Rode NTH-100 - Mini Review
May 6, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #76 of 92
I read that somewere ,can you do that with out damaging the filter foam in case you want to put it back ,i read its glued in place.

Well, I pull out mine without causing real damages to the very thick felt pads. There are of course a little bit residual of glue and felt material left there. I can easily glue them back on if I want to. But I don’t think I can go back to that heavily muffled sound, ever.

May 6, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #77 of 92
don’t think I can go back to that heavily muffled sound, ever.
Hmm i wonder why the placed that in there in the first place ,it makes me want to try it .

We are ta liking about the foam that in front of the speaker drivers inside the cups right ? Not something behind the removable alcadara pads right ?

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #78 of 92
Hmm i wonder why the placed that in there in the first place ,it makes me want to try it .

We are ta liking about the foam that in front of the speaker drivers inside the cups right ? Not something behind the removable alcadara pads right ?

Yes I am talking about the filters in front of the drivers. The filters are not foam, those are thick felt pads. The headphones.com review have a comparison graph with the before and after mod FR measurements.

May 7, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #79 of 92
Thats a first ,first time i heard of that placed in headphones.They point is why the wanted such a high density damping material ?Are the highs too bright without?
I Haven tried yet on mine perhaps this weekend.In most headphones when i remove foam material from the factory sound become harsh.Wonder whats the case here.

May 12, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #80 of 92
Hi, I’m new here and hoping to get some advice.

I’m after a set of wired, closed-back headphones and have been interested in the Rode’s since they were announced.

I’m new to headphones and starting to get into the hobby - my current set are the Sony WH1000XM3, which I bought predominantly for the noise cancelling whilst working at home with 2 small children running around. The sound is too bass heavy for me to really enjoy the music and hear some extra detail.

My only previous ‘good’ headphones were my now departed Thinksound On1. I loved the sound on these, which were pretty neutral with a slight boost in bass and treble. I’d love something that sounds like these, but closed-back over-ear (the On1s were on-ear). Would the Rode’s fit the bill? Or would I be better off going for something like the Beyerdynamics DT700 Pro X?

I’m finding it tricky because no stores near where I live are allowing try-ons of demo units so I’m probably going to have to buy without listening to them first.

At a later point, I want the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650/HD6XX. But at the moment I need closed-back as I share my home working space with my wife, who wouldn’t appreciate open backs!

May 12, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #81 of 92
Hi, I’m new here and hoping to get some advice.

I’m after a set of wired, closed-back headphones and have been interested in the Rode’s since they were announced.

I’m new to headphones and starting to get into the hobby - my current set are the Sony WH1000XM3, which I bought predominantly for the noise cancelling whilst working at home with 2 small children running around. The sound is too bass heavy for me to really enjoy the music and hear some extra detail.

My only previous ‘good’ headphones were my now departed Thinksound On1. I loved the sound on these, which were pretty neutral with a slight boost in bass and treble. I’d love something that sounds like these, but closed-back over-ear (the On1s were on-ear). Would the Rode’s fit the bill? Or would I be better off going for something like the Beyerdynamics DT700 Pro X?

I’m finding it tricky because no stores near where I live are allowing try-ons of demo units so I’m probably going to have to buy without listening to them first.

At a later point, I want the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650/HD6XX. But at the moment I need closed-back as I share my home working space with my wife, who wouldn’t appreciate open backs!
Hi. I bought the Rode NTH-100 and returned it the next day. It's no where near what I would call a closed back. It's more semi-open in my opinion. Holding the ear pads together while playing music I could hear the music playing loud and clear.

May 12, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #82 of 92
If you have to choose between these two, then Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X hands down. You can also try AKG K371 or K361, also Beyerdynamic DT250. Rode NTH-100 is such an idiosyncratic headphone that you absolutely need to listen to it first in order to understand whether you like it or hate it. I definitely hated it immensely.

May 28, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #83 of 92
Hi @FullBright1,

Had the Rode NTH 100 for a while, pretty much as described, I agree with you also on the sound being close to the Meze Liric, certainly very good for the money, even with exchange rate being what it is where I am & bought blind, something I rarely do for headphones.

