Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #2,026 of 4,743
Whoa whoa, why so much hate for the old X3 folks? It isn't that bad as you're all making it out to be, I must say.  
I haven't had a single freeze or bug encounter till now, although sound-wise I admit it isn't the ultimate portable experience one can have. But for a stand alone DAP around 12-14k INR, it does deserve a little more appreciation fellas.

I have no gripes with the sound quality and absolutely adore the Line Out. But there are quite a few noticeable bugs mostly UI related. Sure the current versions of the firmware are very stable. Infact a million times more stable than FW2.1 which shipped with my unit when I bought it and froze like every 10-15 minutes or so. Sadly basic stuff like tag information, album art, file browser, etc. still need fixing.

Even the hardware wise new x3 wipes floor with older one,at least on paper.Not to mention to play native dsd /dsf files without conversion to pcm which even x5 cannot do.

Native DSD decoding is a plus but then DSD is a bit of a rarity.

Not exactly with the X3 II in tow. With better sound and DAC.

Wolfson fanboys might still prefer the WM8740 over the CS4398
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,027 of 4,743
  I have no gripes with the sound quality and absolutely adore the Line Out. But there are quite a few noticeable bugs mostly UI related. Sure the current versions of the firmware are very stable. Infact a million times more stable than FW2.1 which shipped with my unit when I bought it and froze like every 10-15 minutes or so. Sadly basic stuff like tag information, album art, file browser, etc. still need fixing.

Native DSD decoding is a plus but then DSD is a bit of a rarity.

biggrin.gif

Newer one has two crystal oscillators for lower jitter
Better body resembling x1 and x5
Much superior ui
dsd/dsf ability(whether u will ever use is another issue,lol)

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,028 of 4,743
I'm sure the X3 2nd Gen will be way better than the 1st Gen, and also the DAC implementation should be better. Build quality is superior and also better looking,IMO.

If a chance for an audition is possible, it should be taken no questions asked. Here's hoping that the next gen X5 would be my next target DAP, if and when it comes about.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2,029 of 4,743
  Much superior ui

Certainly. The old one's was rather confusing although the user mods/themes have eased the situation.

I'm sure the X3 2nd Gen will be way better than the 1st Gen, and also the DAC implementation should be better. Build quality is superior and also better looking,IMO.

If a chance for an audition is possible, it should be taken no questions asked. Here's hoping that the next gen X5 would be my next target DAP, if and when it comes about.

Hope so. The build quality of the old is also pretty good. But I like the new gunmetal finish of the 2nd gen. Matches with the E12A
wink.gif
I'm also saving up for the next gen X5.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #2,030 of 4,743
Any fans of Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles on here?

I'm on a nightmarish quest to find the best recordings I can for these bands.

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2,031 of 4,743

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.

You can find the dynamic range of different releases at http://dr.loudness-war.info

Mar 24, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2,032 of 4,743

Me, me! I have 320s for all of them. Had some FLACs as well but I didn't notice any difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC files. Maybe my hardware isn't up to a scale to go into intricate details.

There is another issue of old recording though. They won't reach to a level that recent years technologies manage. Best old recording I've ever heard has to be Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman'. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #2,033 of 4,743

That's my bread and butter. I am slowly replacing all of my recoredings. For Led Zep and the Who I have got some 24/96 AIFFs from HDtracks... I've got CD rips for the Beatles. What is this remastered Beatles USB and where do you think I can get it (willing to pay of course).

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2,034 of 4,743

biggrin.gif

& in that case, the D-zero MK2( a DAC/Amp) has one WM8740 for each channel. That is something for the price.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,035 of 4,743

& in that case, the D-zero MK2( a DAC/Amp) has one WM8740 for each channel. That is something for the price.

Pricewise, its looks like a very good deal. It also kinda reminds me of their DX90. Dual ES9018 at an unmatched price.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,036 of 4,743

You can find the dynamic range of different releases at http://dr.loudness-war.info

Thanks, will take a look at the site over the weekend. Swamped at work at the moment :frowning2:

Me, me! I have 320s for all of them. Had some FLACs as well but I didn't notice any difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC files. Maybe my hardware isn't up to a scale to go into intricate details.

There is another issue of old recording though. They won't reach to a level that recent years technologies manage. Best old recording I've ever heard has to be Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman'. 

That's what I'm worried about too. Spending money on something that's not really better. 

That's my bread and butter. I am slowly replacing all of my recoredings. For Led Zep and the Who I have got some 24/96 AIFFs from HDtracks... I've got CD rips for the Beatles. What is this remastered Beatles USB and where do you think I can get it (willing to pay of course).

I'm trying to do the same thing. I'm quite pleased with my Beatles and Zeppelin stuff. Would really like to buy some of The Who albums next.

The green apple shaped USB stick was a limited edition release in 2009. Its DRM free MP3 (320 kbps) and FLAC ([COLOR=333333]44.1khz), all in stereo, no mono[/COLOR] unfortunately[COLOR=333333]. It's still available on Amazon (US and UK) and eBay for anywhere between 200 to 300 USD.[/COLOR]

Mar 26, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,037 of 4,743
Further listening sessions with the Titan 1, I actually find many similarities with the JVC HA-FXT-90. Both of them have a very similar signature, but the FXT-90 do vocals more justice and more obvious spitting of details in treble.

They are going for $73 in Amazon that makes it a better deal than the Titan 1s to be honest.

If anyone is thinking of getting the Titan 1 but they fall just out of your budget, the FXT-90 is a better choice.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2,038 of 4,743
  Further listening sessions with the Titan 1, I actually find many similarities with the JVC HA-FXT-90. Both of them have a very similar signature, but the FXT-90 do vocals more justice and more obvious spitting of details in treble.

They are going for $73 in Amazon that makes it a better deal than the Titan 1s to be honest.

If anyone is thinking of getting the Titan 1 but they fall just out of your budget, the FXT-90 is a better choice.

VSD5 will serve better.

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,039 of 4,743
OK posting after a long time. Anyone have any experience carrying an headphone amplifier on a flight. I mean a desktop HP amp not portable. (Schiit Vali to be precise)

Am moving to Mumbai in 2 weeks.

OT: if I last 1 month in Mumbai, I will have lived 1 month at least in all 5 big metropolitans of India within the last one year. :p

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,040 of 4,743
OK posting after a long time. Anyone have any experience carrying an headphone amplifier on a flight. I mean a desktop HP amp not portable. (Schiit Vali to be precise)

Am moving to Mumbai in 2 weeks.

OT: if I last 1 month in Mumbai, I will have lived 1 month at least in all 5 big metropolitans of India within the last one year.
tongue.gif

Welcome to Mumbai : D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back