Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #406 of 4,743

Thanks for the information sir. Will check this out. I believe someone was referring to the toxic cables on another thread, will try to dig and read.
And yes, the Grado fit hurts my ears as well. I washed the pads in warm soapy water, and this did soften them up, but I need to give my ears a break every 20 min. The Audio Technica's are extremely comfortable, perhaps the most that I have tried, they vie with the D7000 for that spot.

You're welcome. The ATH is a very good fit for me as well. I've gotta tell you though, the Fostex TH 900 and the HD 800 are the most comfortable fit thus far for me.

Oh yes, the HD800 is mighty comfy too, as is the HD650, once the headband loses its clamping force.

BTW I didn't see the option to opt for XLR on the toxic site, cables are just single ended. He does say to check below for other termination options, but there is nothing to see.

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #407 of 4,743
Oh yes, the HD800 is mighty comfy too, as is the HD650, once the headband loses its clamping force.

BTW I didn't see the option to opt for XLR on the toxic site, cables are just single ended. He does say to check below for other termination options, but there is nothing to see.

Oh don't be fooled by the product page. When you go to order, you will get termination options. The wait time can be very long though

Apr 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #408 of 4,743
  hello everyone, i am from west bengal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, Welcome to the community. What headphone you're using now? 

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #411 of 4,743
Okay, so I had the chance to audition the Sennheiser HD800 today.....Unfortunately, @vaibhavp and @abhinit90 couldn't make it :frowning2:

The Sennheiser Office had the Lehmann Black Cube Linear as the amp for the HD800, which was connected to an HP laptop through headphone-out :facepalm:
But, unlike the last time when I had auditioned the HD800, this time around I had my DX100 as the source. I had even brought my LCDs for a side-by-side comparison.
So, I had my DX100 connected to the Lehmann BCL via Line-Out playing music through the HD800 and LCD2.

And I'll state this explicitly: I liked the HD800 better for most genres of music, than the LCD2! except maybe the EDM...
One could argue that the Lehmann BCL isn't better suited for the LCD, but I'm not here to talk about that.
I'm here to talk about how marvellous the HD800 sounds!

Let me start by saying that this time around the DX100 did make a huge difference, unlike in the past when the source was a humble laptop (via headphone-out). I may not be able to recall everything, but I can say one thing with certainty, that the HD800 did sound much better...way ahead than the last time I heard :)

Ergonomics: They are so friggin light and comfortable! I couldn't feel them placed on my head, nor cupped around my ears!
SQ:
Transients: The HD800 has an extremely good transient response. It was able to deliver the "snap" of instruments effortlessly. The sound is a little "thin", but most people would never know till they hear other good headphones.
Clarity: The details that the HD800 was able to bring out from the music, was simply shocking! It is at par with the LCDs way ahead of the LCDs, which are planar magnetic headphones, and supposed to do better at detailing>right?
Soundstage: Dat soundstage!! This was something I had admired even the last time around, and it was no surprise that the sound was coming from everywhere, but from around my ears.
Lows: The HD800 are anything but bass-shy. They are able to produce copious amounts of bass when the music calls for it. The impact (read:thud) may not be the same as the LCDs, but the quality of the bass and the attack speed, are both praiseworthy indeed.
Mids: They were excellent as well, with great transparency and both male and female voices sounded quite natural.
Highs: Not at all offensive! Extremely pleasing and musical to my ears. Dunno what was responsible for that in the audio chain -- the DX100 or the Lehmann BCL?? But, the cymbals sounded very natural and more importantly: inoffensive.

All in all, the HD800 made music sound very natural, effortless, live and realistic. The transparency was so great, that I was able to focus on all the subtle details in music, without straining my ears.
While listening to certain songs, where there were passages involving high-pitched voices of singers, I had goosebumps! >> such was the sound quality from these headphones.

Okay, so if you haven't guessed it yet.............................I have already placed an order for the HD800 
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for the amp, I'm set for the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, and will buy it soon. I do not wish to read any more reviews, nor spend money on experimentation here.

PS: Please do not consider that the LCD 2 headphones are inferior to the HD800, based on my brief impressions above. It is too early to say that, since I haven't heard the LCDs using an amp best matched with them; as against the HD800, which I heard using the Lehmann BCL amp -- which is de facto, the official amp Sennheiser uses for its HD800!

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #412 of 4,743

Quote:
  Okay, so I had the chance to audition the Sennheiser HD800 today.....Unfortunately, @vaibhavp and @abhinit90 couldn't make it :frowning2:

The Sennheiser Office had the Lehmann Black Cube Linear as the amp for the HD800, which was connected to an HP laptop through headphone-out :facepalm:
But, unlike the last time when I had auditioned the HD800, this time around I had my DX100 as the source. I had even brought my LCDs for a side-by-side comparison.
So, I had my DX100 connected to the Lehmann BCL via Line-Out playing music through the HD800 and LCD2.