Subjectively & personally, probably a hold onto if I feel like listening to something close to Liric since I don't have Liric yet...

Anyway, keep up the good work & hope you have a great day !

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #84 of 92
Since I shared my positive experience with these. Here's an update:

The locking mechanism broke. It actually happened only shortly after my last posts in this thread right after I got them.

One day I grasped the earcups and lifted them off my ears just enough to remove them and it snapped.

The part is not replaceable. Even though the hole looks like an allen key, there's a rivet in there. They're non repairable.

The rest of the build and materials seemed so good that I don't know what the deal was with that. The part was EXTREMELY brittle.

I am so gentle and careful with my stuff and tend not to ever drop or snag that if something breaks that I own it's proof that it's defective.

I talked to RODE and they offered to replace if I pay to ship my pair off to them at my cost, but I have been too busy.

If they don't revise that material drastically, these are pretty much useless in spite of all of the good things about them.

I am seeing a pattern with some of the headphones that I have bought over the last few years where the plastics are so terrible they can't survive the most gentle and careful handling and use. I can't even imagine them surviving a user that sometimes drops or snags sometimes.

I owned an ATHM50 that I used daily for a decade and it was made completely of plastic and they have a new owner now and they're still fine. Too bad they didn't sound good lol. Everyone else needs to get on that level. except with better sound.

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #86 of 92
I hope the Shop will replace the gear for you.
Warranty ???
I talked to RODE and they offered to replace if I pay to ship my pair off to them at my cost, but I have been too busy.

I'm going to make time to send them off soon. But I definitely got frustrated realizing the next pair could do the same thing.

But I am an early adopter. If they made a revision of any kind I will be more eager to go to the trouble sending them back.

But having to send them off at my cost when they're defective is a bit frustrating to me.

I'm not used to buying things that have issues so I'm new at this kind of thing, what kind of expectations I should have with customer service.

Sep 22, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #87 of 92

I'm going to make time to send them off soon. But I definitely got frustrated realizing the next pair could do the same thing.

But I am an early adopter. If they made a revision of any kind I will be more eager to go to the trouble sending them back.

But having to send them off at my cost when they're defective is a bit frustrating to me.

I'm not used to buying things that have issues so I'm new at this kind of thing, what kind of expectations I should have with customer service.

So, you bought them directly from RODE?, and not from a Vendor?

Did RODE say they will return them at their Cost,?

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #88 of 92
So, you bought them directly from RODE?, and not from a Vendor?

Did RODE say they will return them at their Cost,?
I bought them from Adorama. 30 day return period. I was just past that so they directed me to go through the manufacturer.

No one I talked to took ownership of the fact that they were defective.

Dec 13, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #89 of 92
"They're non repairable." "We can't send you the part." They wanted me to send the entire headphone across the country to get a replacement where the defect in the very brittle plastic had not been addressed. I see that as a way to simply provide a solution that acts as a deterrent. Shipping would have probably cost a large percentage of the cost of the headphones.

Behold the bolt mod. Hardware store parts. I've been using mine this way for a few months and it works great. The rest of the build on these is great and the parts the hardware here interface with are metal, it seems to be fine. Forward and backwards tilt are lost.

Now that I have been actually using the headphones again the right side has now shattered as well. The left side plastic part cracked and disentegrated and the entire earcup fell off eventually. The right side is broken, but still holding on. I will see if the comfort is affected once both sides have been bolted on, I don't really think so.

The parts list in order of the stack in the picture: Nut, lock washer, washer, washer, bolt.

The hole on the plastic part is indeed an hex allen screw and not a rivet. These are repairable.
DSC01007-2.jpg
DSC01010-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #90 of 92
Thats a first ,first time i heard of that placed in headphones.They point is why the wanted such a high density damping material ?Are the highs too bright without?
I Haven tried yet on mine perhaps this weekend.In most headphones when i remove foam material from the factory sound become harsh.Wonder whats the case here.
Wonder if you could punch holes in those pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back