Rockna Wavelight
Jul 9, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #63 of 1,586
Very well. I am listening to it feeding a Einstein Audio tube amp.
The aqua is sold already, not necessarily worse, but not a good match without a preamp in my system. Lot of air with the Wavelight, silky with plenty of details. So far the best I had.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #64 of 1,586
IMG20200709225627.jpg

Initial impressions after receiving the Wavelight. Coming from a Denafrips Terminator, there is a clarity from the Wavelight that is musical and yet dynamic. The Terminator sounds more relaxed and laid back. There is an increase in space and decay of instruments, transients and speed is fast. High hats and cymbals have got that shimmer and sparkle. The detail, texture and layering is superb. It's quite an achievement for Rockna with this type of sound, where nothing really stands out when you listen but yet everything is excellent. It is quite hard to describe this unless you hear it yourself. This is an amazing DAC.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #65 of 1,586
Yeah! :thumbsup:

Best part is, its FPGA. Future upgrades would just be a simple firmware update. And smaller compared to the Termi.
Will be getting her sister Hydra.Vox + Zap myself.

Happy sleepless nights!
:gs1000smile:

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #67 of 1,586
Jul 11, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #69 of 1,586
Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #70 of 1,586
My apologies for being too synthetic.

The LHLabs with custom ccx8 module is dedicated to my work from home office.

I had few mid priced range DAC since I sold the MicroMega Trio and relinquish a delphi/sme/lyra setup long time ago. By then were considered sort of state of the art in their respective domain.

Today I don't regret either of the two.

I also remember when the first Philips DAC landed in my father system. It was like scratching choke on a blackboard and this was my take on digital transports for the longest time.

To the point, my comment is, as expected, a personal opinion and based on music preference and all the constraints of its reproduction in terms of room and components.

I had both, the Audiobyte combo demo unit did not last more than a few days, the Wavelight it's a joy to listen to. Transparent is the most obvious word.

I'm still experimenting with the filters and found the hybrid is adding more meat compared to NOS, which was my original choice since I run HQPlayer via USB/ASIO.

I was told the multi-bit DAC is more suitable in my system and definitely is.

I've really enjoyed the La Scala for the little time I owned it, but not the right match I assume for the lack of a solid state preamp, which is again a personal choice.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #71 of 1,586
IMG20200709225627.jpg
Initial impressions after receiving the Wavelight. Coming from a Denafrips Terminator, there is a clarity from the Wavelight that is musical and yet dynamic. The Terminator sounds more relaxed and laid back. There is an increase in space and decay of instruments, transients and speed is fast. High hats and cymbals have got that shimmer and sparkle. The detail, texture and layering is superb. It's quite an achievement for Rockna with this type of sound, where nothing really stands out when you listen but yet everything is excellent. It is quite hard to describe this unless you hear it yourself. This is an amazing DAC.

Nice to see more Wavelight users. It's a great DAC, I think it outperforms Terminator as well, at least the original - I see there is a Terminator Plus now.

Are you using in a headphone or speaker system? What is the rest of your chain?

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #72 of 1,586
Just placed a deposit. Will be a good few weeks before I get my unit.. If I still have my holo spring 2 then, I'll try and make some comparison notes for u guys.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #73 of 1,586
Just placed a deposit. Will be a good few weeks before I get my unit.. If I still have my holo spring 2 then, I'll try and make some comparison notes for u guys.
Please keep the spring until then.
We need conparisons like that

Especially now that I decided to go the rockna instead of the holo route

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #74 of 1,586
just got mine in after dhl fumbling around. My ears are a bit iffy now from cranking my stax setup too loud lately, will probably be a while before i can't have some serious listening done.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #75 of 1,586

Users who are viewing this thread

Back