Rockna Wavedream DAC
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #331 of 345
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for 6 weeks. I'm absolutely loving this dac so far.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #332 of 345
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for 6 weeks. I'm absolutely loving this dac so far.

What do you think about synergy with WA33 EE and AIC-10? How do the two amps compare? I’m thinking about upgrading to one of them with my Wavedream as DAC

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #333 of 345

Do you prefer the Wavedream rather than the Vivaldi Apex?

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #334 of 345
Do you prefer the Wavedream rather than the Vivaldi Apex?
Yes. Wavedream sig bal > vivaldi apex

The wavedream is actually what I expected the vivaldi apex to sound like

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #335 of 345
Considering trying out the WD Edition XLR to see if it helps even out my rather dark-sounding system synergy of Wavelight and WA23 Luna. From everything that I've read, the Wavedream would be a step in the right direction with its technical superiority, more upper mid and treble forward signature, and less liquid sound.

Question if I do upgrade: am I risking dynamics and headroom for my Susvara by feeding a weaker output (13.2Vpp aka 4.66 Vrms) from the Wavedream into the WA23 versus my current and happily sufficient headroom and dynamic Wavelight (5.8 vrms through XLR)? I know, I know-on paper, the WA23 shouldn't be sufficient enough for Susvara, but with my current WL, I am very happy with the power, grip, and headroom. Just afraid that the WDEdition's output being weaker might cause some issues there.

I am pretty behind when it comes to understanding the science behind power and outputs so would appreciate any insights from those more experienced!

Apr 14, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #336 of 345
The wavedream is actually what I expected the vivaldi apex to sound like
Out of curiosity what sort of sound are you seeking when you purchase a dac of this price? Would love to read more comparison between the two once you've spent more time with it.

Considering trying out the WD Edition XLR to see if it helps even out my rather dark-sounding system synergy of Wavelight and WA23 Luna.
Since you are using a single ended amp do try to audition a Signature SE as well. I've tested both XLR and SE output from the Wavedream and there is no discernable difference beyond a slight difference in volume which is attributed to the higher voltage from the XLR output. But there is a difference in overall dynamics between the Signature and Edition so if that is your main goal you might enjoy the Signature more in the long run. Though we are now in the realm of diminishing returns so it's best to hear both if possible before making a purchase.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #337 of 345
Out of curiosity what sort of sound are you seeking when you purchase a dac of this price? Would love to read more comparison between the two once you've spent more time with it.

Since you are using a single ended amp do try to audition a Signature SE as well. I've tested both XLR and SE output from the Wavedream and there is no discernable difference beyond a slight difference in volume which is attributed to the higher voltage from the XLR output. But there is a difference in overall dynamics between the Signature and Edition so if that is your main goal you might enjoy the Signature more in the long run. Though we are now in the realm of diminishing returns so it's best to hear both if possible before making a purchase.
The wavedream is a more exciting, more forward and aggressive with its sound with better transients. The way the wavedream throws detail and imaging is alot more fun than the vivaldi and more impressive. The vivialdi apex Has a very safe non fatiguing smooth sound to it with more bass bloom then the wavedream but honestly just found it boring and nothing stood out apart from it's crazy resolution. It's not lacking anything it's just a very safe tuning to me and just not my thing.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #338 of 345
The wavedream is a more exciting, more forward and aggressive with its sound with better transients. The vivialdi apex Has a very safe non fatiguing smooth sound to it with more bass bloom then the wavedream but honestly just found it boring and nothing stood out apart from it's crazy resolution.
@DJJEZ sorry if I missed it but have you tried Mola Mola Tambaqui?

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #339 of 345
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #341 of 345
@DJJEZ so I understand you prefer WaveDream? The problem I had with MMT is that some tracks sounds awful including my favourite ones. Something that never hit me when listening with WaveLight or WaveDream.
I did not like tambaqui. It sounded warm and bright at the same time. Much preferred my dave/mscaler and holo may at the time.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #342 of 345
The wavedream is a more exciting, more forward and aggressive with its sound with better transients. The way the wavedream throws detail and imaging is alot more fun than the vivaldi and more impressive. The vivialdi apex Has a very safe non fatiguing smooth sound to it with more bass bloom then the wavedream but honestly just found it boring and nothing stood out apart from it's crazy resolution. It's not lacking anything it's just a very safe tuning to me and just not my thing.
Thanks for sharing. The Wavedream is the best I've heard and by quite a notable margin and the only equipment I have that I don't find lacking in any audio sense. I understand how the presentation can be a bit too intense for others but glad that works out for you.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #344 of 345

Users who are viewing this thread

Back