Rode NTH-100 - Mini Review
Mar 31, 2022 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Rode NTH- 100

Mini Review - First and initial impressions right out of the box. 3-31-2022

Im using a Ferrum ERCO to Power them.
If you dont have the 0or or the Erco, then stop waiting. They're both user friendly and sound great.
Both play well with the Susvara and the Abyss TC, so, certainly they will power whatever you need to its fullest potential.
Do you want to melt your eardrums? Both will provide the power to get you there.

Music used for the RODE Review Includes :

Sade
Queen
Keane
Kandace Springs
Madonna
Sting
Sara Jarosz
Billy Strings
Rush
Chet Baker

Genre's evaluated :

Dub
House
Dance
Pop
Metal
Rock
Jazz
Classical
Country
Vocal
Instrumental

----------------------------------

RODE Box :
Rudimentary packaging.

RODE Cables : You get one SE. Its rubberized and its a single plug in. You choose the side, L<or>R : and the plug is locking. Set it and forget it. Its mostly non-microphonic and isnt too much of a burden to deal with, overall.

RODE Headband : Its soft. However the entire structure of the Headband that is connected to the cups is quite industrial in design, and substantial as a whole.
This is not a plastic toy headband. It's light, but its not totally invisible on your head. The headband's slider adjustment mechanism is well designed, and has a "release" and "lock" control on both sides that allows you to easily find the comfortable position and then lock the headphones into place.

RODE Clamping force : Its a slightly snug fit, not tight, but not at all loose.

RODE Pads : Alcantara . Slightly small for a over ear design. Initially they feel firm : upon first strap on.

I would estimate that if you have a large head and large ears you wont find these cups to be too large. And as you wear them in, they become more comfortable, given time.
Im about an hour with them on, and ive felt no desire to take them off to rest my ears, yet.
I have adjusted them a bit, a few times to locate that sweet spot of comfort, and you will have to do the same, if you purchase the RODE's.

----------------

RODE : Sonic Impressions :

I'll state without reservation that this is the 3rd excellent set of headphone that ive reviewed in the last 6 months.

The 1st was the Meze Liric, and the 2nd was the Hifiman Edition XS, and now this RODE gear. These 3, you need to hear them, and most will keep them.

Sonically, the RODE is a extremely high resolution set of headphones. It's resolution digs deep into the music and deep into the mix.
The RODE gear has striking clarity. It has more clarity than the Meze Liric, and is on par with a $1200 gear. The detail retrieval is unmatched by any other closed headphone including the Denon D9200.
For example....Reverb tails, hi hats, guitar plucks, snare hits, vocal clarity....electric guitar distortion representation, piano notes...All of this is presented with crystal clear clarity by the RODE gear.
Initially, i thought The RODE sounded bright, but within a few mins of listening i realized that this is one of those sets of headphones that provides such clarity (Think AudioTechnica ADX-5000) and detail retrieval and resolution, that this can be mis-heard initially. But as you listen, you realize that there is just so much detail and clarity being created and presented by these ultra ultra affordable headphones.

FR wise, they do present a mild V shape. They have nice sub-bass and well designed extension in their Treble range while also presenting their midrange in a quite linear fashion.
Literally, this is that closed set of headphones that produces a slight V shape YET offers mids that dont sound recessed.
So. This is a no brainer purchase if you want a good sounding CLOSED set of headphones that do not have large pads and offer incredible value for the money. They are not warm sounding overall, and they are not flat, neutral, dull. They have a somewhat exciting sound, tho reference quality, and very affordable.
They will please the person who enjoys good bass, but most of all they will appeal to the person looking for a hyper detailed yet very musical sounding set of CLOSED headphones.
Their Treble is hyper detailed, so, if you prefer a warm round smooth overall sound, then the RODE's would be a good set for you to own when you want to really see inside the music.
--------

Treble: Extended. Very detailed, yet generally stays away from Sizzzzzzle. The RODE's are Not recommended for lossy or otherwise similar types of sound files, in my opinion, as they offer too much sonic insight and will be too revealing of badly recorded music.
This is a incredibly affordable pro-gear and you must feed it quality tracks or you will not reap the Sonic benefits.

Midrange : Crystal clean and not recessed. Slightly warm. Very musical.

Bass : Similar to the Meze Lyric tho not quite as large and stays nicely separated from the midrange. No Bloat.

Soundstage : Its a closed-back with smaller cups, yet, there is a unique sense of immersion and depth.

Instrument Separation : Equal to the best closed back, or better. Class leading. Exceptional.

Resolution : Highly articulate.

Timbre : Analytically Musical

Id recommend this RODE set for those times when you really want to examine all the details in your music as well as enjoy it.

