Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #256 of 718
Also, I finally read this whole thread, and there is a mention of a high pitched noise in a couple of posts at the beginning, but it looks like that was an isolated case?
If you do purchase / have purchased the RH-5, you should do the following:
~ clean all rca sockets / XLR pins etc with Kontak or isopropyl alcohol;
~ clean the prongs in the IEC power sockets with Kontak or isopropyl alcohol;
~ check the positioning of the tubes in their sockets (should be upright and snug); if you decide to use the ‘stock tubes’, you might take them out / check the cleanliness of the pins / re-install;
~ connect the RH-5 (and the rest of your audio gear) to a circuit / power conditioner separate from that being used for computers, cell phone chargers, wireless routers etc.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #257 of 718
If you do purchase / have purchased the RH-5, you should do the following:
~ clean all rca sockets / XLR pins etc with Kontak or isopropyl alcohol;
~ clean the prongs in the IEC power sockets with Kontak or isopropyl alcohol;
~ check the positioning of the tubes in their sockets (should be upright and snug); if you decide to use the ‘stock tubes’, you might take them out / check the cleanliness of the pins / re-install;
~ connect the RH-5 (and the rest of your audio gear) to a circuit / power conditioner separate from that being used for computers, cell phone chargers, wireless routers etc.

Thanks, great advice!

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #258 of 718
Thanks, great advice!
The separation of audio/non-audio gear by circuits is a “fix” that many listeners could benefit from…

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #259 of 718
Hey fellow RH-5 owners, it's been a while and I am just checking back in for some tube talk. I have some more tubes for my RH-5 out for delivery, the RFT ECC82 Folded Plate, and can't wait to hear them. I have been using the same exact tube in ECC81 with my Pendant and absolutely love it, so I am excited to hear what this tube can do in the RH-5. It will be interesting to see if the RFT can beat my current favorite (Brimar CV491), in terms of sounding more lifelike. I will report back after burn in, but I have a feeling this is gonna be a very special pairing. The really cool thing is that this version of RFT can be found easily and for cheap.

Here is where I bought mine.

https://www.tubemonger.com/Funkwerk_RFT_60s_ECC82_Thin_Dual_GT_SUP_TeslaSTOCK_p/817.htm

Anyone else have or find a good tube roll lately?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #260 of 718
~ Well designed, well engineered, well produced hybrid h/p/a allow listeners to “really get the best of both tubes and solid-state”. Being a hybrid does not de facto guarantee this outcome.
~ The Rogue RH-5 meets the above criteria by w-i-d-e margins. The intelligent use of MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors) allows the particular tubes’ sonic character (always some) to come through unalloyed.
~ The ECC82 / 12AU7 is a wonderful tube “sandbox to play in.” Now the tubes that I have rolled in the Liquid Platinum have another lease on life…👏😆
Nice man! Welcome to the club! I am curious how the RH-5 compares sound wise to the MZ3, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

What's the first tube roll gonna be?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #261 of 718
The RFT's are in the amp, and are sounding freakishly good so far . . .:o2smile:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #262 of 718
Nice man! Welcome to the club! I am curious how the RH-5 compares sound wise to the MZ3, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

What's the first tube roll gonna be?
~ I have some very nice 12AU7s; for example, Brimar CV4003, Lansdale (long-plate), Amperex PQ 7316, Raytheon 7730s, Philips BEL (Bangalore made/Heerlen design)…coming soon, Tungsram ECC82…
~ I certainly will enjoy the RH-5 and must compare it to: Mjolnir/Ksorolnir II and MZ3. (Simply stated, the MZ3 is the apotheosis of what the Mjolnir/Ksorolnir II aims for. Despite being all-tube, the MZ3 with its special ZOTL features has all the acceleration and ‘hairpin’ control of the best in SS. It is my champ.)

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #263 of 718
~ I have some very nice 12AU7s; for example, Brimar CV4003, Lansdale (long-plate), Amperex PQ 7316, Raytheon 7730s, Philips BEL (Bangalore made/Heerlen design)…coming soon, Tungsram ECC82…
~ I certainly will enjoy the RH-5 and must compare it to: Mjolnir/Ksorolnir II and MZ3. (Simply stated, the MZ3 is the apotheosis of what the Mjolnir/Ksorolnir II aims for. Despite being all-tube, the MZ3 with its special ZOTL features has all the acceleration and ‘hairpin’ control of the best in SS. It is my champ.)
Cool! Of the tubes you mentioned, I have tried them all except the Lansdale, and I really like the 7730 (D Getters only) the most for my preferences. I look forward to hearing what works best for you.

