Rockna Wavelight
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #601 of 1,645
Weel when you reach at this price points, it becomes more out of preference than technicalities.

Jun 20, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #603 of 1,645
Exactly :sunglasses:

I imagine that ideally it would be nice to have both, but which one do you think will stay?
I’m not sure. It comes down to whether I lean more towards tube-like sound (rich, harmonic) or solid-state (fast, linear) in combination with my hybrid amp. I’ve switched around my power cables at least ten times now. I’ve got PS Audio, WyWires, iFi, and Cardas (on loan from the Cardas dealer) power cords to play with. Optimizing for one of the DACs doesn’t necessarily complement the other.

I’m also hoping the Wavelight server will come out by the time I make a decision. That would make it easy.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #604 of 1,645
I’m not sure. It comes down to whether I lean more towards tube-like sound (rich, harmonic) or solid-state (fast, linear) in combination with my hybrid amp. I’ve switched around my power cables at least ten times now. I’ve got PS Audio, WyWires, iFi, and Cardas (on loan from the Cardas dealer) power cords to play with. Optimizing for one of the DACs doesn’t necessarily complement the other.

I’m also hoping the Wavelight server will come out by the time I make a decision. That would make it easy.
I understand, and it's interesting that you had some fun with power cables. If I may ask, how ours did in your comparison? Was it suitable for one DAC more than the other?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 23, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #606 of 1,645
I think it is only the owner the responds.. which is nice but not great for a professional service dept.
I'd suggest emailing again, he will respond quickly.. or won't at all.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #608 of 1,645
I'm one of the few with the digital handshake issue too. I have been checking their support portal almost everyday for the new FW. I am trying not to hasten Rockna, as I want them to test this FW out thoroughly to make sure there aren't any bugs, so that we don't run into any new issues. But yes, it's been a while since they said it will be out and it's still not here. Let's wait it out just a little more.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #609 of 1,645
I'm one of the few with the digital handshake issue too. I have been checking their support portal almost everyday for the new FW. I am trying not to hasten Rockna, as I want them to test this FW out thoroughly without any bugs so that we don't run into any new issues. But yes, it's been a while since they said it will be out and it's still not here. Let's wait it out just a little more.
i mean initial contact with rockna on this issue is a bit over 5 months ago. for some of us atleast. They have the fix, but they wanted to release additional functionality. Makes no sense to not give us a fix first.

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #610 of 1,645
I think I am liking the Wavelight more..

Non upsample music, Qobuz.
Streamer endpoint to Denafrips Hermes and i2s to dacs.
Same xlr cables and same power cords to both dacs.

But perhaps still early.. Both the May and Hermes are fairly new. the Rockna sounds a bit more lush throughout the range. Whereas the May sounds very very clean and airy.

Let's see how the next week goes..
Hello Roasty, any further developments in your dac journey? Are you still enjoyimgh the Wavelight more than the others?

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #611 of 1,645
i mean initial contact with rockna on this issue is a bit over 5 months ago. for some of us atleast. They have the fix, but they wanted to release additional functionality. Makes no sense to not give us a fix first.
Agreed. They should have just released it as a patch and not included it as part of the next FW, which is what is taking so long.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #612 of 1,645
Hello Roasty, any further developments in your dac journey? Are you still enjoyimgh the Wavelight more than the others?

hey there. i'm still running in the May. not sure if there is going to be any further change in sound after around 400 hrs, but i've been told at least 500 is required. but so far, yes, still enjoying the Wavelight more.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #614 of 1,645
I'm one of the few with the digital handshake issue too. I have been checking their support portal almost everyday for the new FW. I am trying not to hasten Rockna, as I want them to test this FW out thoroughly to make sure there aren't any bugs, so that we don't run into any new issues. But yes, it's been a while since they said it will be out and it's still not here. Let's wait it out just a little more.
I have the same problem. I wrote to them in February. I don't know why it takes so long. In the previous version FW, the handshake worked fine.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #615 of 1,645
EDIT: This post about power cables was moved to another thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back