Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jan 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #2,296 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my 2ch b22 for speaker use (8" tannoy 2way pbm8's) and it seems to fill the room with volume (and bass, too!) before I even get to '11' on my volume control (lol). typical size bedroom, not large living room, though.

I'd go b24 before I'd go balanced on a b22 for spkr use. balanced b22 is VERY expensive and it seems like the b24 is the better choice if you truly are going to drive 'hard' (large) spkrs.

it took me a long long time to even 'concede' to do a 3ch b22
wink.gif
and I did it because the backplane was 'there' and easy to use. to be honest, I never heard any diff on the 3ch version. once you are 'very good' being better does not make the sound any better; only makes your wallet lighter and your stereo rack heavier
wink.gif

Ah but the b24 requires a preamp no? balanced b22 would make a great preamp
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2,297 of 3,218
Quote:

I've been using my 2ch b22 for speaker use (8" tannoy 2way pbm8's) and it seems to fill the room with volume (and bass, too!) before I even get to '11' on my volume control (lol). typical size bedroom, not large living room, though.

I'd go b24 before I'd go balanced on a b22 for spkr use. balanced b22 is VERY expensive and it seems like the b24 is the better choice if you truly are going to drive 'hard' (large) spkrs.

it took me a long long time to even 'concede' to do a 3ch b22
wink.gif
and I did it because the backplane was 'there' and easy to use. to be honest, I never heard any diff on the 3ch version. once you are 'very good' being better does not make the sound any better; only makes your wallet lighter and your stereo rack heavier
wink.gif

Maybe look at it from the source side? Most of the seriously good DAC's are balanced and if they have an SE output it has usually been neutured by only using half the signal or summed via opamp.
In some cases you even have a 'discrete output stage' only to find that they got lazy and stuck an opamp in for the SE output.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #2,298 of 3,218
Quote:

strongly disagree.

balanced is hype for most consumers. its about ego more than anything.

I'll take the opposite view and say that balanced is 'a bit silly' in this context. I may bring my 2ch b22 and 3ch b22 with me to the next meet. I challenge anyone to do a DBT and tell me which was which. I doubt anyone could.

I wish ego would not enter into 'building the biggest' amp. this is not the reason to build 'big amps' (sigh).

ego? We both could probably spend all day posting links to threads containing posts from well respected long standing members of the community decrying how much better balanced rigs are than single ended.

Having not built my beta 22 yet, I can only go off the fact that the consensus seems to be that balanced sounds better.

ego? What man.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2,300 of 3,218
Hey guys just wondering what would be a tube rival to the Beta22? I still plan on building a B22 but funds are low right now. I plan on have a B22 and some tube amp just to have the best of both worlds.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #2,301 of 3,218
Quote:

I've only built 2 b22 boxes but having experienced the extreme overkill that even 1 board gives per driver, I just cannot see using 2 of them per driver. sorry but that seems like ego to me.

Ive no idea how you can state that everyone who owns a beta22 in balanced config do so as a result of ego.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2,302 of 3,218
When you consider how amazingly powerful a 3-channel B22 really is, I'd also lean more toward the idea that building the balanced version is more of a "because I could" or, of course "just for fun". Whether or not it has anything to do with ego, I don't really have an opinion... This is, of course, coming from someone who has not done extensive listening to balanced setups, so I have no gauge of how much better/different it can sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2,303 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys just wondering what would be a tube rival to the Beta22? I still plan on building a B22 but funds are low right now. I plan on have a B22 and some tube amp just to have the best of both worlds.

Tube hybrid would be something like a balanced EHHA or the Stacker II if/when that project comes out into the open. Pure tube I would check headwize.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #2,304 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider how amazingly powerful a 3-channel B22 really is, I'd also lean more toward the idea that building the balanced version is more of a "because I could" or, of course "just for fun". Whether or not it has anything to do with ego, I don't really have an opinion... This is, of course, coming from someone who has not done extensive listening to balanced setups, so I have no gauge of how much better/different it can sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or it is "because I wanted balanced phones" or "because I have a k1000". The beta 22 is generally overkill anyway, but there is something to be said for never worrying whether your amp will be up to the task.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2,305 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube hybrid would be something like a balanced EHHA or the Stacker II if/when that project comes out into the open. Pure tube I would check headwize.

I think the stackerII will only be commercial not DIY release now...

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #2,306 of 3,218
Quote:

there is something to be said for never worrying whether your amp will be up to the task.

this, I agree with
wink.gif
that's what prompted me to build the b22 in the first place.

perhaps what I'm saying is that once you reach some threshold, throwing 'more' at it does not help. that's my experience and even 1 board of b22 is way beyond the point of sensibility (to be honest). you *know* its doing its job and doing it well, just feel those heatsinks and see how much effort they spend 'standing still' (lol).

one does not need double that. imo. but I suppose ymmv (standard disc)

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #2,307 of 3,218
Quote:

The beta 22 is generally overkill anyway, but there is something to be said for never worrying whether your amp will be up to the task.

X2! This was also my reason.
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #2,308 of 3,218
Quote:

I've only built 2 b22 boxes but having experienced the extreme overkill that even 1 board gives per driver, I just cannot see using 2 of them per driver. sorry but that seems like ego to me.

I'm compensating for a small p3nis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back