Rockna Wavelight
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,216 of 1,597
Might that statement be challenged by Audiomagic Ultimate Premier fuse? šŸ˜…
Well you could directly solder the Audiomagic fuse for an even greater effect.

Obviously using no fuse at all sounds best but is rather ill adviced

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,217 of 1,597
Might that statement be challenged by Audiomagic Ultimate Premier fuse? šŸ˜…
Nah, still is a contact problem, as fuse holder is a poor quality.

I am getting guestions by pm, here is how to do:

1. Prepare an ordinary fuse like on the photo.
2. Place a fuse in the fuse holder as you usually do.
3. Solder ends of two wires to the base of a fuse holder (where a holder is soldered to the pc board).

Try to keep wires straight, a minimum lenght, cut extends after soldering.

Attachments

• IMG_20230803_171633.jpg
    IMG_20230803_171633.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,219 of 1,597
I tried all sorts of wires, 18 gauge Mundorf Solid SilverGold in like this^^^ is by far the best in it's presentation. Really opens up the sound and has a very nice timbre and layering. Audio fuses help with distortion etc, but this hack is at least 2 steps higher than just a fuse swap.
Donā€™t get me wrong itā€™s your DAC and sure thing you can do whatever you want butā€¦geez, kind of hurts my heart when I see a 6K DAC ripped up and soldered MacGyver-like.

I mean it may sound better but still if you choose to resell it you might have less chances (some might not care as if they choose to keep it).

But personally speaking this would be too much manipulation for me, even though I might not reach ā€œthe levelā€ of sound perfection if I just swapped the fuse in the holder with an audiophile fuse.

Other than that, I keep asking myself if it sound so much better with a soldered fuse, why initially didnā€™t choose Rockna this design right from the start for the fuse?

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,220 of 1,597
anyone have recommendation on upgraded fuse specs to purchase within the US? the stock holder says 5x20 and the stock fuse itself says F6.3 250v.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,221 of 1,597
ConvinceMeAudio review of the ROCKNA WaveDream for viewing pleasure:

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,222 of 1,597
Other than that, I keep asking myself if it sound so much better with a soldered fuse, why initially didnā€™t choose Rockna this design right from the start for the fuse?
Some do, others do not. By example Audio GD solder a fuse, it is why I didn't attach photo of a complete mod of my DAC in this post, nothing needs to be done, really.
:)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #1,223 of 1,597
Sorry, I didn't mean to interfere with the subject at hand. Just a quick status report. I have always found power cords could be used like filters. For example, I have a Wywires Silver power cord plugged into my pc. Its cooler, quieter and doesn't stop there as I can hear the effect throughout the audio chain. On that note I'm very happy to say one of my power cords, and Norne Draug 2 hp cable that I had repaired came back yesterday. Putting them in I realized I had way too much silver in my system. Putting the cables in struck a balance I hadn't heard before. The background is now black, there's greater separation between instruments and nothing sounds amiss. Last night was a great listening experience. I actually had the dac boxed up ready to send back to Rockna. That would have been disastrous in itself so I'm quite happy now.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,224 of 1,597
speaking of getting ready to box things up...I couldn't put my finger on why the system was sounding off...turns out i had R/L inverted from the DAC -> Pre Amp :tired_face:. All is right in the world again. :L3000:

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,225 of 1,597
Donā€™t get me wrong itā€™s your DAC and sure thing you can do whatever you want butā€¦geez, kind of hurts my heart when I see a 6K DAC ripped up and soldered MacGyver-like.

I mean it may sound better but still if you choose to resell it you might have less chances (some might not care as if they choose to keep it).

But personally speaking this would be too much manipulation for me, even though I might not reach ā€œthe levelā€ of sound perfection if I just swapped the fuse in the holder with an audiophile fuse.

Putting the fuse holder back in takes about 5 minutes. It's an easy soldering job for most people than know how to use a soldering iron.

Having said that...the stock fuse holder is really cheap tin plated brass, and the contact on the fuses is light at best.
I don't know why Rockna does what it does, I only go by what I hear.
After modding this DAC, I soldered all my fuses on all my equipment.
If you could hear my speakers, it's resolution gone insane with absolutely zero harshness anywhere.

This DAC also responds very very well to power cables, and the one that I built using SilverGold mundorf 17mm foil, is to die for.

10 ft long power cable. 9.5 ft is 14 gauge solid copper romex cable from home depot. Last 6 inches is silverGold foil, soldered into the power receptacle one one end, and onto the romex on the other.
The foil is folded onto itself twice, length wise meaning the strip is only 4.25 mm wide when installed.

This DAC in it's stock form is playing at maybe 60% of what it's capable of.

This is not an exaggeration.
Fortune favors the bold.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #1,227 of 1,597
You can go one step further, but this is not for the faint of heart :sunglasses:

Matt
I bypassed the fuses, just to see what it would sound like.
The SilverGold 18 gauge soldered onto the fuses sounded better.
The full bypass had a thick syrupy sound in comparison, with a saturated timbre.

The fuse filament, if dampened properly, has no discernible degradation of the sound as far as I can tell.

Aug 4, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,228 of 1,597

Because it's nonsense and makes no difference. But like many aspects of this hobby, people would rather believe mumbo jumbo then use logic and common sense.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,229 of 1,597
So, help this newbie get it straight. You are simply soldering a wire on each side of the fuse itself. Not doing away with the fuses function as it will still blow. Then remove the fuse holder and solder both wire ends to the board where the fuse holder used to connect. Is that what we're talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back