Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,477 of 4,743
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]Alright, time to duly post some impressions of Headphone Connect - Delhi!

Let me start with the venue; The Pint Room outlet in Vasant Vihar, D Block Market is a good beer cafe in a fairly quiet neighborhood I thought; a good place to hang out with friends. So as far as quiet beer pubs go, this would probably be it. But frankly I think an event like Headphone Connect deserves to be in a much quieter setting, maybe someone's home, maybe a rented hall; we shall have to figure this out later. But as of now, I have to say the first edition of Headphone Connect was, to me, a really good place to be at!

So when I reached the venue with a couple of my friends early and introduced myself to Raghav Somani, I was met with an immediate reaction, "So you're Shreyas! Now we do have a face to know you by, and not just a user name."
This felt good, because, I think this is what meets do; you get to know your online pals better, give faces to their user names.

Right then, on to the cans!

So, after chatting with Raghav about this great initiative and how this had all been fueled by their desire to convince brands like Audeze that India did indeed have enough enthusiasts to buy their luxurious products, I got on to trying out those very cans, which until now, I'd only seen online, mostly through posts and reviews on Head-fi, and a few other websites. And I have to say, in spite of all the noise in the pub, in spite of how ridiculously heavy the cans were, and in spite of their sheer size and how geeky they made you look after wearing them, boy did they sound good! I am of course talking about the Audeze line-up.

Here are my initial impressions on the three models they had for demo; the LCD-2, LCD-3 & LCD-X.
I plugged in my portable setup (FiiO X3 1st gen + FiiO E12A using FiiO L16 interconnect) to the LCD-2, changed the setting to high gain, and put on a great track called 'Burn On' by Greylag. Boom. The details in the bass automatically put a smile on my face, and needless to say, the smile stayed on till I reluctantly took off the cans and mounted them back onto their stand. The western styled electric guitars which I like so much were so detailed that I realized I had to spend quite a lot of time listening to my favourite tracks to even experience what these cans had in store, which unfortunately wasn't possible in the very limited time available.

The LCD-3 was connected to the Audeze Deckard desktop amplifier, and I realized that the outside noise was too much to have a good listen. Need more time on these. Definitely.

The LCD-X sounded to me like a more efficient version of the LCD-2, at least for what an initial impression is worth anyway. Which meant that the LCD-2 smile came right back on. Nice!

Next up I tried on the AKG K612, brought for demo by a Harman employee, and shifting from the Audezes, when I picked up the K612, what a relief! Did not feel as if I was picking up a piece of ammunition. Good. I then put them on, and listened to my own setup and tracks. Very good indeed; initial impressions were very good. Detailed clear sound, but bass detail wasn't as awesome as the Audeze's (LCD-2/X). The fit of the pads was the major issue for me anyway, with the circular pads not sealing the ears properly for my slightly large ears.

I'm already half asleep as I'm typing this, listening to High Hopes Live in Gdansk through my HD558, and the acoustic guitar ending is just so soothing, that I have to pause this post at this moment, and continue later..when I can truly fathom what I'm typing. Cheers folks, and enjoy the music!

--------------To Be Continued (with some hastily taken pics of course, and more impressions) -----------------------

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #2,478 of 4,743
My E50 review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-e50-e50s/reviews/13512

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,479 of 4,743
Alright, time to duly post some impressions of Headphone Connect - Delhi!

Let me start with the venue; The Pint Room outlet in Vasant Vihar, D Block Market is a good beer cafe in a fairly quiet neighborhood I thought; a good place to hang out with friends. So as far as quiet beer pubs go, this would probably be it. But frankly I think an event like Headphone Connect deserves to be in a much quieter setting, maybe someone's home, maybe a rented hall; we shall have to figure this out later. But as of now, I have to say the first edition of Headphone Connect was, to me, a really good place to be at!

So when I reached the venue with a couple of my friends early and introduced myself to Raghav Somani, I was met with an immediate reaction, "So you're Shreyas! Now we do have a face to know you by, and not just a user name."
This felt good, because, I think this is what meets do; you get to know your online pals better, give faces to their user names.

Right then, on to the cans!

