Rockna Audio Wavedream - New Excellent High-End DAC
Nov 22, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #16 of 45
I had an opportunity to compare upper Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC versus MSB Analog DAC (with Analog Power supply, Volume Control and USB 384). Both DACs were connected to Aurender X100s via USB.

The system was: Vitus Audio SM-010 with Wilson Audio Sophia 3.

The results are the following:
Both DACs have heir own characters. I would say they are worthy adversaries. I also could not claim that one is better than the other. They sound different although they both include MSB modules.

MSB has better placement of instruments and vocalists, more spacious soundstage at all, while Rockna has a bit better resolution and more balanced sound.

Which one to choose will depend on your musical preferences.

Both DACs have several filters which let you change the sound a little bit.

The other one competitor was Linn Klimax DSM. This one demonstated the most balanced and musical sound of all. There was absolutely no compression. The sound was just right. Excellent vocals. Everything from Diana Krall to AC/DC sounded very impressive. I had no wish to analyse the soundquality. It was a pleasure just to listen.

I bet the new Linn Akurate DSM/1 would be a worthy competitor to MSB and Rockna.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #17 of 45
  I had an opportunity to compare upper Rockna Wavedream Signature Balanced DAC versus MSB Analog DAC (with Analog Power supply, Volume Control and USB 384). Both DACs were connected to Aurender X100s via USB.

The system was: Vitus Audio SM-010 with Wilson Audio Sophia 3.

The results are the following:
Both DACs have heir own characters. I would say they are worthy adversaries. I also could not claim that one is better than the other. They sound different although they both include MSB modules.

MSB has better placement of instruments and vocalists, more spacious soundstage at all, while Rockna has a bit better resolution and more balanced sound.

Which one to choose will depend on your musical preferences.

Both DACs have several filters which let you change the sound a little bit.

The other one competitor was Linn Klimax DSM. This one demonstated the most balanced and musical sound of all. There was absolutely no compression. The sound was just right. Excellent vocals. Everything from Diana Krall to AC/DC sounded very impressive. I had no wish to analyse the soundquality. It was a pleasure just to listen.

I bet the new Linn Akurate DSM/1 would be a worthy competitor to MSB and Rockna.

From my distant memory of wavedream, I had a very similar experience. Quad usb may change the game  in terms of resolution, but Rockna did a change of its own and created their own DAC chips that have very sexy specs (fpga based R2R). Very curious about the new sound.

May 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 45
Hi Dan, 

I am new here and also new to head-fi. I just have to say, wonderful review on the Wavedream at your website!
I also found some 'new' infos about this DAC. Looks like they are going to change the entire line. New versions are the Wavedream Edition. They actually use new DAC modules instead of the MSB one. I will try to gather more infos.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 45
Just got a mint condition Platinum balanced wavedream dac to replace my Schiit Yggdrasil. While I think Yggdrasil is a tad more transparent and more detailed, the Rockna wavedream is more musical and has a nice smooth and liquid voice. I definitely prefer the Rockna wavedream over Yggdrasil with my Focal Utopia.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #20 of 45
  Hi Dan, 

I am new here and also new to head-fi. I just have to say, wonderful review on the Wavedream at your website!
I also found some 'new' infos about this DAC. Looks like they are going to change the entire line. New versions are the Wavedream Edition. They actually use new DAC modules instead of the MSB one. I will try to gather more infos.

Thank you Yugo. Indeed they changed their dac chips. They were made by MSB, now they are made in house. They look promising.
Just got a mint condition Platinum balanced wavedream dac to replace my Schiit Yggdrasil. While I think Yggdrasil is a tad more transparent and more detailed, the Rockna wavedream is more musical and has a nice smooth and liquid voice. I definitely prefer the Rockna wavedream over Yggdrasil with my Focal Utopia.

That is interesting. I expected Rockna to be more detailed and transparent than Yggy. Did you use yggy directly from usb ? I haven't had the chance to listen to the new models from Rockna yet.

My experience is with the older line with MSB dac chips.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 45
I compared both using Singxer SU-1 usb to AES connection. After a few months with the Rockna, I have no regrets swapping the Yggdrasil with it. To me, the Rockna is more engaging and has a more natural soundstage and realistic tonality.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 45
It is tough to say whether it is worth it with the premium over Yggdrasil. Best to hear it and decide for yourself.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #24 of 45
I compared both using Singxer SU-1 usb to AES connection. After a few months with the Rockna, I have no regrets swapping the Yggdrasil with it. To me, the Rockna is more engaging and has a more natural soundstage and realistic tonality.

I am thinking of the Rockna as a DAC for my Utopia. I have also read in other forum and note your vast experience. What are some of your recommended tube amp in between the Rockna and Utopia?
Unluckily, I have not the chance to try out that many combinations as you can. I am looking for a musical setup than a detail and analytical presentation.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 45
I will recommend DNA Stratus wholeheartedly as it is engaging, musical and natural sounding, very much like the Rockna wavedream Dac. Unfortunately, the wait time is at least a year at the moment unless you can find a pre-owned one. Other nice offerings that I have heard include Glenn amplifiers and Apex Teton. You may want to check out the Utopia thread for more suggestions. Anyway I feel that to yield the full benefits of an excellent DAC like Rockna wavedream, you should get a technically capable amplifier. Cheers!

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #26 of 45
Thanks Froger,

I heard the Rockna with a two channel system comparing against the Totaldac. I believe I am going for the Rockna. The presentation is warm and solid, highly musical!
For the DNA amp. Price is acceptable for me but one year wait is too much for me to bare. I am now struggling between the Modwright Tyrst or IHA-1. It's sad that I have to buy biind as these amps are no where for a listen. Any further advice.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #27 of 45
I only heard of the iha-1 which I thought sounded very musical and nice. No thorough comparison though. Another amplifier many people rave about pairing with utopia is Eddie current zana deux super.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #29 of 45
Has anyone compared one of these against the Audio-GD top models like the R2R 7, Master 7 (Singularity) or NOS 11?

They all have high prices and I'm interested to know if there is really a difference.

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #30 of 45
Hi, I need a hand working out which modules are installed in a Rockna Sig Bal, the serial number is 1610397. Is this the msb module or new module?. the unit is 3 years old.
Also wondering if it is possible to get a warranty transfer or updated firmware if you are not the original owner?

Messaged Rockna a few days ago with not reply yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back