Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #826 of 1,205
Quote:
I'm not used to IEMs beyond the cheapo ipod earbud & sub $20 tier kind.

How are these IEMs for cycling? I would prefer IEMs that will stand well against wind.

Sound isolating IEMs and cycling (on the road) are not a good mix for safety reasons... and could be unlawful in your state.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #827 of 1,205
Quote:
I'm not used to IEMs beyond the cheapo ipod earbud & sub $20 tier kind.

How are these IEMs for cycling? I would prefer IEMs that will stand well against wind.

With the stock tips they might not work to well but if you get some of the Etymotic gray triple-flange tips they'd work really good at blocking noise and the wind though I sure you'll still have a bit of wind noise but not to much.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #828 of 1,205
Well, I have to say I am impressed.  The fit will definitely take some getting used to... I haven't been able to set the guides set in a way that I am truly happy with yet.  The sound however sounds pure (I guess is the way to say it).  I've listen across the board in music types and even EDM seems to be good for my taste.  The best thing I think is that my ears would get tired with the S4s and they don't with these.  I just really hope I can get used to the fit.

I can't even imagine what they would sound like with an amp.  I think I may go for the C&C BH portable amp and steal H20s setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a very small sliver the the metal guide wire is sticking below the black rubber covering which is really annoying as it is sharp and occasionally will scratch my ear.  Any suggestions on this (I dont really feel like I should have to put black electrical tape over an IEM that I paid $120 for).  If there is any knock on the r-50s I would have to say it is that they just feel from a composition standpoint to be cheap.  It's like someone took $300 worth of sound quality and put it into a $30 pair of IEMs.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #829 of 1,205
I don't find it worth it to use an amp with these. As long as you have a good source then you should be fine. Using an amp is just never as portable as using them straight out of a portable player alone. These should get plenty loud and sound great with just an iPod, iPhone or Clip+ or similar player.  

The second part I highlighted is the reason I chose the GR01 instead. Same sound, but looks to be built better, and can be worn cable down instead of cable over ears. 
Quote:
Well, I have to say I am impressed.  The fit will definitely take some getting used to... I haven't been able to set the guides set in a way that I am truly happy with yet.  The sound however sounds pure (I guess is the way to say it).  I've listen across the board in music types and even EDM seems to be good for my taste.  The best thing I think is that my ears would get tired with the S4s and they don't with these.  I just really hope I can get used to the fit.

I can't even imagine what they would sound like with an amp.  I think I may go for the C&C BH portable amp and steal H20s setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a very small sliver the the metal guide wire is sticking below the black rubber covering which is really annoying as it is sharp and occasionally will scratch my ear.  Any suggestions on this (I dont really feel like I should have to put black electrical tape over an IEM that I paid $120 for).  If there is any knock on the r-50s I would have to say it is that they just feel from a composition standpoint to be cheap.  It's like someone took $300 worth of sound quality and put it into a $30 pair of IEMs.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #830 of 1,205
Other than sending them back you might just have to put some black electrical tape on them.  

The R-50 isn't the only IEM that cost over $100 with what some say is below average build quality like the SM3 though I think my SM3 V2 has decent build quality but for $400 it should be better.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #831 of 1,205

Can you not straighten the memory wire then slide it back inside the rubber?

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #832 of 1,205
Nah, I mean the rubber covering of the metal wire is completely tight, its almost like the wire is just a bit too long.  I put tape over it and it works fine... just not something I wanted to do 3 minutes after putting them on for the first time.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #833 of 1,205
Nah, I mean the rubber covering of the metal wire is completely tight, its almost like the wire is just a bit too long.  I put tape over it and it works fine... just not something I wanted to do 3 minutes after putting them on for the first time.

