Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Jan 10, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #2,116 of 3,218
Adamus,
the B22 is a wonderful amp, but a double-edged sword. the Bijou is a perfect tonic for poorly engineered/compressed recordings. i switch between the two amps frequently depending on what i'm listening to.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2,117 of 3,218
Hey folks... looking for some help with a sigma22. I've made enough mistakes with various B22 boards now that I'm pretty good at fixing those on my own, but I just finished my first sigma that didn't work on the first try. Not sure where to start. All I can tell you is that I get no output, no smoke, no LED at power up. But I did verify I am getting the AC from the trafo to the board ok.

Thanks is advance for the help!

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #2,118 of 3,218
linuxworks,
i was about to rip you for the knob choice but then read your last paragraph. seriously, keep the wood. also, check out the Kilo knobs at Digikey. looks f'ing great too!!!

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #2,119 of 3,218
Read and follow the initial check steps on amb's website. Follow these sequentially; don't jump around.

The σ22 Regulated Power Supply

If you get through the initial check and get the LED working, continue on in the troubleshooting section of that page, there are voltage points for several different output configurations listed on that page. That should get you started.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #2,120 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks... looking for some help with a sigma22. I've made enough mistakes with various B22 boards now that I'm pretty good at fixing those on my own, but I just finished my first sigma that didn't work on the first try. Not sure where to start. All I can tell you is that I get no output, no smoke, no LED at power up. But I did verify I am getting the AC from the trafo to the board ok.

Thanks is advance for the help!

do you have any measurements at operating points as outlined under "Initial Check"?

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #2,121 of 3,218
Pars beat me to it.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #2,122 of 3,218
Yah, I don't get very far in the initial check section since my LED didn't light and I don't get any voltage at the output! So I was going to go through the voltage points but didn't know where to start. Is there a logic to start from the outside in, left to right, or other sequential order? I was scared to just start poking around since I didn't want it to just sit powered on for too long in case extended on time would lead to more bad stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read and follow the initial check steps on amb's website. Follow these sequentially; don't jump around.

The σ22 Regulated Power Supply

If you get through the initial check and get the LED working, continue on in the troubleshooting section of that page, there are voltage points for several different output configurations listed on that page. That should get you started.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2,123 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linuxworks,
i was about to rip you for the knob choice but then read your last paragraph. seriously, keep the wood. also, check out the Kilo knobs at Digikey. looks f'ing great too!!!

I may try a kilo at that size; there's only 1 that digikey carries that is at all large. may still not be big enough and it gets very pricey as you go up.

maybe time to try partspipe or something on ebay. I just hate having to go to HK to get parts; I really do.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #2,124 of 3,218
one thing about power supplies, don't short anything while testing it..
wink.gif

should be obvious but sometimes its hard to test and look at the same time. what I will sometimes do is solder short wire-wrap wires to test points and use clip leads to grab onto those 'extension points'. you can work safer that way (as long as wire length doesn't affect things; and in this case it won't).

then again, dont' short THOSE test leads if you grow a lot of them on the board at once
wink.gif

I soldered some test cutoff leads to the .47ohm r's on the b22 for bias checking just to make THAT job easier, too.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #2,125 of 3,218
I do that too with power supplies; especially for adjusting shunt regulators and their CCS

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2,126 of 3,218
I just started having a problem with my amp... I was listening to a vinyl recording and at first thought it was just a messed up LP, heard screeching. But then I paused it and the screeching continued for a little while. Then I'd hit play again and it would start up again.

I turned off my amp and the LED- instantly turned off and the LED+ turned off extremely slowly like there was no load on it at all. Q15 and Q16 on the sigma-22 were very hot after just a few minutes of use, much warmer than Q13 or 14.

I have not turned it back on since to avoid further damage. Any suggestions?

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #2,127 of 3,218
Sounds like you have developed a short somewhere, and it is drawing a lot of current. Would be a good plan to go through the whole procedure of checking wiring, checking for shorts to gnd, etc.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #2,128 of 3,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, I don't get very far in the initial check section since my LED didn't light and I don't get any voltage at the output! So I was going to go through the voltage points but didn't know where to start. Is there a logic to start from the outside in, left to right, or other sequential order? I was scared to just start poking around since I didn't want it to just sit powered on for too long in case extended on time would lead to more bad stuff.

Since the LED is powered off the rails, and since you have no rail voltage, might not be anything wrong there.

The first thing I would do is go through every component, making sure it is the right part (particularly transistors) and that they are oriented properly. If that is fine, then with a schematic handy as well as the operating points, you probably want to start at the input and work towards the output until you find something that isn't right. Double check your transformer wiring as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back