Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jun 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #976 of 3,218
I happened to accidentally get some bi-polar caps, of the same values, for C9,C10,C11,C12. (UEP1H101MPD)

Though I have a suspicion that this is a terrible idea that will serve no purpose other than to demonstrate my total lack of understanding of how different capacitors work, I do wonder - can I use these in my B22?

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #977 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember what your broken σ22's symptoms are. But the standard thing to do is to check MOSFETs for shorts, check 0.47 ohms resistors for open circuit, and check your BJTs using the DMM's diode check mode (I described this several times elsewhere, search for it). The CRD itself is probably ok, but if you have a spare, replace it anyway.

MOSFETs and resistors look fine so far. It's probably the BJT(s). I might just go ahead and replace them all anyway since I need an excuse to practice using my Hakko 808 desoldering gun anyway. That being said, I could probably use some practice checking them with my DMM as well so I guess I can take a crack at that first.

BTW, three of my four beta boards passed the initial checks fine. The fourth board is getting 0 volts at R9 and is not responding to VR1 adjustment. The LED lights up fine though and the MOSFETs (no shorts) and 0.47 Ohm resistors (no opens) appear to be fine. Suggestions on next steps?

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #979 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MBTW, three of my four beta boards passed the initial checks fine. The fourth board is getting 0 volts at R9 and is not responding to VR1 adjustment. The LED lights up fine though and the MOSFETs (no shorts) and 0.47 Ohm resistors (no opens) appear to be fine. Suggestions on next steps?

Search for my post about checking the voltage drop across D11 and D12.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #980 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
El_Doug,
bipolar electrolytics typicallly have higher ESR and do not perform as well as a good polarized cap on these boards.

thank you! 16 new caps ordered

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #982 of 3,218
Quote:

Well, D12 voltage was like 28 so I guess I know what to replace. Hopefully that's the last problem before I finish up the wiring and get a listen!

Just to remind you that it's not D12 that you need to replace, it's Q26.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #983 of 3,218
Right. I actually got that believe it or not. Thanks for the reminder though!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #984 of 3,218
hey, I finally got my 2ch b22 cased up well enough to show it. its probably the cheapest case-work in the whole lot but it is stable and functional.

I re-used a 2U PC router chassis, as is apparent:

3627008430_14e5026c4f_o.jpg

3627007668_a26d7fa463_o.jpg

I also use ABS plastic sheets that my local plastic store cuts to size and those become poor man's LW-panel-express, sans labels
wink.gif

nothing expensive on parts but I did want to pay attention to wiring, routing and layout internally. I believe I have a near silent B22, now.

the case was $15, the plastic was $5. and it will get me by until something better comes along.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #988 of 3,218
Quote:

what's with the extra caps on the sigma?
smily_headphones1.gif

ha! you saw that?

that was one of the caps that I blew up by installing backwards.

I swore to get revenge on those caps. so I buddied them up so they'd have someone to watch over them. 2 can't be trusted at a time, so I brought in a third.

lol
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #990 of 3,218
Very nice. I like the green led's for a change of pace. Neat wiring. You'll have to let us know whatcha think of the SQ now. I've looked high and low for something to route wires that is kinda like those retainers for spark plug wires. I saw them on some machinery when I worked in a hosiery mill once, a long time ago. The machines where Italian.
I like the way you lined up the HS's also. Not a big surprise from you though, you seem to always have neat builds.
Thanks for the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back