Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #241 of 718
@Musikfan also there is a cut out for ventilation on the right side of the top where there tubes are, and I would not cover that up for sure. I have my DAC and Streamer on a vented stand about 3" above my RH-5 and I have had zero issues. The DAC and Streamer both have taller feet than it looks like, and there is plenty of ventilation above my RH-5. The RH-5 does not get very hot, and only warm to the touch when on, by the way.

20210612_140128.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #242 of 718
Straight from the RH-5 manual below

INSTALLING THE RH-5 HEADPHONE AMP INTO YOUR SYSTEM
Place the RH-5 on a flat stable surface with at least 1” of airspace above the amplifier for ventilation. Do not place any other electronic components or any other objects on top of the amplifier.
Thanks. I downloaded the manual and didn't notice that. Time for new glasses. I appreciate the response. Have a great weekend. 😀🤪

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #243 of 718
@Musikfan also there is a cut out for ventilation on the right side of the top where there tubes are, and I would not cover that up for sure. I have my DAC and Streamer on a vented stand about 3" above my RH-5 and I have had zero issues. The DAC and Streamer both have taller feet than it looks like, and there is plenty of ventilation above my RH-5. The RH-5 does not get very hot, and only warm to the touch when on, by the way.

20210612_140128.jpg
I like the idea of a stand. Thanks! Enjoy your weekend.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #244 of 718
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #245 of 718
Yeah, I think that's the beautiful thing about the RH-5. It really responds well to high quality tubes. I mean some hybrid amps out there just add tubes in the circuit to satisfy a buyer that may want to dip their toe, so to speak into tubes. Those amps are really soild-state amps that want to show the light glow of tubes as a visual effect.

The RH-5 by design gets it's tone directly from the tubes. The MOSFETS only amplify the signal that's created by the tubes. So it's really a true hybrid design and thus allows the character of the tubes to shine through.

I'm still happy running my Adzam 12AU7-6189, triple micas. But I have no doubt I'll get the bug to roll some NOS tubes again at some point. The Brimars are at the top of my list. Glad to here you're loving your RH-5 and the new Brimars.
Agree they are great.
Gryning out tubes is great fun but also with some surprisers along the path. Right now I’m swapping between Brimar 4034 and Mullard CV491. Running with my Final D8000 (planar magnetic) It’s more about personal taste than anything. In general hifi terms I would say the Brimars are a killer. But,… and that is interesting, the Mullards ”move me” a bit more. Maybe you could call it a greater ”live” feeling with another and closer connection to performances. That’s what makes me smiling more than anything. Could also just be the old truth about finding good matching between components. In my case I lean towards the CV491.
The Brimars on the other hand have a more neutral spectrum, cleaner, more space overall, -yes I could say ”better”.
In my system though I’m ”miss” something along the way….
I have about 40 hours on the them and I’ll let them give their best over time.
(This is so fun)
One thing,- I think the tube swapping can sometimes be quite tricky. Hard to pull them out of sockets. Especially the 4034 sits very tight…
Does anyone have any tips on that I would appreciate that. Wouldn’t like to have something to be ripped of.

Nice thread and good luck everyone with the greatRH-5!

best regards / Jan in Sweden.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #246 of 718
I do not know if I am allowed to say this, but I have one of these units for sale over on the 'Gon. I love this unit but must downsize at this time. Shame really...

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #248 of 718
Sorry if this has been asked before — can the RH-5 convert single ended input (e.g. from the Chord Qutest) into balanced output?

Yes! I also run the Chord Qutest with the RH-5. A very good pairing.

Let me add the Qutest goes in single-ended(RCA) into the RH-5.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #249 of 718
Yes! I also run the Chord Qutest with the RH-5. A very good pairing.

Let me add the Qutest goes in single-ended(RCA) into the RH-5.

Got it, thanks! I am trying to decide between the RH-5 and the GS-X mini from Headamp. I wonder if anyone has compared them directly? I have the HD800S and the ZMF VC headphones.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #250 of 718
Got it, thanks! I am trying to decide between the RH-5 and the GS-X mini from Headamp. I wonder if anyone has compared them directly? I have the HD800S and the ZMF VC headphones.

