Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
May 4, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #451 of 3,218
Still slowly finishing my b22 build. Managed to finish my power supply today. The backpanel is from cardboard panel express
smily_headphones1.gif
Will order the real one when I got everything running.

05040003.jpg

Yes, I like sleeving
wink.gif
The small transformer feeds a TREAD at 5v for some relay switches and there is also an unregulated secondary for the Joshua Tree attenuator.

May 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #452 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The backpanel is from cardboard panel express
smily_headphones1.gif
Will order the real one when I got everything running.

You certainly have spared no cost
biggrin.gif

Those panels by cardboard express are some of the most expensive in the DIY industry
biggrin.gif

By the way, nice progress - thanks for the photos
wink.gif

Will

May 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #453 of 3,218
/raises hand

In the planning stages for a build now, which will be a combined work of me and a skilled DIY friend of mine who will be doing the assembly and testing. I initially had thought to build a 4-channel balanced version, but i've since changed my mind in favour of a 3-channel active ground config.. fed by 3 sigma22's
evil_smiley.gif

The amp will be a dual purpose unbalanced headphone amp/speaker amp, using mostly reccomended parts (Kermet ceramics, Wima polystylene, Panasonic FM/FC eletrolytic, Dale Vishay 1% tol resistors, Alps 'black beauty' pot), with the exception of using triple sigmas, with a 330V +30v+30v Toroidal, both in an external enclosure.

No parts have been ordered yet, we're still trying to find a good source for hookup wire - we'd prefer to have multiple colours to help keep track of which wire's which, and I'd personally like to do all the internal wiring with silver plated copper, but we've so far only been able to find 100ft+ reels of the stuff which would be ridiculously expensive to buy multiples of.

Will keep people posted on the progress
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #455 of 3,218
Just got started by ordering part's for a single ended 3 channel B22 from amb's webiste.
biggrin.gif

I have some vacation time coming up and I needed something to do! This DIY stuff is pulling me in.....

I'm sure I'll be posting questions sooner or later.

Ech0

May 5, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #457 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit of advice needed, i'm not sure whether to go for a balanced option or the 3 channel version, has anyone made both who can give me a comparison in sound? I don't have any other balanced gear so if i went fully balanced id need to make a dac and wire my headphones.

Well ....... I built a 3 channel Beta22 ........

.... then I decided to build a DAC. It eventually ended up being a fully-balanced DAC and pre-amplifier.
wink.gif

Now I wish I'd built the balanced Beta22, so I could make full use of the pre-amp.
rolleyes.gif

If you intend to go balanced later ...... at least make sure your case is big enough to expand it.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #459 of 3,218
Yeh the only thing thats putting me off full balanced is th fact id need a dac fully balanced to even try it out. What dac did you make?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well ....... I built a 3 channel Beta22 ........

.... then I decided to build a DAC. It eventually ended up being a fully-balanced DAC and pre-amplifier.
wink.gif

Now I wish I'd built the balanced Beta22, so I could make full use of the pre-amp.
rolleyes.gif

If you intend to go balanced later ...... at least make sure your case is big enough to expand it.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #460 of 3,218
Grab a pair of balancing transformers from cinemag and you can use an unbalanced source with pretty good results. a simple box iwth rcas on one side and xlrs on the other works wonders. It won't give you the double source voltage swing, but gives most of the other benefits.

May 5, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #462 of 3,218
For HD600's i'd reccomend a gain of 5, since that'd effectively be doubled and give you 10.

One option you might want to persue is to build a 5 or 6-channel design so that you can have simultaneous balanced and unbalanced with active ground. Also keep in mind that the standard 4-channel balanced setup can be used with unbalanced headphones too, you just switch to a 2-channel passive ground configuration when doing so.

May 5, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #463 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice MrMajestic2! Looks very similar to mine as far as parts and layout.

Thanks mate. Yeah, didnt realize it was that similiar until you said it
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully Ill get it done within a week or so.

May 6, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #464 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeh the only thing thats putting me off full balanced is th fact id need a dac fully balanced to even try it out. What dac did you make?

Twisted Pear Opus - Dual-mono with Metronome, USB and SP/Dif integrated into the pre-amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #465 of 3,218
I'm planning on building probably a 2-channel beta-22 and stuffing it in a Hifi2000 case. Not sure if I'll use the o22 power supply or another solution yet. Desk space is at a premium and I can always upgrade to an o22 PSU later on if I so desire.

I've been looking over the details of the design and what's involved in building it, I'm pretty sure I can handle it once I get some tools; I think it'd just be good to build something that will have some longevity. =)

Won't be soon, maybe three months from now while I assemble a better workspace to handle something this involved. I'd also like to get some worthy headphones to pair with such an amplifier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back