Rockville MD mini-meet pics (dial-up users beware)
Dec 12, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
The real trick is to fit the SDS through the front of this case. To bring it out, I had to stand it on its side first.

12110400.jpg

The meet starts to gather with serious audio discussions at the start.

12110401.jpg

Canman can't decide which headphone to use.

12110402.jpg

A stock Earmax Pro almost is lost among the cables. Note the coupling base that is now available for the EMP. It also adds some much needed mass.

12110403.jpg

Three different EMP power supplies. One is stock, one is the Anniversary model, and one goes to a heavily modded unit. You pick which is which...

12110404.jpg

The EMP Anniversary Edition, and the modded EMP. The modded unit no longer uses a 12AT7 in the middle. Instead, it uses three tubes of the same type. It can use the 6DJ8 family, or the 6GM8.

12110405.jpg

We used a switchbox Stevieo bought from the UK to route the signal from a G08 to the EMPs.

12110406.jpg

The EMP array.

12110407.jpg

Dave1 listens to one of the new-fangled Sony's...

12110408.jpg

Canman's KGSS and Omega II provided an electrostatic reference.

12110409.jpg

I tried the Qualia's also.

12110410.jpg

Listening with an old-fangled Sony...

12110411.jpg

A late arrival shows up...

12110412.jpg

...and gets right down to listening.

12110413.jpg

Lost in thought...

12110414.jpg

Blissed out...

12110415.jpg

The Qualia 010.

12110416.jpg

The HP-2 with reference cable.

12110417.jpg

CC44hi's modded CD3000 (mods by Xanadu777). This version uses two different woods.

12110418.jpg

The "back room" rig.

12110419.jpg

Dec 12, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 11
S&%T,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I gotta get a car !!!!!!!!!!!

I would've been there in a heartbeat !!!!
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 11
OK, some quick impressions.

The EMP shootout: EMP Anniversary delivers the goods. Both it and the modded EMP were clearly operating at a higher level than the stock EMP. For a small footprint amp, the Anniversary Edition is an interesting choice. On an absolute scale, though, I'd have to rate it farther down. At its price point, if you're looking for a reference amp (and space isn't a limitation), there are better options.

Qualia is for real. IMO the sound has very little relationship to the R10. The R10 has got something special going in the midrange that the Qualia doesn't have. However, the Qualia has detail and frequency extension that the R10 can't match. The Qualia is a more neutral headphone, perhaps, although the high end seemed bright (but I'm used to the R10, which could be influencing what I think is bright). One way to think of it is that the R10 is more of a musical instrument, adding its own tonality to the listening experience, while the Qualia is more of a monitor. It does a better job of getting out of the way and letting all of the frequencies through. There are going to be people who prefer the R10, and people who prefer the Qualia. It's going to take me a long time to figure out which camp I'm in, so I'll probably wind up with both. To buy one, I'm either going to have to sell one of my kidneys, or one of my R10's. I think I'd rather part with the kidney
tongue.gif

jpelg is right, though, that the Qualia does have some sonic resemblance to the K-501. However, the Qualia can be thought of as a K-501 done right. There was a midrange "sheen" on the K-501 when I owned one that isn't present on the Qualia. Level of detail and imaging are far superion in the Qualia. The Qualia also has bass, something that the K-501 was reluctant to produce (sorry Neruda, wherever you are).

Canman's Omega II setup sounded as good as always, but there has been a dryness in the mids that has bothered me about that rig. My suspicion was that it was the interconnects, and I believe I was right. The Cardas Neutral Reference was holding the rig back. We substituted a balanced set of Bogdan Gold/Silver Spirit interconnects, and the Omega II filled in nicely. There was a sense of depth and tonality in the mids I hadn't heard out of that rig before. I had been pretty much convinced that the Omega II wasn't in my future, but I'm reopening that option now. The meet was as good as I've ever heard the Omega II sound. I'm going to post a review of the Bogdans. Right now, I think that the Gold/Silver Spirit is the interconnect to beat in its price class. It's uncomfortably close to my Virtual Dynamics Master Series interconnects in performance.

I'm not going to post much about the modded CD3000. It's a good headphone that outperforms the stock CD3K, but it wasn't in the class as some of the other headphones at the meet, and comparing it to them simply wouldn't be fair.

Interestingly, the best sound out of the Qualia (and R10) that I heard happened at the end of the meet, when I put the SDS back on its rack with the Wadia, and the Virtual Dynamic Master PC. I used a Shunyata Diamondback for the meet, and I think that that PC does a lot for the highs, but has a poor low end. (OK Dave, you can stop laughing anytime). Anyway, both the R10 and the Qualia had a stronger low end and midrange depth with the SDS back in its place with its usual source and cabling. Hmmmm...