The RH-5 of course is a hybrid amp. So you really get the best of both tubes and solid-state. The GS-X mini has a strong following. I've never heard it myself. I run a Verite Open with the RH-5 and love it. @Wes S owns a Verite Closed and also runs a RH-5. Because the RH-5 runs tubes you can tailor the sound signature to meet your ideals. Warmer, more linear, clean and fast, airy highs, slamming bass? With so many tube options you can really decide for yourself. The GS-X has one and only one sound signature. But that might be great for you. Again, alot of people love it.

Me, my RH-5 isn't going anywhere. It has the speed and soundstage that my SET amp doesn't have. It's really a fantastic amp that's extremely well-made.

Good luck.

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #251 of 718
The RH-5 of course is a hybrid amp. So you really get the best of both tubes and solid-state. The GS-X mini has a strong following. I've never heard it myself. I run a Verite Open with the RH-5 and love it. @Wes S owns a Verite Closed and also runs a RH-5. Because the RH-5 runs tubes you can tailor the sound signature to meet your ideals. Warmer, more linear, clean and fast, airy highs, slamming bass? With so many tube options you can really decide for yourself. The GS-X has one and only one sound signature. But that might be great for you. Again, alot of people love it.

Me, my RH-5 isn't going anywhere. It has the speed and soundstage that my SET amp doesn't have. It's really a fantastic amp that's extremely well-made.

Good luck.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Is it straightforward to get to the place where the tubes are to switch them out? How much do replacement tubes cost, roughly? I understand of course there is a range.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #252 of 718
The RH-5 of course is a hybrid amp. So you really get the best of both tubes and solid-state.
~ Well designed, well engineered, well produced hybrid h/p/a allow listeners to “really get the best of both tubes and solid-state”. Being a hybrid does not de facto guarantee this outcome.
~ The Rogue RH-5 meets the above criteria by w-i-d-e margins. The intelligent use of MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) allows the particular tubes’ sonic character (always some) to come through unalloyed.
~ The ECC82 / 12AU7 is a wonderful tube “sandbox to play in.” Now the tubes that I have rolled in the Liquid Platinum have another lease on life…👏😆

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #253 of 718
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Is it straightforward to get to the place where the tubes are to switch them out? How much do replacement tubes cost, roughly? I understand of course there is a range.

To change the tubes on the RH-5 isn't too much effort. You'll need a Phillips head screwdriver and a decent size work surface. Think a kitchen table or dining room table. Better yet a work bench if you have it.

You'll take out the 8-10 screws that run the edges of the top of the chassis. You'll remove the top and change your tubes. You'll then work in reverse.

You'll of course do this with the amp mains power cord removed!

The owners manual does a way better job explaining this then I'm doing.

For tubes, most RH-5 owners like NOS(New Old Stock) tubes. Prices can be from about $65.00 for a matched pair to $300,400,500 per pair.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #254 of 718
Thanks for all the really helpful info. Curious how those of you who live in the US acquired the RH-5? I normally buy my equipment from large, mainly East Coast dealers but this seems to be more of a niche product. Does anybody have experience with audioadvisor.com? Or would you recommend another seller?

Also, I finally read this whole thread, and there is a mention of a high pitched noise in a couple of posts at the beginning, but it looks like that was an isolated case?

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #255 of 718
Thanks for all the really helpful info. Curious how those of you who live in the US acquired the RH-5? I normally buy my equipment from large, mainly East Coast dealers but this seems to be more of a niche product. Does anybody have experience with audioadvisor.com? Or would you recommend another seller?

Also, I finally read this whole thread, and there is a mention of a high pitched noise in a couple of posts at the beginning, but it looks like that was an isolated case?
I have bought a number of items* from Audio Advisor. Never a problem and always prompt delivery. They have been in business since 1981; their sound (😆) practices have given them longevity. Consider also that Rogue Audio chose them as a distributor - not a casual decision. [* headphones, cables, amps, interconnects ].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back