Rockna Wavelight
Jul 29, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,201 of 1,645
Hi!
I'm considering buying a DAC. The Rockna Wavelight and the Meitner MA3 are options. Since I couldn't find a comparative test, I thought I'd ask in this forum if anyone has heard them in a direct comparison. Based on what I've read, both DACs have a smooth, pleasant, analog sound, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm especially curious about their differences in terms of macrodynamics (slam, impact, bite, bass depth), but other distinctions also interest me.

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,202 of 1,645
Hi!
I'm considering buying a DAC. The Rockna Wavelight and the Meitner MA3 are options. Since I couldn't find a comparative test, I thought I'd ask in this forum if anyone has heard them in a direct comparison. Based on what I've read, both DACs have a smooth, pleasant, analog sound, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm especially curious about their differences in terms of macrodynamics (slam, impact, bite, bass depth), but other distinctions also interest me.

I have both. U won't go wrong with either. depends on your use case too.

MA3 has built in streamer so that's a plus. I like it for the convenience and less one box, but downside is I actually prefer other connections into it ie usb or aes. having said that, the differences are minute and I'd be perfectly happy with ethernet if I didn't have the opportunity to compare.

MA3 is pretty much plug and play. no settings at all other than select input and display brightness. Wavelight u can fiddle about with filters a bit, adjust balance..

bite/speed/transients - MA3.
slam/impact/tightness - MA3.
mids - Wavelight.
bass bloom/amount - Wavelight.
depth, height, width space, imaging -Wavelight.
musicality/ease of listening/naturalness - Wavelight.

physical aspects
Looks - toss up between the two. I like them both.
volume control - MA3 (comes with remote), feels like better/easier to get to the volume I want (if adjusting volume on dac)
ease of use - MA3 no hit and miss firmware updates. plug and play.

I could listen all day with the wavelight and a tube amp. MA3 u kinda have this feeling in the back of your head that u know the upsampling is happening. MA3 has this DSD sound going on - just a very slightly subdued low end and high end, overall just a tad bit flatter sounding.

Also a pairing thing. for eg I'd take rockna + WA33 over MA3 + WA33, but in the same sentence I'd take MA3 + vm1a/Raal over rockna + vm1a/Raal.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,203 of 1,645
What do you think is the best HDMI cable to connect the Singxer SU-6 and the Rockna Wavelight.
I've tried Supra and Rockna and found no difference.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #1,204 of 1,645
I have both. U won't go wrong with either. depends on your use case too.

MA3 has built in streamer so that's a plus. I like it for the convenience and less one box, but downside is I actually prefer other connections into it ie usb or aes. having said that, the differences are minute and I'd be perfectly happy with ethernet if I didn't have the opportunity to compare.

MA3 is pretty much plug and play. no settings at all other than select input and display brightness. Wavelight u can fiddle about with filters a bit, adjust balance..

bite/speed/transients - MA3.
slam/impact/tightness - MA3.
mids - Wavelight.
bass bloom/amount - Wavelight.
depth, height, width space, imaging -Wavelight.
musicality/ease of listening/naturalness - Wavelight.

physical aspects
Looks - toss up between the two. I like them both.
volume control - MA3 (comes with remote), feels like better/easier to get to the volume I want (if adjusting volume on dac)
ease of use - MA3 no hit and miss firmware updates. plug and play.

I could listen all day with the wavelight and a tube amp. MA3 u kinda have this feeling in the back of your head that u know the upsampling is happening. MA3 has this DSD sound going on - just a very slightly subdued low end and high end, overall just a tad bit flatter sounding.

Also a pairing thing. for eg I'd take rockna + WA33 over MA3 + WA33, but in the same sentence I'd take MA3 + vm1a/Raal over rockna + vm1a/Raal.
Thanks for the reply!
What do you think about power line cleaners(Audioquest Niagaras, Isotek cleaners, etc.) and fuse tuning? Could these help make the Wavelight and MA3 sound better?

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #1,205 of 1,645
Thanks for the reply!
What do you think about power line cleaners(Audioquest Niagaras, Isotek cleaners, etc.) and fuse tuning? Could these help make the Wavelight and MA3 sound better?

I have a hifi tuning supreme3 in my wavelight and I felt it made a positive difference. I also use niagara 1200 and Lab12 Gordian. i like the TWL Digital power cord with the wavelight.

but I'd suggest get the dac first, listen and enjoy it, before considering to add on all the other non critical stuff..

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #1,206 of 1,645
What do you think is the best HDMI cable to connect the Singxer SU-6 and the Rockna Wavelight.
I've tried Supra and Rockna and found no difference.

try an aes cable if you haven't already.

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,207 of 1,645
try an aes cable if you haven't already.
I haven't done it yet because I don't have an AES/EBU cable.
Probably in the next few days I can find a Siltech Golden Ridge AES/EBU to listen to.
Do you have any recommendations?
It bothers me that the playback of DSD files is limited.

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,208 of 1,645
Thanks for the reply!
I found the Wavelight, like many other front end components, to be quite sensitive to power inputs. For me, the better power cable and conditioner/filter made a great difference by lowering the noise floor, increasing the darkness of the background and separating instrumentation.

I agree with Roasty though, pick which one sounds best out of the box and go from there, as going down the cable/conditioner rabbit hole may have you adjusting the same for other components.

I have not added an upgraded the fuse yet but a new fuse has made a difference on my server.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #1,209 of 1,645
I have a hifi tuning supreme3 in my wavelight and I felt it made a positive difference. I also use niagara 1200 and Lab12 Gordian. i like the TWL Digital power cord with the wavelight.

but I'd suggest get the dac first, listen and enjoy it, before considering to add on all the other non critical stuff..
Hi! Interesting! What value on hifi tuning supreme3 fuse and dimentions? Small 5x20mm or Large 6x32mm?

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #1,210 of 1,645
Hi! Interesting! What value on hifi tuning supreme3 fuse and dimentions? Small 5x20mm or Large 6x32mm?
The 5x20mm is for devices the 6x32mm for fuse holders in your house.

The important info is the Ampere when it should blow for the desired device

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,211 of 1,645

It's 5x20mm and 3.15a but I'm on 230v, and I'm not entirely sure what the value is for 110v countries..

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,213 of 1,645
I am on 230V too, so thanks! :) Just one fuse?

Yep just one fuse! open the top case and it's in a small fuse holder. you'll be able to spot it easily.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,214 of 1,645
Alternatively solder a standard fuse on short wires, it can even rest on the fuse holder. It will sound better than any audiophile fuse. Did I write any? That's correct.
:)

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #1,215 of 1,645
Alternatively solder a standard fuse on short wires, it can even rest on the fuse holder. It will sound better than any audiophile fuse. Did I write any? That's correct.
:)
Might that statement be challenged by Audiomagic Ultimate Premier fuse? 😅

Attachments

• 50D57559-4279-4D2E-A203-E528C481A863.jpeg
    50D57559-4279-4D2E-A203-E528C481A863.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back