Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #796 of 1,205
I am relatively new to the audiophile world, but is there a particular reason you would want to use the clip+?  Is it just for a cheap way to play music, or does the quality of music sounds better coming from a clip+ better than an iPod for some reason?  Also, I've come to believe that the R-50s are great even without an amp... is that true?  Will there be a big difference if I use an E11 (seems to come up a decent amount throughout this thread).  I've honestly never used an amp before (but I assume it would help with my ATH-m50 as well).  Thanks guys.  Learning a ton.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #797 of 1,205
Quote:
I am relatively new to the audiophile world, but is there a particular reason you would want to use the clip+?  Is it just for a cheap way to play music, or does the quality of music sounds better coming from a clip+ better than an iPod for some reason?  Also, I've come to believe that the R-50s are great even without an amp... is that true?  Will there be a big difference if I use an E11 (seems to come up a decent amount throughout this thread).  I've honestly never used an amp before (but I assume it would help with my ATH-m50 as well).  Thanks guys.  Learning a ton.

R-50 should not really benefit from a portable amp as long as you have a good source. 

People use the Clip because it's good and inexpensive. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #798 of 1,205
Sounds like a killer setup for only $150. $120 for the R-50, and $30 for a clip+. Who says you have to be rich to get good sound....

For $150 these two devices create an excellent listening experience. It's things like this I wished I knew on joining, and would of saved me hundreds of dollars, but without those hundreds of dollars spent my experience would be rather limited, though if R-50 signature agree's with the buyer these two together would make a great "buy and leave before the addiction sets in" be happy etc..

Unfortantely it's too late for me. :mad: I've caught the bug. :xf_eek:

My friend, sometimes headphones or IEM's pair better with certain players, it's called synergy, so we often spend half our hobby trying to find a good pairing, the Clip+ with R-50 sounds especially good. You would not need an amp, not all with that player and R-50. Clip+ has stirred quite a fuss in the audiophile word, at it's price point cannot be touched in sound quality. Just so happens it works overly well with these $120 R-50.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #799 of 1,205
Quote:

SOB.  This post a few pages back led me to believe that the Sony's would indeed fit... and I've never been a big fan of foam tips.  So they really won't fit?

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358815368&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+hybrids

Those fit my R-50's just fine.

Sorry for the confusion then. Didn't think the Hybrids are THAT narrow.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #800 of 1,205
I am relatively new to the audiophile world, but is there a particular reason you would want to use the clip+?  

Many people have found the Clip+ equal in SQ to most mp3 players currently available, including phones. For example, it's easily competitive with iPhone and iPod.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #801 of 1,205
Quote:
Many people have found the Clip+ equal in SQ to most mp3 players currently available, including phones. For example, it's easily competitive with iPhone and iPod.

Yep.

The Clip+ does it all for me. Sounds great, is incredibly portable, even with an amp strapped to it and has expandable storage.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #804 of 1,205
i just got my r50 and i'm quite disappointed right now. the left side has more sibilant than the right. it's just unbearable to listen at high volume. could this be a defect? will burn in help?

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #805 of 1,205
A difference in sound between sides most likely means improper fit on one side. 

As for being unbearable at high volumes, listen at a lower volume. I dont consider this type of sound to be a good fit for high volume listening. 
Quote:
i just got my r50 and i'm quite disappointed right now. the left side has more sibilant than the right. it's just unbearable to listen at high volume. could this be a defect? will burn in help?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #806 of 1,205
i just got my r50 and i'm quite disappointed right now. the left side has more sibilant than the rght. it's just unbearable to listen at high volume. could this be a defect? will burn in help?
what is your source? i love my r50s with my fiio e11 but without the amp they sound awful... sibilant and thin (sources are my samsung galaxy s, my laptop and my desktop pc). after reading more posts im inclined to buy a clip+ to get good sound from them without an amp.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #807 of 1,205
Quote:
what is your source? i love my r50s with my fiio e11 but without the amp they sound awful... sibilant and thin (sources are my samsung galaxy s, my laptop and my desktop pc). after reading more posts im inclined to buy a clip+ to get good sound from them without an amp.

I don't think they're that different amp vs unamped, with an amp they sound a bit more full but that's about it.  Also I've never found them to be very sibilant at all and I hate very bright highs though most of the EDM I listen to doesn't have very many vocals.  Even when I listen to vocal tracks the R-50 was never to sibilant imo.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #808 of 1,205
Quote:
My DAC has some amplification for the headphone output.  I will try connect the R-50 when I get them back (they are on loan) directly to the non-amplified 3.5mm jack output to see if there is a difference.  I tested that today with my ATH-CKS77.  The difference was very small between the amplified and non-amplified DAC outputs and was significant between both DAC outputs and the Indeed G3.

Techno Kid:

Did you replace your FiiO stock cable(s) with the $10 Canare cable that is shown in the picture that H2O Fidelity just posted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-to-3-5mm-plug-headphone-cable-for-headphone-amplifier-Black-cable-/281044134669?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item416f892b0d

I got my R-50 back a few days ago.  As I said that I would, I tried the R-50 with no amplification, with the DAC's headphone amplifier and with the Indeed G3 amplifier.  The difference in SQ between no amplification and the DAC's headphone amplifier is noticeable.  The difference in SQ between the DAC's headphone amplifier and the Indeed G3 amplifier is more noticeable now than what it used to be.  The reason is that the DAC's headphone amplifier is a good one with very clean sound and at the same time the Indeed G3 amplifier or/and the tube were in the burn in period when I compared the sound quality between the two amps.  So, the R-50 sounded the same or better with just the DAC's headphone amplifier as compared to how they sounded out of the Indeed G3.  Now, this amplifier and its tube are past their burn in period and are making the R-50 sound better than with the DAC's headphone amplifier.  That is the way it was always supposed to be.  I will correct my review in this regard, understanding that the amplification impact is still greater on more bass capable headphones/IEMs.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #809 of 1,205
I dunno guy's I'm having better results with an amp. There's more body and weight to the signature, I find the headstage expands, vocals carry more heft, treble becomes snappy and bass tightens right up increasing in quantity . It just boosts the signature out. I'm not sure what amps you've tried though that's the case here with me. Makes R-50 sound much crisper too. I don't think you need one 100% but mine stay amped for most parts here with my sources. Oh, did I mention I prefer R-50 in certian area's over the W3 I have on loan? :wink:

Photo taken with music playing for extra awesomeness! :L3000:

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #810 of 1,205
Quote:
I dunno guy's I'm having better results with an amp. There's more body and weight to the signature, I find the headstage expands, vocals carry more heft, treble becomes snappy and bass tightens right up increasing in quantity . It just boosts the signature out. I'm not sure what amps you've tried though that's the case here with me. Makes R-50 sound much crisper too. I don't think you need one 100% but mine stay amped for most parts here with my sources. Oh, did I mention I prefer R-50 in certian area's over the W3 I have on loan?
wink.gif

Photo taken with music playing for extra awesomeness!
L3000.gif

What cable is that 3.5mm interconnect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back