Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Sep 2, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #618 of 718
Hi, has anyone paired the RH-5 with the Holo May KTE DAC? Do you think the RH-5 is able to drive the Holo May without any issues? Are the 2 units a good match? Thanks, James
I just added a pair of LCD-4s to my stable, on high gain the RH-5 drives them just fine. The sound I would say is incredible. Bass is tight the mids are so real and the highs are just right.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #620 of 718
Interestingly I just came across these Sylvania 5814 tubes and their construction looks identical to the Ken-Rads you like. What do you think? https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5814-sylvania-vintage-square-getter-nos-valve-tube/
5814-SYLVANIA-YELLOW-BACK-800x800.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #622 of 718
Interestingly I just came across these Sylvania 5814 tubes and their construction looks identical to the Ken-Rads you like. What do you think? https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5814-sylvania-vintage-square-getter-nos-valve-tube/
5814-SYLVANIA-YELLOW-BACK-800x800.jpg
Wow. They sure do look the same. I have only taken the Ken-Rad 5814’s out once since I put them and it was very brief and went right back to them. I also run the same tube in my Pendant SE. I swap out in the Pendant because it’s easy, but always end up back with K-Rad. I would give the Sylvania version a try.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #623 of 718
Glad I am not the only one who thought they looked the same. I wonder who actually made them... Although, for £16 each it is not much of a gamble if they are naff. Wish me luck! 😅

I also saw these Sylvania tubes which have construct I have never seen before. They have a third mica connected with a single long getter post. Normally the third mica is only just above the second connected with 2 plates.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5814a-jan-sylvania-nos-valve-tube-lc39/
5814A-1-800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #625 of 718
All this RH-5 talk has got me wanting to get my RH-5 back into rotation. It should play well with the new ZMF Caldera and that's definitely on my my wishlist from Santa this year.
I use mine with my Blackwood VC. They sound better with the RH-5 than with the Pendant. The Atrium are the opposite. They love the Pendant and sound good with the RH-5. My previous camphor burl VC sounded great with the Pendant, not the case with the Blackwood. I'm not really loving the Blackwood VC. I miss my camphor burl, never should have sold them. The Caldera is several hundred more $. I can't swing it. Maybe a used set in the future.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #626 of 718
All this RH-5 talk has got me wanting to get my RH-5 back into rotation. It should play well with the new ZMF Caldera and that's definitely on my my wishlist from Santa this year.
ZMF Caldera + pair Telefunken G-73R (!) should ‘yule the tide’…🎅🤣

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #627 of 718
ZMF Caldera + pair Telefunken G-73R (!) should ‘yule the tide’…🎅🤣
I like the way you think! The Telefunken G-73R's would probably be insane in the RH-5.

The RH-5 was originally tuned and developed with Abyss headphones in mind. Though the play well with dynamics as well due to the gain levels I can't help but think it should also play very well with the new Caldera. That's the beautiful thing with a hybrid you have that grip and control of a soild-state with enough tube flavor to give it some soul. Yeah, Santa are you listening?! 🎅

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #628 of 718
Nov 2, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #630 of 718
I thought I'd share some impressions as a long time owner of an RH-5, which I think pairs perfectly with the HD800S. It has a certain Rogue sound that I also hear in the M180 monoblocks, which is a very big, resolved 3d stage with beautifully rendered, layered, tactile images throughout. Very slightly warm and (to me) sounds clearly more tube than solid state, but with good resolution extending well into the lower frequencies, revealing the real sound and texture of bass instruments. As a musician I really appreciate that it strikes the rare balance of being very technical, but also very easy and engaging to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back