So, after chatting with Raghav about this great initiative and how this had all been fueled by their desire to convince brands like Audeze that India did indeed have enough enthusiasts to buy their luxurious products, I got on to trying out those very cans, which until now, I'd only seen online, mostly through posts and reviews on Head-fi, and a few other websites. And I have to say, in spite of all the noise in the pub, in spite of how ridiculously heavy the cans were, and in spite of their sheer size and how geeky they made you look after wearing them, boy did they sound good! I am of course talking about the Audeze line-up.

Here are my initial impressions on the three models they had for demo; the LCD-2, LCD-3 & LCD-X.
I plugged in my portable setup (FiiO X3 1st gen + FiiO E12A using FiiO L16 interconnect) to the LCD-2, changed the setting to high gain, and put on a great track called 'Burn On' by Greylag. Boom. The details in the bass automatically put a smile on my face, and needless to say, the smile stayed on till I reluctantly took off the cans and mounted them back onto their stand. The western styled electric guitars which I like so much were so detailed that I realized I had to spend quite a lot of time listening to my favourite tracks to even experience what these cans had in store, which unfortunately wasn't possible in the very limited time available.

The LCD-3 was connected to the Audeze Deckard desktop amplifier, and I realized that the outside noise was too much to have a good listen. Need more time on these. Definitely.

The LCD-X sounded to me like a more efficient version of the LCD-2, at least for what an initial impression is worth anyway. Which meant that the LCD-2 smile came right back on. Nice!

Next up I tried on the AKG K612, brought for demo by a Harman employee, and shifting from the Audezes, when I picked up the K612, what a relief! Did not feel as if I was picking up a piece of ammunition. Good. I then put them on, and listened to my own setup and tracks. Very good indeed; initial impressions were very good. Detailed clear sound, but bass detail wasn't as awesome as the Audeze's (LCD-2/X). The fit of the pads was the major issue for me anyway, with the circular pads not sealing the ears properly for my slightly large ears.

I'm already half asleep as I'm typing this, listening to High Hopes Live in Gdansk through my HD558, and the acoustic guitar ending is just so soothing, that I have to pause this post at this moment, and continue later..when I can truly fathom what I'm typing. Cheers folks, and enjoy the music!
To Be Continued (with some hastily taken pics of course, and more impressions)

Thanks for sharing Shreyas!

Looking forward to Part 2

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #2,480 of 4,743
It was a nice event @ShreyasMax , feels nice to put a face to the username. The LCD3+Deckard definitely need more time and less noise. After listening to the K612 I want the k7xx even more.

Great initiative by Raghav and HeadphoneZone team for sure.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,481 of 4,743
Hey Guys..
Here are some pictures from Headphone Connect, New Delhi Meetup. We had over 30 Head-Fiers and Audiophiles who joined us for a fantastic evening. Big shoutout to Head-Fiers @ShreyasMax,@vaibhavp and @abhinit90 for joining us with their gear. The full album can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.915047738533840.1073741834.151162144922407

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #2,482 of 4,743
Thanks a lot to headphone zone team for organising such amazing event. Some impressions:

I was mostly interested in sources and amps so spent most of my time with deckard and various fiio gear. I simply plugged in my akg k550 in most of them to get a handle on sound as they are closed back and I am well familiar with them. Other than that I only tried audeze cans. But i have no regrets. I came out of meet a lot wiser. Anyways, impressions:

Audeze deckard: tons of detail. It took k550 to next level of detail and powerful presence. If you are detail loving person, my recommendation would be solid state dac amp box and a detail oriented hp like k550. Uncompressed natural dynamics, fleshed out instruments, strong impactful bass. I also tried sennheiser hd650 with deckard, but being open back, i couldnt judge it properly. Although i must admit deckard was quiet a bit neutral, so not for everyone.

Fiio x5 ii: as a standalone player its great. Sound was neutral well separated, but didnt do it for me.

Fiio x5 first gen: the musicality i was missing in second gen was present here in spades. Akgs liked it a lot. Music was well textured, bass was strong and detailed. Awesome. I dunno why fiio is messing with great sound of original x5. Please note that my impressions are subjective. Ymmv.

Fiio e12 & e12a: biggest surprise of meet. X5 and e12 both old versions presented simply the best musicality i have ever heard. Total its a $500 setup, and one can get a lot of gear at that price that i have not heard. But i think its up there with best gear in that price range. Akg can sound v shaped if not properly driven. No such problem here. Great soundstage, every instument had great texture and presence, great control over drivers.