Highlights : Vocal presentation. Instrument separation. Soundstage. Detail retrieval. Overall Dynamics.
-

Specifications​

Acoustic & Electrical Specifications​

Transducer Size
40mm

Operating Principle
Dynamic

Frequency Response
5Hz – 35Khz

Impedance
32Ω

Sensitivity
110dB/V

Maximum Input Power
1700mW, 1% THD @ 1kHz

Ear Coupling
Circumaural

Ambient Noise Attenuation
20dBA

Connection Type
Dual TRRS Cable Attachments
-

DSC00052.JPG
DSC00053.JPG
DSC00054.JPG
DSC00055.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 92
Well just ordered these based on your review. I was thinking about getting them yesterday but wanted a review first. If these are as you review them for me, then I think I'm going to pare down my collection of Headphones to my two current Grado's the 80x and the rs2x. I think I'll sell my Clear Mg's, LSA HP-2s, my Austrian Audio Hi-x55s, and Pioneer SE Monitor 5. I really love the sound of my Grado's and find myself not using these others very much or enjoying them. That being said, EQ'd and on my OTL tube amp the Clear Mg's can be very enjoyable.

The one thing that I am missing is a closed back that I like and while I think the HP-2s are very good, they just don't sound right to me.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 92
Well just ordered these based on your review. I was thinking about getting them yesterday but wanted a review first. If these are as you review them for me, then I think I'm going to pare down my collection of Headphones to my two current Grado's the 80x and the rs2x. I think I'll sell my Clear Mg's, LSA HP-2s, my Austrian Audio Hi-x55s, and Pioneer SE Monitor 5. I really love the sound of my Grado's and find myself not using these others very much or enjoying them. That being said, EQ'd and on my OTL tube amp the Clear Mg's can be very enjoyable.

The one thing that I am missing is a closed back that I like and while I think the HP-2s are very good, they just don't sound right to be.

I hope you like them.
I prefer the RODE's to the Meze Liric's and i really like the Liric's.
The Liric's have just about 2db too much low end for me, personally, but they offer otherwise, much of what i like about MEZE headphones.

I would say that the Denon 9200s, and the Meze Liric's and these RODE's, are really just very good values for the money, tho the MEZE's might be a perfect value, at $1699.00, until Meze figures out a way to offer some different Pads, that are included and a simple way to remove the LIRIC pads.

And, based on you liking, preferring the Grado's.......i feel that you are going to be a perfect set of ears for the RODE's.
They do possess a certain Grado "details" quality, but sound more refined, overall, in my opinion.

Enjoy:)

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 92
One more thing i can state about the RODE's is that.......

Well, let me explain a problem.. with so many headphones, irregardless of their price. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Its this...>"Listening FATIGUE"...... And this happens, because a set of headphones does not have a balanced FR, and so, you end up with too much bass or too much treble, and then you increase the volume to try to "bring up what is not balanced"... In other words, Lets say you have a set of Hifiman and you are hearing all this Treble, and you want to hear more bass. So, you turn up the V-KNOB to get that BASS balanced against that treble, and you had to make the headphones too loud to do it.
So, you get volume fatigued trying to balance out a FR issue., unless you want to EQ them, and i dont do that, as i can hear that its a false solution.

And READER, you can pay a lot of money for that prized set only to discover that you paid for a ton of resolution at the expense of a balanced tonality, and you end up endlessly fatiguing yourself trying to solve this issue with the V knob.
Well, the RODE's do not have this issue. You can play them at quite a low volume, and there is no FR balance issue, which eliminates the Fatigue factor.
Not bad for $150.00 USD.

If you buy them from Sweetwater Music, you get free shipping and their return policy is : "not satisfied, return them".....no questions asked.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 92
I hope you like them.
I prefer the RODE's to the Meze Liric's and i really like the Liric's.
The Liric's have just about 2db too much low end for me, personally, but they offer otherwise, much of what i like about MEZE headphones.

I would say that the Denon 9200s, and the Meze Liric's and these RODE's, are really just very good values for the money, tho the MEZE's might be a perfect value, at $1699.00, until Meze figures out a way to offer some different Pads, that are included and a simple way to remove the LIRIC pads.

And, based on you liking, preferring the Grado's.......i feel that you are going to be a perfect set of ears for the RODE's.
They do possess a certain Grado "details" quality, but sound more refined, overall, in my opinion.

Enjoy:)
Awesome! So excited to get these.

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 92
I had not seen any reviews of the RODE's.
I purchased them as soon as i discovered them, and had them shipped overnight..... because i know that RODE microphones are classics, as ive used them in my Studio.
The RODE company makes serious and affordable : high end recording gear

What i hope is that RODE already has a nice "open" set in final production, as i would buy it today, ....and would not care about the cost, as i have now heard what their $150 USD set can do, which proves that someone at the RODE factory, knows how to make and dial in a set of excellent drivers using small cups to house them.

Below are more recent reviews.

-
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/rode-nth-100
-
-
https://musictech.com/reviews/studio-recording-gear/rode-nth-100-headphones-review/

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 92
Do You reckon it would be a good headphone for DJing in loud environment? Does it kill the outside sounds enough? Is it comfortable lying on Your neck for a considerable amount of time? Those two are my main concerns.

I can't assess the "neck comfort" as i only wear them on my ears since owing them...

The sound iso they provide is very good, but, im not certain if its "DJ worthy ISO"......... i really can't know, as i dont work in a Loud LIVE DJ environment where i could really test their ability to Isolate.

I can tell you that they are an incredible $$$$$$ value, and a sonic wonder.
ZEOS said they are a $500 set, sound wise, and this is true.
I hope that RODE creates an open back Flagship set, using this Driver TECH.
Id buy it today and review it tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 92
I just ordered a pair from Sweetwater. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back