My only other suggestion is to grab a pair of nail clippers and snip that section off. (you would do so at your own risk) be EXTREMELY careful not to grab the cable.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #834 of 1,205
Quote:

Post a picture of this, without any electrical tape covering it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #835 of 1,205
I'll be sure to post some pictures, but right now I am traveling for the weekend and this is my only tape. Haha, so while it works I'll stick with it until I get home on Sunday.  Still impressed with the sound though and becoming much more used to the over ear wires.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #836 of 1,205
Well its time for me to get another pair of R-50's, I've been missing them ever since I sold them to help fund other purchases but now's the right time to get them again.  I've been needing a good IEM with brighter highs that don't sound ear piercing to go along with the warm sounding SM3 and the R-50 is perfect, I still think its the most detailed IEM you can get under $150.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #837 of 1,205
Hello everyone,

I live in India, and after several months of research, and thanks to the fantastic community at Head-Fi including |joker|, ClieOS and Techno Kid and everyone in this thread, settled on the R-50. I managed to acquire them via a friend holidaying in and returning from the US. I received them in hand about a month after the original date of order, and man, I LOVED them. The sound was everything I'd hoped for as a musician and person working in music production and engineering - accurate, close to neutral in overall tonality, incredibly detailed and with a great well-rounded soundstage. I loved them, until I discovered a connection issue right out of the box.

During that evening of intermittent listening, I put them on to suddenly discover absolutely NO sound from the left earpiece. I panicked and tried locating the possible cause, and finally traced it to left earpiece cabling, presumably within the earpiece housing itself. The general problem area appears to be the section of the cable going to the left earpiece through the memory wire. Fiddling with the wiring and gently pushing it inwards into the housing entrance temporarily solves the problem, but the connection seems to fall loose again in minutes. All this was within minutes of me opening the box, and I'm absolutely positive this is a manufacturing defect, possibly a loose solder joint.

Interestingly, ClieOS' review of the R-50 suggests that the point of entry of the cable into the earpiece housing appears to be delicate and should be handled with care. And I'm positive that in the hour or two that I used the R-50, I handled them as gently and carefully as I can imagine, especially the entire memory wire section, which seemed and looked delicate and potentially problematic to me the moment I opened the box.
In addition, I feel this is something of a design flaw - the memory wire section being designed to be used as earguides, as this obviously encourages twisting of the cable at that section, and possible tugging of the cable at the solder points inside the housing. But I know not everyone will agree with me on this point.

Being in India and without much financial means, I cannot afford to send these back to Rock It Sounds in the US to claim warranty - and the warranty terms include a 25$ return fee, along with the shipping of the product to the company in the first place, which in total will overall amount to almost half the original value of R-50 in the first place.

Can anyone advise me on what I could do to solve this, or how I could handle this situation with Rock It Sounds, or how I could attempt to fix this? Again, I am POSITIVE that this is a manufacturing defect, as I used them at my desk for a total of about 20 minutes of listening time, and absolutely babied them in every possible way, handling the memory wire section with almost ridiculous gentleness. This connection problem showed itself right out of the box, the sound dropping in and out depending on the angle of the earpiece in my ear and the memory wire around my ear.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #838 of 1,205
Mine shipped on the 28th of this month. I am excited to hear them coming from Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 and Klipsch s4 II.  How many days after you receive the item shipped email has everyone been receiving?

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #839 of 1,205
It is better to take off the ear guide from R-50. More comfortable.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #840 of 1,205
Update on my situation, Rockit Sounds has offered to refund my purchase amount. Good customer service and responsibility for the manufacturing defect. I am happy they have handled the situation responsibly.

Now I am on the lookout for something to replace the R-50, as its build quality is leaving me worried. Also, I auditioned my brother's TDK BA200 today, and found myself liking some of its characteristics, like it's weightier, more full-bodied representation of bass and percussion instruments. I did find the R-50 often a little unnaturally thin on percussive instruments like drums. However, I find the BA200 a bit too smoothed-over and laid-back at the top, I miss the sparkle and bell-like clarity of the R-50's treble.

Is there something you guys can recommend, that is sort of like an R-50 with a slightly fuller bottom-end, but without sacrificing as much treble extension and presence as the BA200? I can spend up to USD 180 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back