Role of a DAC. Pairing with DT48E
Jun 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

duke11235

New Head-Fier
I have a Beyerdynamic DT48E and enjoy it, but I use my Macbook as a source and was wondering if a DAC would eliminate the slight white noise I hear by using the digital out and converting the sound to analog beter. Also, I was considering the iBasso D10, and was wondering how it would pair with my headphones.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Im ironically also looking for a dac to pair with my DT48 and macbook. Yes, I belive the noises will be eliminated with an external sound source, such as a dac or soundcard. The macbook headphone jack is a line out and optical combo jack which is why it makes funny noises. To get the best sound possible from your mac, change the sample rate. To do this, go to finder, click on applications, then utilities folder, then open Audio MIDI. Change the sample rate by clicking format and select 96khz and select 24 bit.

I would not recommend using a portable amp or dac with the dt48. The more power the better when it comes to full size headphones.  

Also if you dont have an amp, get one first before a dac.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, how are you converting the signal to analogue now?

It also depends a bit on which DT48 you have.  Some DAC/Amps are designed for high impedance phones, which will probably not get along with the 5 or 25 ohm DT48s.  If you have the 200 ohms, it will change your ideal amping situation.

If it's just a question of converting your music files over to an existing headphone amp, I'd say that most DACs seem to do a reasonably decent job unless you have a pristine collection of well-mastered music and an excellent amp.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 6
I didn't know about the settings, and changed them. Might be less hiss than before.  Right know I am using my soundcard and a cmoybb. Yes, I know its not a great setup. I was kinda hoping I could knock both the dac and amp out with the iBasso D10.  Any other amp/dac combos  for less than 300? Can anyone compare the zero amp/dac with the iBasso D10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back