Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #601 of 4,743
Yes a tube buffer for whatever, SS or tube amp. Although SS would make more sense. It does have volume control.
About end game, I don't know. One would have thought Audez'e was end game but I didn't stop there. YMMV of course

right now am planning to make shure srh 1840 with a competent $500 SS like fostex hp a4 or a dap like ibasso dx90 as end game.

this much I can reasonably spend and wont go far enough into diminishing returns territory.

a cheap tube amp as side setup would be nice, down the road.

have not heard audeze. I have heard they make very good first impression. but in long run people tend to sell them. of course take this as pinch of salt as this is not personal experience.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #602 of 4,743
right now am planning to make shure srh 1840 with a competent $500 SS like fostex hp a4 or a dap like ibasso dx90 as end game.

this much I can reasonably spend and wont go far enough into diminishing returns territory.

have not heard audeze. I have heard they make very good first impression. but in long run people tend to sell them. of course take this as pinch of salt as this is not personal experience.

On the Audez'e let me give you my experience. I owned 3 of them at one point in time. I first sold the LCD 2 not because I disliked it but I have too many HPs. Two days ago I traded the LCD 3 for the Stax 009. In this case, it was prompted to test the hoopla surrounding the 009. The LCD 3 just helped me halve the bill. Truth be told, the 3 did not do it for me and I thought the 2 was more suited to my taste. The only Audez'e HP I have now is the XC. I wouldn't mind getting the 2 back.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #603 of 4,743
On the Audez'e let me give you my experience. I owned 3 of them at one point in time. I first sold the LCD 2 not because I disliked it but I have too many HPs. Two days ago I traded the LCD 3 for the Stax 009. In this case, it was prompted to test the hoopla surrounding the 009. The LCD 3 just helped me halve the bill. Truth be told, the 3 did not do it for me and I thought the 2 was more suited to my taste. The only Audez'e HP I have now is the XC. I wouldn't mind getting the 2 back.

interesting.

so much variety (dynamics, stats, planars then tubes, ss etc) is bad for wallet.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #604 of 4,743

interesting.

so much variety (dynamics, stats, planars then tubes, ss etc) is bad for wallet.

and the marriage !
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #606 of 4,743
Following up on my earlier post, I can relate with ayaflo's statement about changing likes. Two years ago, I swore that the sound created by Beats headphones (had the Pro version) was the best and that is the exact sound I wanted to hear. After careful listening to other headphones, its now a choice between the HD 800 and the Stax electrostats as a primary go-to with the HE 6 for "fun' listening. In other words, a relatively neutral HP with more detail and soundstage is what I am after, not to mention points 1&2 that Vaibhav mentioned. All IMO of course.

Why don't you make an E-stat headphone driver and then buy an srd adapter/charger from stax or used? This is probably the most rewarding of any route you plan to undertake!! Though it looks hard it is not all that tough!! Single sided PCBs cut with CNC machines with and 0.5 mm PCB spacer and a tensioned mylar film rubbed with a floor cleaner or PC cleaning anti-static gel.. Paint the stators with non-whitr acrylic.
Do try coz its just levels above in satisfaction and you will be amazed by the sound quality you get from your try!

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #607 of 4,743
Why don't you make an E-stat headphone driver and then buy an srd adapter/charger from stax or used? This is probably the most rewarding of any route you plan to undertake!! Though it looks hard it is not all that tough!! Single sided PCBs cut with CNC machines with and 0.5 mm PCB spacer and a tensioned mylar film rubbed with a floor cleaner or PC cleaning anti-static gel.. Paint the stators with non-whitr acrylic.
Do try coz its just levels above in satisfaction and you will be amazed by the sound quality you get from your try!

You know? I might just do that. I am not that good with my hands but I have a friend who helps me with DIY. He should help in this matter. Can I use this with the Stax amps? I have two of 'em, the Stax 717 and the KGSShv(this is not Stax)

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #609 of 4,743
You know? I might just do that. I am not that good with my hands but I have a friend who helps me with DIY. He should help in this matter. Can I use this with the Stax amps? I have two of 'em, the Stax 717 and the KGSShv(this is not Stax)

I have heard a KGSSHV..for compatibility read about pro-bias and normal bias
I am.not aware of sr 717 biasing structure to comment on it

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #610 of 4,743
009 huh ?
That is just incredible , enjoy sir !

You can make a headphone close to the sr009 in response with the PCB method I have detailed above.

You can check DIY e-stat headphones by Wachara Chin at inner fidelity that measure as good or slightly better and cost less than $500 to make!!

Cheers,
~A

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #612 of 4,743
You can make a headphone close to the sr009 in response with the PCB method I have detailed above.

You can check DIY e-stat headphones by Wachara Chin at inner fidelity that measure as good or slightly better and cost less than $500 to make!!

Cheers,
~A

I reached out to Wachara last night. He does not have like an instruction list or anything but advised me to read this:

http://headwize.com/?page_id=729

If you have anything simpler, would appreciate you sharing with us.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #614 of 4,743
  I reached out to Wachara last night. He does not have like an instruction list or anything but advised me to read this:

http://headwize.com/?page_id=729

If you have anything simpler, would appreciate you sharing with us.

Thanks

its engineering.

you have to find solutions to problems, but first you have to identify what problem is.

I must say engineers in these big corporations are very experienced. that's why still advancements are being made. otherwise perfection was achieved in last set of flagships itself (the holy trinity
k701smile.gif
)

if somebody can make hd800 level of headphones, I respect his knowledge and he clearly knows as much as engineers in big firms. If you can find such person to make a hp for you then you should expect good results.

otherwise its mostly hit and trial, seeing what works and what does not. you may stumble on good materials and baffle design early on but only if you are lucky.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #615 of 4,743
its engineering.

you have to find solutions to problems, but first you have to identify what problem is.

I must say engineers in these big corporations are very experienced. that's why still advancements are being made. otherwise perfection was achieved in last set of flagships itself (the holy trinity:k701smile: )

if somebody can make hd800 level of headphones, I respect his knowledge and he clearly knows as much as engineers in big firms. If you can find such person to make a hp for you then you should expect good results.

otherwise its mostly hit and trial, seeing what works and what does not. you may stumble on good materials and baffle design early on but only if you are lucky.

I didn't understand the head and tail of what you just wrote..
Wachara doesn't measure his builds from what I know. innerfidelity measured his headphones for the first time and praised them comparing them to the sr009. he uses his ear to get where he is and the going is pretty darn good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back