Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,291 of 4,743
  Apparently, Signature Acoustics have designed a new IEM.

http://www.proaudiohome.com/SIGNATURE-ACOUSTICS-O16-Live

I recently lost both my Pistons (was drunk)  and thinking if I should give these a try.

I was thinking to try that, but again don't want to spend my money on something I don't really know about. Plus, they are open ends and I used my earphones mostly during my commute. 

If you happen to buy this please let us know the impressions.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,292 of 4,743

Quote:
  I see a X3 for 9500 on techenclave
https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/fiio-x3.170303/#post-1996113

The seller in TE for the X3 is a member here in H-fi by the name of Jaredbasshead

Thanks pals, now my main question is - whether the X3 is a significant jump over the iPod Classic (and my Cowon C2) in terms of SQ so that I sacrifice good battery life which I've become used to (close to 4-5 days of normal use between charges), or whether I should hold back and get another amp like the E12, or whether I'm better off going for an all conquering DAP (within a reasonable budget of course) like the X5?  

I'm mainly after clarity, tightness and extension, especially in the bass region.
Thanks again, cheers

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #1,293 of 4,743
quote name="vaibhavp" url="/t/428935/roll-call-indians-staying-in-india-interested-in-high-end-headphones-iems/1275#post_11099182"]

hd700 must be awesome.

don't go by the hype.

its possibly better than both.
[/quote
Vaibhav, have you listened to the 700? And done a comparison with the 600,650 and 800? I have don't these. IME, the 700 is the odd one out. 600 is an 800 without that level of retrieval and soundstage. 650 is the warmer HP. Lord knows what Senn was thinking when they created the 700. Not at all a good bang for buck HP.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #1,294 of 4,743

Thanks pals, now my main question is - whether the X3 is a significant jump over the iPod Classic (and my Cowon C2) in terms of SQ so that I sacrifice good battery life which I've become used to (close to 4-5 days of normal use between charges), or whether I should hold back and get another amp like the E12, or whether I'm better off going for an all conquering DAP (within a reasonable budget of course) like the X5?  

I'm mainly after clarity, tightness and extension, especially in the bass region.
Thanks again, cheers

while I have not heard any of stuff you mentioned, generally speaking, desktop gear > portable dac / amp > daps for same price range. also it looks like you are after solid state type of sound, ie dry monitoring like.

if semi portable is valid option, i suggest you look into fostex hp a4 for that type of sound in this price range. its usb powered, so a laptop and fostex will do.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,295 of 4,743
quote name="vaibhavp" url="/t/428935/roll-call-indians-staying-in-india-interested-in-high-end-headphones-iems/1275#post_11099182"]

hd700 must be awesome.

don't go by the hype.

its possibly better than both.
[/quote
Vaibhav, have you listened to the 700? And done a comparison with the 600,650 and 800? I have don't these. IME, the 700 is the odd one out. 600 is an 800 without that level of retrieval and soundstage. 650 is the warmer HP. Lord knows what Senn was thinking when they created the 700. Not at all a good bang for buck HP.

i have not heard 700. but it usually gets lot of flake generally.

if you have criticism, you should put it forward.

it has gone down in price and street price is much more acceptable now.

also it is considered sibilant. so is akg k550. lets talk about k550 a bit.

i personally find its treble to be perfect. its so delicate and refined, completely devoid of any grain. it has converted me from treble hater (I had an audio technica) to treble lover. what do you make out of it?

i think everyone hears differently (especially treble), so maybe its sibilent for you, but will not be case for everyone. also a tube amp will take the edge off.     

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,296 of 4,743

while I have not heard any of stuff you mentioned, generally speaking, desktop gear > portable dac / amp > daps for same price range. also it looks like you are after solid state type of sound, ie dry monitoring like.

if semi portable is valid option, i suggest you look into fostex hp a4 for that type of sound in this price range. its usb powered, so a laptop and fostex will do.

Thanks for your suggestions Vaibhav, but I'm mainly going for a portable setup, a USB DAC being only considered as a bonus feature. As for sound preferences, I wouldn't call my preferred sound as dry/ monitoring like; I rather prefer a little warmth and lushness, slightly forward mid-range, but with good bass extension and clarity.  And I don't have any experience with extreme treble extension, probably because I don't listen to classical/ jazz that much, so can't comment on that yet. 

Don't know about the Fostex HP A4, will google it. But in any case, I wouldn't want to carry a laptop around, not in the immediate future anyway. So fully portable (DAP) or portable DACs/ amps are the way ahead for me currently. Will look to build a desktop setup sometime in the future hopefully.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,297 of 4,743

i have not heard 700. but it usually gets lot of flake generally.

if you have criticism, you should put it forward.

it has gone down in price and street price is much more acceptable now.

also it is considered sibilant. so is akg k550. lets talk about k550 a bit.

i personally find its treble to be perfect. its so delicate and refined, completely devoid of any grain. it has converted me from treble hater (I had an audio technica) to treble lover. what do you make out of it?

i think everyone hears differently (especially treble), so maybe its sibilent for you, but will not be case for everyone. also a tube amp will take the edge off.     

Vaibhav,

I've already told you what I think of the 700. If it is critical, so be it. A price reduction does not make it better sounding. I am in no position to talk about the akg k550 as I have not listened to it. Just as you are in no position yet to talk about the 700. 