Fiio x1 and e11: x1 on its own is not very detailed. Bass is quiet strong. Its barely better than my cellphone. However adding e11 makes a big difference. Not as good as x5/e12 combo, but very good. I am thinking its perhaps as good as my audinst. Definitely worth the price, and i will choose it over any standalone daps, except x5 first gen.

Audeze lcd x, 2, 3: lcd x was connected to fiio x3 ii, because of which it automatically went out of contention. Its easy to drive but needs at least a portable amp imo.
Lcd 3 was connected to deckard and lcd 2 to fiio x3/ e12a combo. Surprisingly i preffered lcd 2. It was a noisy environment so am not completely sure. It may be cause i preferred fiio e12 a lot, while deckard was, though technically supirior, perhaps was too neutral to my taste.

All in all a great meet. Quiet informative. Once again thanks to headphone zone for great gear and beer.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #2,483 of 4,743
Quote:
  Hey Guys..
Here are some pictures from Headphone Connect, New Delhi Meetup. We had over 30 Head-Fiers and Audiophiles who joined us for a fantastic evening. Big shoutout to Head-Fiers @ShreyasMax,@vaibhavp and @abhinit90 for joining us with their gear. The full album can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.915047738533840.1073741834.151162144922407

Whoa, did I just spot an Earwerkz CIEM?

Looks like HeadphoneZone nailed it once again.
Thanks for sharing your impressions @ShreyasMax, @vaibhavp, @abhinit90

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,484 of 4,743
Thanks for sharing Shreyas!

Looking forward to Part 2

You're welcome my friend. Will post the remaining bit soon.
You were by the way mentioned more than once by Raghav, for being the IEM expert, and the go-to man in Bangalore for folks in need of new earphones.
Keep up the good work, I say!

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,485 of 4,743
Hey Guys..

Big cheers to you guys for taking the initiative. Listening to the Audezes in particular, and the other higher end cans as well, was well worth the wait, and then some.

As I was saying in my previous post on the impressions, if we could get a less noisier place for a meet up, and for a longer time as well, preferably from morning to late afternoon or evening, that would enable most of us to have long sessions to spend with each good headphone/ earphone and form more deeper opinions on the sound. Well this is just my thought, and I hope to see Headphone Zone being at the forefront when a proper Head-fi meet gets organized in India, whenever that is!

Until then though, do keep us drooling with yet more such Headphone Connects, and we'll make sure to spread the word about good quality audio to the growing segment of higher end headphone users here in India.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #2,486 of 4,743
It was a nice event @ShreyasMax , feels nice to put a face to the username. The LCD3+Deckard definitely need more time and less noise. After listening to the K612 I want the k7xx even more.

Great initiative by Raghav and HeadphoneZone team for sure.

Sure was a great start for us head-fiers in NCR!

We should plan that next meet up very soon, what say?

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,487 of 4,743

Quote:

Whoa indeed, I don't think there was a CIEM at the meet, or was there?

Anybody knows about this pals?, @vaibhavp or @abhinit90 ?

And you're welcome, @sandman1990 . Do note however that the impressions are very initial listens, and you know how an open headphone sounds with background noise. I'm just imagining how they'd sound in the comfort zone of our own home!

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,488 of 4,743

Quote:

Whoa indeed, I don't think there was a CIEM at the meet, or was there?

Anybody knows about this pals?, @vaibhavp or @abhinit90 ?

And you're welcome, @sandman1990 . Do note however that the impressions are very initial listens, and you know how an open headphone sounds with background noise. I'm just imagining how they'd sound in the comfort zone of our own home!

Yes i did saw a pair. Though they were custom so didnt bothered.

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,489 of 4,743

Thanks for that Vaibhav. And good post on the impressions by the way. I'm really even more keen to listen to your HD700 now! Hope that happens soon, and that shall hopefully coincide with our next Head-fi meet up, what say, @abhinit90?

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #2,490 of 4,743
Originally Posted by ShreyasMax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for that Vaibhav. And good post on the impressions by the way. I'm really even more keen to listen to your HD700 now! Hope that happens soon, and that shall hopefully coincide with our next Head-fi meet up, what say, @abhinit90?

I'm all ears for the meet
tongue.gif

There was a customwerkz IEM from the guy who brought his HD650, sadly he isn't active at any forum. Nice guy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back