Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jul 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #378 of 1,205
Quote:
Hi guys, any idea how the R50 compares to the Ety HF5? Thanks.

R-50's are better imo.  They have the same amount of detail with a much much better soundstage and aren't sibilant.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #380 of 1,205
I haven't experienced any with my R-50 in 2 1/2 months of use but a lot of what I listen to doesn't have vocals.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #381 of 1,205
Quote:
I fortunately for you have both earphones but have not had enough time to compare. I will say you won't be disappointed by either but so far i think the R-50s are the way forward. 

Quote:

R-50's are better imo.  They have the same amount of detail with a much much better soundstage and aren't sibilant.

Hi, thanks Swimsonny and Techno Kid. There's different opinions in regards to sibilant. Would you guys mind sharing which source were you guys using when evaluating them. Could it be the tips used? Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #382 of 1,205
To be honest with both IEMs their is no real problems in sibilance do don't worry about that. I also have to say I have not experimented with tips yet. Source wise I am using a iPhone 4, Cowon J3 and a iPod Nano 3G with hippo cricri amp.

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #383 of 1,205
To be honest with both IEMs their is no real problems in sibilance do don't worry about that. I also have to say I have not experimented with tips yet. Source wise I am using a iPhone 4, Cowon J3 and a iPod Nano 3G with hippo cricri amp.[/quote

Ok, thanks Swimsonny. I have access to HF5 for audition but not for the R50. Can you please kindly briefing summaries the difference the them like the highs, mids, lows, coherency, musicality and most importantly as in which will be more versatile with wider range of source gear, music genre and source file. Thanks.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #384 of 1,205
Can anyone comment on how the R-50 compare to the A161?  i tried the A161 but did not like their lack of bass and bit too forward mids (though that may be somewhat related to lack of mid-bass support).  I've never heard a dual BA before and am leary of ordering one as they charge 20% restocking if you return them.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #386 of 1,205
I will get back to the HF5 vs. R-50 and do some a/bing tomorrow but my eBay listing of my UE700s ends tomorrow so for my last night with them i am doing some TWFK comparing between a DBA-02, UE700 and R-50.

Starting with the treble the UE700s are by far the most casual and laid back and also roll of a fair bit quicker but it does feel slightly thicker than the others. In comparison their is more presence to that of the R-50 and it also extends further with more sparkle. Their is also more detail which is the result of a thinner less textured treble. Instantly with the DBA-02 your gather a lot more extension and a tonne more sparkle to the R-50s which do not have a shabby amount. The texture also feels better and their is also more detail. The more forward treble though of the DBA-02 and R-50 results in a small peak which of course leads to hints of sibilance in the R-50 and a fair bit with the DBA-02 while the UE700 have none.

Treble: DBA-02 > R-50 > UE700

The mids of the three are again quite a bit different but is the biggest similarity between the R-50 and DBA-02. The DBA-02 and R-50 bring a new meaning to transparent mids and reveal all the details their are to bring but being very clinical the DBA-02 have more detail. The R-50 feel more airy but are slightly less forward than the DBA-02. As for the tones of them the DBA-02 are completely bright and perhaps nearing cold were as the R-50 are less bright and nearer warm. They both pack a lot of energy. The UE700 are of course detailed and transparent but not to the level of the other two but they do have the most relaxed and airy of the three. Their tone is the warmest and also the driest and vocals are softer with less energy.

Mids: DBA-02 >= R-50 > UE700

Bass on the three is rather varied and is perhaps what separates them. The UE700 have the most bass but are equally the loosest and have the weakest punches but also hit slower and softer with the largest body of the three. In fact it works down in order like that with the quantity going UE700, R-50, DBA-02 and then Speed and tightness of punches going DBA-02, R-50 followed by the UE700s. But take that with a pinch of salt as they are all very fast and also very tight even the UE700 but while the bass on the UE700 is not a shabby amount the DBA-02 is and the R-50 sits in the middle nicely and while i can see the DBA-02 bass quantity not being enough the R-50 should be fine for almost all people.

Mid-Bass Quantity: UE700 > R-50 > DBA-02
Mid-Bass Quality: DBA-02 > R-50 > UE700

The sub-bass on all of them is almost non-existent but if i had to be honest out of all three the only one i have felt a slight rumble on is the UE700.

Sub-Bass: UE700 > DBA-02 = R-50

Sound signature wise the DBA-02 have a top end heavy analytical signature with the forward highs dominating everything to an extreme and everything else being all about the quality and detail. The R-50 and UE700 are both balanced with nothing being really 'forward'. The UE700 do have a warmer more laid back sound which is the smoothest of the three and definitely the least fatiguing while the R-50 has a lot more energy with all the details but less smooth and warm and brighter sound.

Whats best, to my preference it is a close call between all three but the DBA-02 comes out on top followed closely by the R-50. Whats the most consumer orientated? I would have to say the UE700 and could actually be liked by most people the most out of the three. What should you get? Well thats for you to decide.

Hope you enjoyed this and i sadly bid farewell to my UE700, my second TWFK!

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #389 of 1,205
They both use the same cable which I think is poor as how quick and bad it dies. Housings are about the same as both plastic but there is rubber around the R-50 and for user friendly ness the R-50 has memory wire. Sound quality as I have mentioned above you can make what you want out of it and with the tips I am using it reduces a lot of DBA-02 sibilance as does my source.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #390 of 1,205
the R-shield pads are too small, my small ears only just fit, but they do sound good.

the R-50 do sound amazing for the price, but i still prefer the sound of the Shure SE425.

i put shure olives on the R-50 straight away.

You cant go wrong with the R20 and R30 for the price either.

I found it hard getting a good seal with the R10 and R11, but the sound isnt bad, a bit on the warmer side. will post a comparison in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back