Sibilance is the least of the problems with the 700. The mids are recessed and the overall sound is not very coherent in comparison with the 600 and/or 800 the way I hear it.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,298 of 4,743

Thanks for your suggestions Vaibhav, but I'm mainly going for a portable setup, a USB DAC being only considered as a bonus feature. As for sound preferences, I wouldn't call my preferred sound as dry/ monitoring like; I rather prefer a little warmth and lushness, slightly forward mid-range, but with good bass extension and clarity.  And I don't have any experience with extreme treble extension, probably because I don't listen to classical/ jazz that much, so can't comment on that yet. 

Don't know about the Fostex HP A4, will google it. But in any case, I wouldn't want to carry a laptop around, not in the immediate future anyway. So fully portable (DAP) or portable DACs/ amps are the way ahead for me currently. Will look to build a desktop setup sometime in the future hopefully.

if you have a source, i suggest amp for best sound.  dap if convenience is priority. x5 looks good and is reportedly warm sounding. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,299 of 4,743

Vaibhav,

I've already told you what I think of the 700. If it is critical, so be it. A price reduction does not make it better sounding. I am in no position to talk about the akg k550 as I have not listened to it. Just as you are in no position yet to talk about the 700. 

Sibilance is the least of the problems with the 700. The mids are recessed and the overall sound is not very coherent in comparison with the 600 and/or 800 the way I hear it.

interesting. i was expecting hd700 to be quiet good based on impressions of people I trust. looks like an audition is in order to settle it.
smile.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,300 of 4,743

Thanks again, cheers

If its bass youre looking for theres also the ibasso dx90 has very good reviews as well. The problem we have here in India is we never get to try these amps/daps before buying them. As far as clarity and tightness of bass is concerned my new matrix mstage which I recently got is pretty good at it. I am relatively new to this so I still dont quite understand how to figure out bass extension. An explanation would be helpful, is it just how far the beat or note extends?

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #1,301 of 4,743
  If its bass youre looking for theres also the ibasso dx90 has very good reviews as well. The problem we have here in India is we never get to try these amps/daps before buying them. As far as clarity and tightness of bass is concerned my new matrix mstage which I recently got is pretty good at it. I am relatively new to this so I still dont quite understand how to figure out bass extension. An explanation would be helpful, is it just how far the beat or note extends?

bass extension is lowest of low frequencies. which hps are you using?

i believe it adds visceral feel to bass.

mid bass generally refers to impact or slam.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,302 of 4,743

bass extension is lowest of low frequencies. which hps are you using?

i believe it adds visceral feel to bass.

mid bass generally refers to impact or slam.

Vaibhav is quite right in defining bass extension; i.e. how far down one can hear the bass lines/ notes (if they were present in the recording in the first place). A simple comparison to a lowly headphone and a fairly good sounding headphone with a track having significant detail and deep bass notes would help you easily note that the deepest notes heard through the better hp cannot be heard at all through the cheaper model. Normally the specs (Frequency Response) of the hp are a starting point towards how deep the bass/ treble would extend. For example my HD558 has specs listed as 15 Hz-28 kHz, which when compared to my Denon 340's (7Hz - 37 kHz) point toward the Denons having more extension, both in the bass and treble, which in practical usage I find to be true. Deepest bass notes can be heard louder, better and clearer through my D340's compared to the HD558's. Same should be true for highest treble notes/ sounds.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #1,303 of 4,743

Vaibhav is quite right in defining bass extension; i.e. how far down one can hear the bass lines/ notes (if they were present in the recording in the first place). A simple comparison to a lowly headphone and a fairly good sounding headphone with a track having significant detail and deep bass notes would help you easily note that the deepest notes heard through the better hp cannot be heard at all through the cheaper model. Normally the specs (Frequency Response) of the hp are a starting point towards how deep the bass/ treble would extend. For example my HD558 has specs listed as 15 Hz-28 kHz, which when compared to my Denon 340's (7Hz - 37 kHz) point toward the Denons having more extension, both in the bass and treble, which in practical usage I find to be true. Deepest bass notes can be heard louder, better and clearer through my D340's compared to the HD558's. Same should be true for highest treble notes/ sounds.

All of this extension has, of course, a limit, and that is our hearing. Not just the limits of our hearing range, but all the physical conditions of our hearing environment (eg. ambient noise) all added together determine how much detail we can actually retrieve/ perceive, regardless of what the specs might say. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,304 of 4,743

This is not generally true. Higher numbers often don't indicate better extension. You should rather assess their FR graphs to understand their roll-offs and peaks.

Astrotec LYRA - first hybrid earbud going on sale in amazon for $99.00!!! Dual BA+ 15mm DD

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,305 of 4,743
This is not generally true. Higher numbers often don't indicate better extension. You should rather assess their FR graphs to understand their roll-offs and peaks.

Astrotec LYRA - first hybrid earbud going on sale in amazon for $99.00!!! Dual BA+ 15mm DD

Thanks, noted. But don't the specs at least give an indication of what to expect in terms of lower and higher extreme frequencies, or rather their ability to reproduce those frequencies? Do correct me if I'm completely wrong. I am stating all this based on my listening alone, nothing else. What are generally the lowest frequencies in a regular bass line of, say, a Dire Straits track from Love Over Gold (One of my favorite albums)? I mean to what frequencies do the low notes go down to? I'm asking very generally of course.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back