Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #346 of 1,205
Quote:
These thing are built tough, I can't tell you how many time I've got the cord caught on a door handle or something and had them ripped out of my ears or ripped the jack out of the phone or mp3 player without damaging them.  I don't want to make this a habit but to know they can take some what of a beating and still stay together is nice.  Every time it happens though I think I just broke them so I need to watch my cord better.

That is expected, because the R-50 have a braided chord.  A braided chord is much stronger than it looks because of a physical principle.  This principle is best described in the book of Ecclesiastes, written by the wise King Salomon:

Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falls; for he does not have another to help him up.  Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?  And if one prevails against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken (Ecc 4:9-12).

The chord will not break, but you do not want to risk it with the joints between the chord and the housings, and the stereo plug.  So, you have written wisely when you said "so I intend to watch my chord better."

Even though I can see that these are not for everyone, I like my R-50 very much.  I have not used them much lately, since I am waiting for some non stock tips that are on the way to this part of the world, that will make them more comfortable (which is appreciated) and should make them sound better.  After I get those, I will write a good review on them.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #348 of 1,205
Glad to hear you like them and I totally agree with you about them being pretty much better in every way over the GR07. Thats why when anyone looking for a good IEM under $200 I tell them the R-50 all day, to me they're a better fitting and $60 cheaper version of the GR01 plus I feel the R-50 has a little bit more of a cohesive soundstage.

Now you might want to try some other tips, I use the Atrio MG7 foam or dual flange tips and it gives them an even larger soundstage. You can get a set of 3 for $10 on the Future Sonics site and imo its well worth it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #349 of 1,205
Quote:
Glad to hear you like them and I totally agree with you about them being pretty much better in every way over the GR07. Thats why when anyone looking for a good IEM under $200 I tell them the R-50 all day, to me they're a better fitting and $60 cheaper version of the GR01 plus I feel the R-50 has a little bit more of a cohesive soundstage.

Now you might want to try some other tips, I use the Atrio MG7 foam or dual flange tips and it gives them an even larger soundstage. You can get a set of 3 for $10 on the Future Sonics site and imo its well worth it.

I have the GR07s on loan so i look forward to seeing how the compare up!

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #350 of 1,205
Quote:
I have the GR07s on loan so i look forward to seeing how the compare up!

The only thing that the GR07 has over the R-50 is a little bit wider soundstage but the R-50 has better depth and also a more cohesive sound over all.  As far as detail they're about the same but I feel the R-50 has better imaging and separation, they really are the king of the bang for buck IEM's imo.  They can hold their own vs the W4 which is about $300 more.

I see that your getting a pair also Swimsonny and like I tell others you should look into getting some Atrio MG7 foam or dual flange tips, even both.  It gives the soundstage a larger more open feel which really enhances the over all sound.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #351 of 1,205
There is absolutely no depth at all to the GR07s soundstage :p Surely the GR07s have sub-bass rumble over them (R50) as the GR07s very rarely but still do give a little bass-shake and i have never got the from either of my TWFK IEMs (DBA-02 and UE700).

I have 100s of tips so i think i will be fine in that regards so do not worry about me an tip rolling ;P

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #352 of 1,205
Quote:
There is though no depth at all to the GR07s soundstage :p Surely the GR07s have sub-bass rumble over them as the GR07s very rarely give a little shake and i have never got the from either of my TWFK IEMs.

Wait, what? Could you re-word that please..
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #355 of 1,205
Quote:
There is though no depth at all to the GR07s soundstage :p Surely the GR07s have sub-bass rumble over them as the GR07s very rarely give a little shake and i have never got the from either of my TWFK IEMs.

I have 100s of tips so i think i will be fine in that regards so do not worry about me an drip rolling ;P

Yea the GR07 doesn't really have much if any depth and as for the bass, yes the GR07 has more rumble and impact but I feel the R-50 actually has a good amount of bass impact and depth.  I also like the texture and detail of the bass more than the R07.

While the GR07 is a technically good IEM the lack of energy just makes them sound a bit boring to me at times.  Now I'm not saying the R-50 has energy like lets say the FXT90, its just a very fun and musical IEM with plenty of detail.  I think that analytical listeners and the consumer based crowd could all enjoy the R-50.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #356 of 1,205
Quote:
Ha, MUCH better.

You sure you have the right fit with the 07? Well, I guess I'll wait to read your review.

Oh yeh i have the right seal and fit, they are very good just seem 2 dimensional with no depth, probably my main disliking. It is very apparent with older recordings such as the beatles. I must say depth is something TWFK do well so i look forward to see how the R50 are in that element.
Quote:

Yea the GR07 doesn't really have much if any depth and as for the bass, yes the GR07 has more rumble and impact but I feel the R-50 actually has a good amount of bass impact and depth.  I also like the texture and detail of the bass more than the R07.

While the GR07 is a technically good IEM the lack of energy just makes them sound a bit boring to me at times.  Now I'm not saying the R-50 has energy like lets say the FXT90, its just a very fun and musical IEM with plenty of detail.  I think that analytical listeners and the consumer based crowd could all enjoy the R-50.

I was only bringing bass up as its wrong to say any IEM truly whitewashes and another and that is as i expected. But i did imagine it would have good impact. 

Their is not a lot of energy in the mids of the GR07 and they do sound drive which is not something i was to keen on but their is bass energy and treble erngey which is nice. Anyway lets wait and see, i should have them soon!

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #357 of 1,205
Quote:
Oh yeh i have the right seal and fit, they are very good just seem 2 dimensional with no depth, probably my main disliking. It is very apparent with older recordings such as the beatles. I must say depth is something TWFK do well so i look forward to see how the R50 are in that element.
I was only bringing bass up as its wrong to say any IEM truly whitewashes and another and that is as i expected. But i did imagine it would have good impact. 

Their is not a lot of energy in the mids of the GR07 and they do sound drive which is not something i was to keen on but their is bass energy and treble erngey which is nice. Anyway lets wait and see, i should have them soon!

What tips are you using on the 07?

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #358 of 1,205
Quote:

Now you might want to try some other tips, I use the Atrio MG7 foam or dual flange tips and it gives them an even larger soundstage. You can get a set of 3 for $10 on the Future Sonics site and imo its well worth

I made my own tips.. It's a combination of comply S-400, the stock small, and the GR-07 foam filled Hybrids.. It isolates superbly, goes really deep into the ears, and sounds aaasum! 
dt880smile.png

But i gotto say, the stock tips are class A cheapos.. man, seriously, these kinda tips come along with 10$ "iems"

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #359 of 1,205
Quote:
I made my own tips.. It's a combination of comply S-400, the stock small, and the GR-07 foam filled Hybrids.. It isolates superbly, goes really deep into the ears, and sounds aaasum! 
dt880smile.png

But i gotto say, the stock tips are class A cheapos.. man, seriously, these kinda tips come along with 10$ "iems"

Interesting, any pictures of your creation?
Quote:

What tips are you using on the 07?

I use my Phonak tips, big improvement over others in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back