And I'll state this explicitly: I liked the HD800 better for most genres of music, than the LCD2! except maybe the EDM...
One could argue that the Lehmann BCL isn't better suited for the LCD, but I'm not here to talk about that.

Let me start by saying that this time around the DX100 did make a huge difference, unlike in the past when the source was a humble laptop (via headphone-out). I may not be able to recall everything, but I can say one thing with certainty, that the HD800 did sound much better...way ahead than the last time I heard :)

Ergonomics: They are so friggin light and comfortable! I couldn't feel them placed on my head, nor cupped around my ears!
SQ:
Transients: The HD800 has an extremely good transient response. It was able to deliver the "snap" of instruments effortlessly. The sound is a little "thin", but most people would never know till they hear other good headphones.
Clarity: The details that the HD800 was able to bring out from the music, was simply shocking! It is at par with the LCDs way ahead of the LCDs, which are planar magnetic headphones, and supposed to do better at detailing>right?
Soundstage: Dat soundstage!! This was something I had admired even the last time around, and it was no surprise that the sound was coming from everywhere, but from around my ears.
Lows: The HD800 are anything but bass-shy. They are able to produce copious amounts of bass when the music calls for it. The impact (read:thud) may not be the same as the LCDs, but the quality of the bass and the attack speed, are both praiseworthy indeed.
Mids: They were excellent as well, with great transparency and both male and female voices sounded quite natural.
Highs: Not at all offensive! Extremely pleasing and musical to my ears. Dunno what was responsible for that in the audio chain -- the DX100 or the Lehmann BCL?? But, the cymbals sounded very natural and more importantly: inoffensive.

All in all, the HD800 made music sound very natural, effortless, live and realistic. The transparency was so great, that I was able to focus on all the subtle details in music, without straining my ears.
While listening to certain songs, where there were passages involving high-pitched voices of singers, I had goosebumps! >> such was the sound quality from these headphones.

Okay, so if you haven't guessed it yet.............................I have already placed an order for the HD800 
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for the amp, I'm set for the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, and will buy it soon. I do not wish to read any more reviews, nor spend money on experimentation here.

PS: Please do not consider that the LCD 2 headphones are inferior to the HD800, based on my brief impressions above. It is too early to say that, since I haven't heard the LCDs using an amp best matched with them; as against the HD800, which I heard using the Lehmann BCL amp -- which is de facto, the official amp Sennheiser uses for its HD800!

Congrats on your new hd800 and great job giving us your detailed impression.

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #413 of 4,743

+1. I am glad that the wait was worth it. I concur with your impressions as well except that the amp is different on my case. I don't even know if there is one amp that will drive the 800 and the LCD well.
Unfortunately I have not heard of the Lehmann amp so time to check it out. I thought Senn used their in house amp the HDVD800.
Finally, Simran, how about that wallet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #414 of 4,743

SQ:

very_evil_smiley.gif

lol you got them. for how much? hope you got good discount like flipkart. Also how much will BCL cost?

besides did you ask till what time they allow audition?

liked your impressions.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #415 of 4,743
^. Talking about impressions on the 800, did you guys/gals read the "reviews" about the 800 on flipkart. There are like 150 odd reviews and only two certified buyers (including me). The rest read like novels, sob stories. Guess there must be no moderator on flipkart 
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #416 of 4,743

Thank you! I tried :)
Glad to be part of the HD800 Club..!

+1. I am glad that the wait was worth it. I concur with your impressions as well except that the amp is different on my case. I don't even know if there is one amp that will drive the 800 and the LCD well.
Unfortunately I have not heard of the Lehmann amp so time to check it out. I thought Senn used their in house amp the HDVD800.
Finally, Simran, how about that wallet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh yes, the HD800s did surprise me pleasantly.
It's nice to know to know that my impressions are not completely inaccurate!

I have been in talks with a few other Head-fi'ers as well, who own or have owned/auditioned both the LCD2 and HD800, and they too are of the same opinion that no single amp is well suited to both these headphones.
I am also contemplating buying the Centrance Dacmini CX, specifically for the LCD2..

About the Lehmann BCL amp -- Yeah, I have read it in a review at Headfonia as well, where it was mentioned that Sennheiser does use this amp for letting people audition the HD800.
If possible, see if you are able to audition it as well.

Ohh please... don't even talk about the wallet!! This hobby has surely taken a toll on my savings, and my other hobbies have suffered too...I sincerely hope the HD800 and LCD2 will keep me satisfied for some time now, before I start poking my head out the window again :wink:
Wait. I still have to buy an amp for the LCDs..phew

lol you got them. for how much? hope you got good discount like flipkart. Also how much will BCL cost?

besides did you ask till what time they allow audition?

liked your impressions.