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Guys...anytime you are having a get-together, give me a call. I don't have poison ivy, any more
biggrin.gif
!

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for your detailed impressions, Hirsch. The more I read about the Qualia, the more interesting they become. Variety is the spice of life, no? But I've been struggling about why selling off one of your R10's would be such a big issue... then the analogy hit me: it would be like the parents of twins having to give one of them up for adoption (and keep the other), knowing that they would never see that child again. We couldn't possibly identify with how difficult this would be unless we were parents of twins ourrselves! So I guess Markl is the only one who can empathize with you.

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks Hirsch,

I think that we have the same position respect to the Qualia's performances... Just only one detail... the RP010 was built for them as the Singlepowers thinking to the R10. Try to think a dedicated custom amp for the Qualia, man... !

Best!
Nicola

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Thanks for your detailed impressions, Hirsch. The more I read about the Qualia, the more interesting they become. Variety is the spice of life, no? But I've been struggling about why selling off one of your R10's would be such a big issue... then the analogy hit me: it would be like the parents of twins having to give one of them up for adoption (and keep the other), knowing that they would never see that child again. We couldn't possibly identify with how difficult this would be unless we were parents of twins ourrselves! So I guess Markl is the only one who can empathize with you.

The R10 is my primary headphone, and the only one that I have that I absolutely won't be without. I like all of the others, but the R10 is the one that lets the music flow for me. When Sony discontinued the R10, I bought the first used one that showed up, just to make sure I had a backup. I'm not sure yet if the Qualia will produce the same magic. It does sound spectacular. However I've heard many headphones that sound spectacular that don't capture me the same way the R10 does. However many times I hear the Omega II, I just don't feel an urge to go buy one. The Qualia has got my attention, but I have no idea what kind of fatigue factor the brighter frequency response would produce.

Right now, my personal listing of the top headphones I own is:

1) R10
2) K-1000
3) HE60
4) PS-1
5) HD-650/Silver Dragon

The 2-5 placing changes pretty frequently, but the number 1 spot has been constant since I got the first Supra, and had a way to get at what the R10 could really do. I've got the Omega II tentatively somewhere in the 2-3 area, based on the times I've heard it. I don't have a clear idea where Qualia will eventually place. A lot is going to depend on sound after burn-in. I'm going to listen to Stevieo's a lot more before making my own decision.

Nik,

The SinglePower SDS may be the amp for the Qualia. It's a pretty simple matter to change the tubes to match the sound to a headphone. There are other internal modifications that can be made, if wanted. However, the Qualia and SDS seemed made for each other.

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
The R10 is my primary headphone, and the only one that I have that I absolutely won't be without. I like all of the others, but the R10 is the one that lets the music flow for me. When Sony discontinued the R10, I bought the first used one that showed up, just to make sure I had a backup. I'm not sure yet if the Qualia will produce the same magic. It does sound spectacular. However I've heard many headphones that sound spectacular that don't capture me the same way the R10 does. However many times I hear the Omega II, I just don't feel an urge to go buy one. The Qualia has got my attention, but I have no idea what kind of fatigue factor the brighter frequency response would produce.

Right now, my personal listing of the top headphones I own is:

1) R10
2) K-1000
3) HE60
4) PS-1
5) HD-650/Silver Dragon

The 2-5 placing changes pretty frequently, but the number 1 spot has been constant since I got the first Supra, and had a way to get at what the R10 could really do. I've got the Omega II tentatively somewhere in the 2-3 area, based on the times I've heard it. I don't have a clear idea where Qualia will eventually place. A lot is going to depend on sound after burn-in. I'm going to listen to Stevieo's a lot more before making my own decision.

Nik,

The SinglePower SDS may be the amp for the Qualia. It's a pretty simple matter to change the tubes to match the sound to a headphone. There are other internal modifications that can be made, if wanted. However, the Qualia and SDS seemed made for each other.

i am pretty much in agreement with hirsch's list & order. i don't have enough baby o experience to coment. the qualia got really ugly. it will be burning nite & day thru the 18th of december before i dare listen to them again. they are going thru serious changes. from ok, to exciting to crap. i left them at crap & will check them again on the 18th before handing them over to hirsch for a week to play with.

they qualia sounded glorious the 1st time i heard them in my single power after a few days of burn-in & then a few days later sounded totally disapointing with the very same tubes. the qualias may need heaps of burn-in according to hirsch & i hope he is right. the burn-in process will have about at 250 hours on them when i turn the qualia over to hirsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back