Speaking of, "Acceleration and 'hairpin' control of the best SS" , with added tube flavor (stage and harmonics) sure sounds a lot like how I would describe the RH-5 with good tubes in it. So, I really look forward to hearing how it compares to the MZ3.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #264 of 718
Hi, I echo the other comments about the RH-5. It's a terrific amp. I've found it to have an exceptionally low noise floor. It's clean, detailed and musical sounding. The amp throws a nice soundstage, it's good with imaging, has nice smooth treble and very good bass. I've used the Brimar CV 4003 and Brimar CV4034. Of the 2 Brimars, I prefer the CV4034, but both are great tubes with this amp. The Mazda 12AU7 tube also matches well with the RH-5. Give Brent Jessee a call and he can recommend other good 12AU7 tubes as well. Give the tubes about 50 hours of burn in at least. I think Audioadvisor.com is a very reputable dealer and I've ordered from them before. I purchased the RH-5 after speaking with Rogue Audio. They were great to speak with and answered my many questions. They gave me a recommendation of a dealer in NJ that carried their products so I decided to buy from the local dealer. I hope this helps. Take care.

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #265 of 718
With the right partners, a rogue can be domesticated. Tubes in action: Brimar CV4003 (cryo treated). Tubes next (weekend?): Lansdale long-plate 12AU7. Edit: impressions to come…
2C3A450F-EE69-46AC-A8E9-94D14A5A26A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #266 of 718
~ Impressions on RH-5 (with Sennheiser HD-600, Arctic Cables Icon cable, Brimar CV4003 cryogenically treated). Fantastic!
~ Soundstage is immensely w-i-d-e, even by HD-600 standards, and is filled in with full detail existing in the proper space. Ambience and reverberation are pristinely conveyed with totally natural / plausible decay.
~ Also, voices have the right mix of throatiness, chestiness, and projection. Importantly, voices are not ‘disembodied’ from the person.
~ The Oscar Peterson trio is right with me! Oscar Peterson’s dexterity, range, and command of the piano engulfs me. Ray Brown on acoustic bass just works those strings to joy. The basic tone, the overtone, the curling of the strings is beyond evident. The varying dynamics of snare / cymbal brushwork by Ed Thigpen is a marvel and is clearly and fully portrayed by the RH-5.
~ So far, in my view, the RH-5 is in the same sonic neighbourhood as the LTA MZ3. They both share dimensionality, image solidity, tonal balance, absence of classic “tube-ness”, and dynamics. Further comparison will be gleefully done.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #267 of 718
~ Impressions on RH-5 (with Sennheiser HD-600, Arctic Cables Icon cable, Brimar CV4003 cryogenically treated). Fantastic!
~ Soundstage is immensely w-i-d-e, even by HD-600 standards, and is filled in with full detail existing in the proper space. Ambience and reverberation are pristinely conveyed with totally natural / plausible decay.
~ Also, voices have the right mix of throatiness, chestiness, and projection. Importantly, voices are not ‘disembodied’ from the person.
~ The Oscar Peterson trio is right with me! Oscar Peterson’s dexterity, range, and command of the piano engulfs me. Ray Brown on acoustic bass just works those strings to joy. The basic tone, the overtone, the curling of the strings is beyond evident. The varying dynamics of snare / cymbal brushwork by Ed Thigpen is a marvel and is clearly and fully portrayed by the RH-5.
~ So far, in my view, the RH-5 is in the same sonic neighbourhood as the LTA MZ3. They both share dimensionality, image solidity, tonal balance, absence of classic “tube-ness”, and dynamics. Further comparison will be gleefully done.

Well said! One of the best reviews and impressions of the RH-5 that I've read. Glad that you're loving it.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #268 of 718
Well said! One of the best reviews and impressions of the RH-5 that I've read. Glad that you're loving it.
~ Thank you. The setup is important. The RH-5 virtues are all evident with the gear in the picture above (mountain house). Had I used the CD transport, DAC, cables from my home study/office….?
~ I am looking forward to the arrival in the mail of RFT ECC82, Brimar CV491 KB/FB (Footscray) to supplement the RH-5 diet…

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #269 of 718
@jonathan c

Let me know how you like the Brimar CV491 KB/FB tubes in the RH-5. @Wes S speaks highly of them and I trust his opinion. If you also like them then I'll have to get myself a pair. I've had the Adzam(Mazda) 12au7 6189 Special Quality, triple micas in for a year and a half. So I'm thinking it would be a good time to roll some tubes and change up the sonic character of the RH-5.

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #270 of 718
@jonathan c

Let me know how you like the Brimar CV491 KB/FB tubes in the RH-5. @Wes S speaks highly of them and I trust his opinion. If you also like them then I'll have to get myself a pair. I've had the Adzam(Mazda) 12au7 6189 Special Quality, triple micas in for a year and a half. So I'm thinking it would be a good time to roll some tubes and change up the sonic character of the RH-5.
~ I love the Brimar CV455 KB/FB (Footscray) tubes and keep/roll them in LTA MZ3, Woo WA2, Woo WA6, Valhalla II (all with adapters). But they are 12AT7s…
~ By coincidence, I have been looking at Mazda 12AU7s in the Brent Jesse listings…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back