Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #4,156 of 4,743
@kousik1946

in all my dealings with Aliexpress  (i really have done a lot of them), i always ask to make it marked down to lower price.

Only when i asked for an Aukey Powerbank (30000mah) custom officer pushed a duty of 1600INR, and there is no way to contest it, so seriously we are at their mercy. My friend recently ordered Shanling and he was asked to pay around 40000INR as duty, he went to visit them and custom officer was sitting with a laptop and googling prices and just picks up the costliest price he can find for it and put the duty on it

Indian Customs with Google is worse now.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #4,157 of 4,743
And it is not like we have both the will and competency to manufacture such items. We may actually be competent enough but we just don't have the will. So it is really unfair to put such heavy duties if someone wants to get them from abroad. They wouldn't if we made such items here. All our manufacturing barring very few exceptions have been a failure.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #4,160 of 4,743
And it is not like we have both the will and competency to manufacture such items. We may actually be competent enough but we just don't have the will. So it is really unfair to put such heavy duties if someone wants to get them from abroad. They wouldn't if we made such items here. All our manufacturing barring very few exceptions have been a failure.

It's not a matter of will but market. Indians won't spend more than Rs.1000 on IEMs and even then they are fewer.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4,161 of 4,743

It's not a matter of will but market. Indians won't spend more than Rs.1000 on IEMs and even then they are fewer.

You are right. That is the root cause of the problem.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #4,163 of 4,743

Unsure about that. I have the Campfire Andromeda and have actually bought (and kept) the TFZ Series 3,5, Dunu 2000j and the Shure SE 535. I stopped because IEMs give me an ear ache very quickly. 

Add: You guys are way into IEMs more than I will ever be so I will bow to the majority :)

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,164 of 4,743

Rs.1000 is high end lol. I doubt many would be willing to spend more than Rs 100
On a similar note, Tymphones make CIEMs in India but I doubt they have many customers.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4,165 of 4,743

Rs.1000 is high end lol. I doubt many would be willing to spend more than Rs 100
On a similar note, Tymphones make CIEMs in India but I doubt they have many customers.

Thanks for the pointer regarding Tymphones. Will look into it.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #4,166 of 4,743
I am into headphones and when I gave my portapros for audition to a friend he liked it but no the price. Now these are super cheap portapros. He asked me to suggest a wireless for the price and that's not an isolated case, people often gasp when they hear how much a M50 costs. Spending more than 3-4K means better to go for wireless. For some reason 'wireless' means more hi-end to them. Technologically it is but not sonically. They do own a 40-50k DSLRs and stuff but they think it's waste on spending on audio unless again it's a home theatre. People are still spending on portable bluetooth speakers, that somehow means better investment for them. For most more bass means better sound, the wow factor gets them. I get most requests for suggestions for more bass IEMs.

These are my observations of the market, so Indian market needs more exposure to the sound like in a first hand experience to mature.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #4,167 of 4,743
I made a mistake by letting my new friend try the HD 650s recently. He did not know the cost before trying it. After listening to them for a while - he was like - "****! kya clarity hain. par ismein treble bohot zyada hain aur bass kum. mere creatives mein zyada bass hain isse"( ****! these sound extremely clear, but these are treble heavy and bass light. My creatives have more bass compared to these) 
I told him the total price of my system later, he is like - " kya! arey ch$#@ya hain kya tu . ismein ek bike ayegi. main woh nah khareed lu "( WHAT !! are you dumb? I would rather buy a bike at that price)
I wanted to facepalm so bad. Also, this guy spent more than a lakh on a gaming rig lately.
Indians can't imagine spending more than 5k on a headphone, they would happily spend it on other things but portable audio. They have a hard time digesting the fact that headphones can cost more than a lakh. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #4,168 of 4,743
  i dare not tell price of Dunu to anyone. First I would be laughed at "why i didnt buy a Bose?" and then worst would be "what's Dunu?"

hahaha don't.
Once you tell them -  it is a company based in China and their IEMs are expensive. They would react like - " whaaaaat!!! You invested this much in a chinese earphone. You are dumb"

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #4,170 of 4,743
Quote:
  I made a mistake by letting my new friend try the HD 650s recently. He did not know the cost before trying it. After listening to them for a while - he was like - "****! kya clarity hain. par ismein treble bohot zyada hain aur bass kum. mere creatives mein zyada bass hain isse"( ****! these sound extremely clear, but these are treble heavy and bass light. My creatives have more bass compared to these) 
I told him the total price of my system later, he is like - " kya! arey ch$#@ya hain kya tu . ismein ek bike ayegi. main woh nah khareed lu "( WHAT !! are you dumb? I would rather buy a bike at that price)
I wanted to facepalm so bad. Also, this guy spent more than a lakh on a gaming rig lately.
Indians can't imagine spending more than 5k on a headphone, they would happily spend it on other things but portable audio. They have a hard time digesting the fact that headphones can cost more than a lakh. 

Lol.. i still remember.. the look on my mom's face when my bro told her tht i spent approx 45k on a83 and fiio x5..
biggrin.gif
Bartan, jootey phek ke maarna baaki tha bas..
tongue_smile.gif
(I was lucky she didn't start throwing things at me) That expression though, 'priceless'
tongue_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back