Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #137 of 4,743
  I had one delivered on Monday. Customs will charge anywhere up to 30% as duty, cess, cess on cess etc etc.

Edit: I live in Chennai.

yes,its also mentioned 30% on the website

the only safe options are dealers from hong kong like mp4nation or from singapore like lendmeurears.
these guys downgrade the bill so no chance of customs

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #138 of 4,743

yes,its also mentioned 30% on the website

the only safe options are dealers from hong kong like mp4nation or from singapore like lendmeurears.
these guys downgrade the bill so no chance of customs

I'd be careful with that statement. I had the Audez'e LCD-XC delivered 3 weeks ago. The invoice said $1500. The actual price is $1,799. Customs held it up for 10 days until the actual invoice was produced. So be very careful these days.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #139 of 4,743
  I'd be careful with that statement. I had the Audez'e LCD-XC delivered 3 weeks ago. The invoice said $1500. The actual price is $1,799. Customs held it up for 10 days until the actual invoice was produced. So be very careful these days.

above 100-200$ customs officials will open the box most of the times.

mp4 nation mentions for instance the fiio x3 as 20$ product so it dosen't even come under the scanner.but yes once in a while u can be unlucky.

but for orders above 200$ or so,,,,u cannot escape customs,atleast not as frequently

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #140 of 4,743

but for orders above 200$ or so,,,,u cannot escape customs,atleast not as frequently

Very true. I got away without paying ANY duty for my LCD 2.2 and the Burson Soloist so go figure. In my experience, if something is sent via USPS and then regular Indian post, you can get lucky. If it comes via DHL/Fedex, may not be that lucky. YMMV.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #142 of 4,743
  Very true. I got away without paying ANY duty for my LCD 2.2 and the Burson Soloist so go figure. In my experience, if something is sent via USPS and then regular Indian post, you can get lucky. If it comes via DHL/Fedex, may not be that lucky. YMMV.

mp4nation comes via fedex only.

its just that sometimes the lazy customs fellow may get curious and then u are gone.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #144 of 4,743
if u get something as a gift below rs 10,000 u don't have to pay anything.

It's still left to the discretion of the custom official. I have been charged once for an item marked as gift. While the actual value was very less, the box size was bigger :)

I agree with @kothganesh. I have been charged duty on ordinary airmail only 3 times in the last 4 years, but 80-90% of the time when it's through DHL / FedEx. But the thing is all the five parcels I lost were through Airmail.

It's good to see this thread revived. It had been dormant for so... long!

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #145 of 4,743
@esanthosh: I just checked your profile and I think you're on track to eventually own 1 IEM for every day in the year ! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #148 of 4,743
@kothganesh and others using speaker tap with HE-500, is it really better than other headphone amp? I'm planning to get HD800 soon. Any thought on this?

IMO, my foray into speaker amps is only just starting. I was planning to use the Emotiva mini X  for my HE-4 since it need a lot of power (like the HE-6). As a corollary therefore, any good headphone amp like the GSX-mk2, the Mjolnir (that I own), the Japanese-made Bakoon amp etc will be equally good with the HE-500. The planars in general respond very well to more power so speaker amps should drive them well. Head-fiers seem to like vintage Pioneer, Kenwood and Sansui amps.

I have not heard the HD 800. From what I hear, its a detail freak. For my kind of music, I don't need that detail. People have complained about its treble though. Sorry I cannot help you there. But it also depends on the type of SQ you want in a headphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back