I was able to get them for 70k, courtesy my brother's friend, who arranged for this audition. I tried coaxing him to get me as lower a price, as the flipkart, but he couldn't. To compensate for that, he has agreed to give me an extra pair of earpads, for both HD800 and HD650 :D 
I think the Lehmann BCL will cost around ~40k used (maybe even more). But, since it will serve nicely as a desktop amp for both the HD650 and HD800, I tend to think it will be worth its price.. 

The Sennheiser Office closes around 5pm. But not sure how long the HD800 will be at the Gurgaon office...before it is called for at another location.

Glad that you liked my impressions! Thank you.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #417 of 4,743
  ^. Talking about impressions on the 800, did you guys/gals read the "reviews" about the 800 on flipkart. There are like 150 odd reviews and only two certified buyers (including me). The rest read like novels, sob stories. Guess there must be no moderator on flipkart 
biggrin.gif

Apparently it's considered "cool" to write sarcastic reviews. There were about 5-10 reviews when pictures and links of the headphones were circulating and then the whole thing just blew up. I guess flipkart doesn't care and maybe that's why they have a "certified buyer" thingy so that actually reviews can be filtered.

And Indians are famous for having too much "masala" 

:wink:

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #418 of 4,743

Thank you! I tried :)
Glad to be part of the HD800 Club..!

Oh yes, the HD800s did surprise me pleasantly.
It's nice to know to know that my impressions are not completely inaccurate!

I have been in talks with a few other Head-fi'ers as well, who own or have owned/auditioned both the LCD2 and HD800, and they too are of the same opinion that no single amp is well suited to both these headphones.
I am also contemplating buying the Centrance Dacmini CX, specifically for the LCD2..

About the Lehmann BCL amp -- Yeah, I have read it in a review at Headfonia as well, where it was mentioned that Sennheiser does use this amp for letting people audition the HD800.
If possible, see if you are able to audition it as well.

Ohh please... don't even talk about the wallet!! This hobby has surely taken a toll on my savings, and my other hobbies have suffered too...I sincerely hope the HD800 and LCD2 will keep me satisfied for some time now, before I start poking my head out the window again :wink:

I was able to get them for 70k, courtesy my brother's friend, who arranged for this audition. I tried coaxing him to get me as lower a price, as the flipkart, but he couldn't. To compensate for that, he has agreed to give me an extra pair of earpads, for both HD800 and HD650 :D 
I think the Lehmann BCL will cost around ~40k used (maybe even more). But, since it will serve nicely as a desktop amp for both the HD650 and HD800, I tend to think it will be worth its price.. 

The Sennheiser Office closes around 5pm. But not sure how long the HD800 will be at the Gurgaon office...before it is called for at another location.

Glad that you liked my impressions! Thank you.

if you want an amp for both and are going solid state for hd800, why don't you do some research over Vioelectric V200. I am reading some good things about it, versatile and all.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #419 of 4,743

The unfortunate truth is that I have not come across a single amp that will serve both HPs well. That's why I decided to get the Zana Deux exclusively for the 800. With the LCD in general, the Lyr, Burson Soloist, the Mojo all work well. The Lyr with the 2.2 is really good. I have heard of amps like the Bakoon, the Auralic Taurus being good for both phones but those cost a packet.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #420 of 4,743
Hi All,

I have been an audio-enthusiast from the past 4 years and an informed one from the past 3 
wink.gif
. My collections and auditions are not many but just to list a few 
biggrin.gif

NOW
sony mdr XB-500(EQ'd)
beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
sony mdr SA-5000 (Recabled with 7N OCC)
rockit sounds R-50(reshelled) w/ Shure SE-535 MMCX terminated cables

THEN
akg K-311 milk
sennheiser HD 202
bose OE
sennheiser HD 201
shure SE-535(cl) with 6N OFHC SPC cable
hifiman RE-272(auditioned, bought and now sent back)
greenhouse GH-ERC-DMS(replaced under warranty) - reshelled but stolen

SOLD/GIFTED:
philips SHL-8800(sock modded)
sony MH1c
sennheiser PX-80

AUDITIONS
Wachara Chin's Orpheus Clone(poisoned by it so much that now all dynamic cans sound inherently distorted)
Wachara Chin's SR-Omega Clone
sennheiser hd-25 I-ii
brainwavz R1
sony mdr EX-60 LP
technics/panasonic RP-HTF 600
shure SRH-940
shure SRH-840
audio technica ATH-M50
beyerdynamic DTX-900
panasonic RP-HTF 7
bose AE-2
jbl tempo