Rockna Audio Wavedream - New Excellent High-End DAC
Apr 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

dan.gheorghe

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been waiting to hear this product for a while now. It has a original circuit design done from scratch and based on MSB (R2R) Dac modules. Besides this it has some other interesting specs.

I've managed to take it for a few days and I must say that it really impressed me. This is one of the best DACS I have ever heard.

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 45
  I enjoyed reading that, but you didn't really compare it to much else, even the comparison to the analog dac was a little vague. Is that cause you don't have the analog dac in house anymore?

Thank you. You are right, I don't have it in house. It would be nice to have them all...but for now I am trying to buy at least one of them :)). Nevertheless I am pretty sure that is in my top 2 dacs (next to analog dac) from all I have ever tested.  

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 45
So, how badly does one's wallet have to bleed to own this thing?

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 45
  So, how badly does one's wallet have to bleed to own this thing?

Well, I don't know all the prices. Just for the Platinum unbalanced (2 Platinum dacs) - 4900 EUR + VAT

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 45
http://www.odysseyaudiohk.com/eng/price.html

Rockna Audio WaveDream DAC - Balanced
HK$69,800 (9K)

Rockna Audio WaveDream DAC - Single-ended
HK$49,800 (6.5K)

Rockna Audio WaveDream Signature DAC - Balanced
HK$119,800 (15.5K)

Rockna Audio WaveDream Signature DAC - Single-ended
HK$99,800 (13K)

From what I understood it depends of VAT too. for example the Single ended platinum costs 4900 + VAT -> 6070 eur ( in RO ) , vs the above 6.5k.

May 18, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 45
I really wish to test it one day....I heard only good things about this fantastic DAC

Here official latest price list (Euro with VAT) feb. 2015

-Wavedream Platinum DAC – Single Ended 5.880
-Wavedream Platinum DAC – Balanced 8.280

-Wavedream Signature DAC – Single Ended 11.880

-Wavedream Signature DAC – Balanced 14.280

May 19, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 45
  I really wish to test it one day....I heard only good things about this fantastic DAC

Here official latest price list (Euro with VAT) feb. 2015

-Wavedream Platinum DAC – Single Ended 5.880
-Wavedream Platinum DAC – Balanced 8.280

-Wavedream Signature DAC – Single Ended 11.880

-Wavedream Signature DAC – Balanced 14.280

Huh, well cheaper than the MSB DACs. Just goes to show how expensive custom-milled chassis are.

May 25, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 45
Huh, well cheaper than the MSB DACs. Just goes to show how expensive custom-milled chassis are.

Taking into account it's weight (7,8 kilos), it looks like Rockna's case is made of usual thin aluminium. Only the front panel thikness is 20 mm.
In addition it has only 3-transformer PS, while Analog Power Base and all DAC V power bases include 5 transformers.

Analog also has DAC modules which are close (or equal ?) in performance to Signature DAC modules.

And what about Rockna's USB input? Is it as good as MSB new USB Quad Rate input? I bet it is equal to the basic USB 384 input.

So in comarison with Analog DAC + Analog Power Base we have:
1) simplified power supply which is put in the same chasis with the DAC itself.
2) simplified chasis.
3) simplified USB (in comparison with MSB Quad USB input?).

Wavedream Signature DAC Balanced version seems the only one which may outperform Analog DAC+Analog Power Base.

Moreover MSB have a trump card - Network Renderer Input. It looks like it sounds as good as USB-source + new USB Quad DSD module. The difference in price between Quad USB and Renderer is just $400. And there is a need in a high-quality USB source (transport) for the version with USB input. So the Renderer seems at least a very good value for the money.

There is a discussion about USB Quad Rate DSD input and Network Renderer - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/msb-network-renderer-module-quad-direct-stream-digital-experience-24244/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back