwise, you will need to keep in mind that jacks/pots/switches/etc. take up real estate as well so it's not just the boards. My reco would be to go one size bigger than you think you'll need. Better to have too much room than not enough. Also, having extra space may make your life easier when trying to wire everything up.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,113 of 3,218
I've been lately thinking about ecological solutions. I know that class A amplifier is inherently anything but ecological.

Let's assume that we have a 6 board β22 with 2 σ22s as power supply. The regular solution would be to use each σ22 to power 3 β22 boards with the power switch on the AC side. I've been thinking of putting 2 separate power switches for those situations where I want to use the β22 unbalanced and need only one headphone. The problem is how to conveniently switch the power off from the active ground boards when I want to use β22 in balanced mode?

I've gathered that it is a bad idea to use a switch for this purpose on the DC side as it wears the components on those boards when they are switched back on.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #1,115 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the dimensions I could find, but not necessarily how high to stack them and you guys since having built with alot of the same parts would have more idea. The headqwize forum of b22 is gone and it had alot of info that would help me. I just see how so many others have input to help, and I would like to have a similar oppourtunity.

EDIT: also on searching here, I only found my own posts of questions, or someone saying BUILD IT, when I searched for 6 board B22. I just wanted to help to have as few roadbumps along the way, and not have to ship a chassis back and forth
frown.gif

before you buy a chassis, populate 3 boards and stare at them. then stare at them some more. sketch out some 1:1 drawings on graph paper. lay out the boards on the drawings and stare at them some more. seriously, you need to put some effort into this.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #1,116 of 3,218
One of the reason’s I opted to build a Beta22 was the huge support provided be the Headwize site. Three massive threads covering lots of issues and topics in fine detail. I managed to get through my build with that help, I couldn’t imagine doing it without, so I feel for anyone at the moment taking on the Beta22 without that knowledge.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #1,117 of 3,218
I got a clear work mat from the local United Educational Arts store, it is marked with lines 1 inch apart. You can cut it with a knife or sling solder on it and it holds up pretty good. They come in different sizes, mine is 13x19.
Makes it easy to lay unpopulated pcb's and stuff on top and see how it's gonna work out and how much room you've got.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,118 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, so what is the reccomended way to go about it? It's for going to the stax box the same as if I plug it into the headphone socket.

You could use a high-current DPDT switch, or a DPDT relay activated by a smaller switch), or the relay activated by the switch in the headphone jack...

Quote:

It's a standard neutric which lifts all three contacts when plugged in and closes them when unplugged so no signal passes with headphones in and all three pass without. Whichever way I look at it it still doesn't make sense as it;s essentially just an extension of the jack which I'm using in another amp to switch from 1/4 to 1/8" phone jacks. Only one can be active at a time.

What is the exact part number for that jack? And how did you hook it all up? A diagram would help.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #1,119 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been lately thinking about ecological solutions. I know that class A amplifier is inherently anything but ecological.

Speaking "ecological" and "class A" in the same sentence? Heh...
If you want to save power, build a class D amp.
wink.gif

Quote:

Let's assume that we have a 6 board β22 with 2 σ22s as power supply. The regular solution would be to use each σ22 to power 3 β22 boards with the power switch on the AC side. I've been thinking of putting 2 separate power switches for those situations where I want to use the β22 unbalanced and need only one headphone. The problem is how to conveniently switch the power off from the active ground boards when I want to use β22 in balanced mode?

There is no convenient way to do it if you divide the power supplies up this way.

Quote:

I've gathered that it is a bad idea to use a switch for this purpose on the DC side as it wears the components on those boards when they are switched back on.

Correct, see related post.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #1,120 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a clear work mat from the local United Educational Arts store, it is marked with lines 1 inch apart. You can cut it with a knife or sling solder on it and it holds up pretty good. They come in different sizes, mine is 13x19.
Makes it easy to lay unpopulated pcb's and stuff on top and see how it's gonna work out and how much room you've got.

i like butcher block from Ikea.
smile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #1,121 of 3,218
Well its finally done.
The front panels arrived yesterday from FPE so I was able to fit them last night.
I went with dual colour Bulgin momentary switches for the mode buttons.
Blue
3674656911_a3d74a3482_b.jpg

Green
3674658175_0d8a477bfb_b.jpg

3675467026_04914b5c35_b.jpg

3674657537_170fe1b7c0_b.jpg

The control of the amp is done using a Picaxe18+driver chip to handle the LEDs as well as the input/output/muting relays.
The volume control is a Joshua Tree. I migrated the parts from original boards to the custom control board. The relay boards were left unchanged.

As I mentiond before, this build was heavily inspired by one of Namaanf's previous Beta22s.
icon10.gif

Now I need to convert all my phones to balanced
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #1,124 of 3,218
Thanks guys
smile.gif

Just don't look under the control board, its a mess with the modifications I had to make.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back