Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Sep 5, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #721 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Folks,

I am only posting here because someone asked me to.
smily_headphones1.gif

IVY certainly can be used as a SE to Balanced converter.

You would just omit the BAL/SE part of the cct, and tie -IN to GND. The setup would be similar to the Opus setup, in fact you could use that setup sans the BAL/SE part.

You might adjust the input impedance to 2K.

Its a pretty simple mod.
smily_headphones1.gif
The output will be a nice clean balanced signal.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,
Could you be more specific about this mod? Exactly what parts should I omit and change? Would be really helpful as Im planning on using the IVY in a b22 build.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #723 of 3,218
Except for the 0.47Ω power resistors, all resistors on my β22 amps are Vishay-Dale RN55D 1/8W.
Resistors from other manufacturers like Xicon, BC, Panasonic... (1/4W) with the same dimensions as Vishay-Dale RN55D 1/8W will work fine but not necessarily better.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #724 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenorsaxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!
To those who they have already built β22 amplifier:
Is it better (or more easy to work on PCB) to use 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistors?
Many thanks.
Davide.

I though the recommended 1/8W was easy enough to work with. I dont see any benefits in going 1/4W unless you have trouble finding the 1/8W. There is space for slightly larger resistors on the boards though.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #725 of 3,218
Hi amb (or anyone who knows for sure):

I will have a Dantimax relay attenuator between the input and my 3 B22 boards (AG config.)

Should I connect the ground channel to the RCA jacks (at the signal grounded case) or to the output of the attenuator?

What type of cable is best to use for the ground channel's input--shielded (shield connected to what?!), or would simple hookup work for this (~7")?

Thanks for your support. My build is going quite well thanks to all the posts here and elsewhere.

Scott

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #726 of 3,218
Crow, see the β22 website's "Parts list" and "Wiring and ground" sections. You'll note that the active ground channel board's input is already grounded via its own R2 resistor. The diagram shows a ground wire only, connected to the input ground (same place as the left and right channel board's input ground -- at the volume pot). Since it's only one wire, there is nothing to shield.

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #727 of 3,218
Got another one for you guys. On my B22 Left channel, both 2sj74 jfets measure a short across D-S. Indeed, my input is short circuited; my 170's are both ok (4.5v across R9), and during the initial setup all the procedures went ok--the board still powers up and biases (output at least) correctly.

So my 74's are blown. I don't know how this happened, but I have a couple guesses:

1) As I recall, I did not have my inputs shorted while adjusting the bias of the input transistors (dumb mistake), but did so right after, and the setup still went as expected.

2) Heat: Should I have used alligator clips on the transistors to keep heat down? I did not have the (40w) iron in contact for more than a second though, and I already have built one healthy board w/o clips...

What else could have caused this?

Thanks...

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #728 of 3,218
Testbench accident (whether you were aware of it or not)? DMM probes and other objects, useful tools as they are, could also cause damage in the most inopportune moments.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #729 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Testbench accident (whether you were aware of it or not)? DMM probes and other objects, useful tools as they are, could also cause damage in the most inopportune moments.

Hmm.. my voltmeter thought 30 ohms was a short across S-D of the 74's. It turns out that all input jfets have sane G-D and G-S resistances. Inspection of the board seems not to reveal any solder bridges/etc. Still operates normally.

In light of this, would you think that there must be some bridged connection hidden somewhere between the input jumpers and the transistors? If not, what other components could cause a short between input and ground? Or are my jfets still dead?

Just wanted to double check before I really start ripping stuff apart to check for shorts...

Thanks so much

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #731 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crow, how about a careful visual examination of all solder joints and traces (under magnifying glass)?

Progress. The short is between the input pad and R1. I have connected a wire to the input side of R1 and disconnected it from the board there. I now have sound. Inspected all around the jumpers, and elsewhere--can't find the short. I'm thinking it may be inside the board, wish I'd checked it before I populated it.

Thanks for your patience!

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #732 of 3,218
It's possible the short is on the board, but not inside the board as these are two-layer boards. Sometimes a manufacturing defect (under-etched spot) could cause such a short. You should look very carefully at the trace between the input pad and R1 (under magnification) to see if you could locate it. Then, it's a simple matter of scraping/cutting the short away with an X-acto blade.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #733 of 3,218
So I found the short. Connected the dmm to the input and put it in continuity/beep mode. Started slicing around the input trace with an x-acto blade, and when the beep stopped, problem solved.

Ti, this short escaped a 16x loupe and a bright flashlight. There was no reasonable way to visually find it. The moral of the story for prospective builders out there: check for shorts before you build.

I know that having the manufacturer not do this step makes these boards affordable, etc, but this point is still important.

Another B22 is born, and it's sounding fantastic. It has a spacious and mature sound that I won't soon grow tired of. I'll post some photos eventually.

One quick Q amb, as I am plugging in the 'phones (volume at minimum), there is a quick, semi-loud squeal until the plug is fully seated. Hopefully this is harmless oscillation caused by a temporary short condition? Otherwise, the amp is behaving as spec'd (offset, bias, etc) and sounds excellent.

I appreciate your support and may not have started this project without your presence here and elsewhere. Thanks for bringing so much perfection into DIY audio.

Cheers,
Scott

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #734 of 3,218
Crow, do you have a 3-channel active ground configuration? Check that you used the correct C2-C5, R2, R3 and R4 values on the ground channel (they're different than the left and right).

If those are correct you might want to try adding the zobel network to the output as described at the β22 website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back